1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

upgrade from G2 to G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kleinekeep, Apr 5, 2013.

1. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    Hi Guys, i'd like youre advise.

I picked up a used G2

I love the feel of the camera and all the buttons and the interface, but the G5 has a bit less buttons.

To be honest. My (Olympus) EPM-1 take a bit better pictures. I think the colors pop a bit more and it has more dr. Though the iso is better on the G2 i think.

How much better is the image quality of the G5? Is it worth the upgrade? Is it better than the epm-1. How's the DR? on it.

Or save a bit more money and buy the EM5? though i think its a bit small. I like the feel of the panny's a lot more!

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I made the upgrade because a small problem in the G2. The G5 has a much better performance at low light. Its ISO 3200 is as clean or better then ISO 800 on the G2. It was hard at first to get used for the missing buttons but using the directional buttons it is fast and you get more options. If you need it the electronic shutter is a blessing.
    The camera is faster in any aspect you need Burst, AF ...
    I have checked also the OMD but it did not feel comfortable in my hands.

3. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    The G5 will give you better results, noise wise and color wise.

OTOH if you are comfortable with the Olympus menus and handling (I'm not, after owning two Olys) then the EM-5 may be a better choice for you.

Note that the G6 is likely to be announced "any day now", so you should get a good price on the G5 but it will soon be last year's model.

4. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    thanks for the advice.

@w7ox
    Is the g5 already almost a year old now? the g6 comming already?

I'm used to the menu's of both i think.

I'm looking for pure image quality now.
    I think i'll upgrade only now so i don't have to do so again in the near future comming 2 years or so.

@evalon
    G2 is a great machine (buttons, functions and so on). But in my oppion, the image quality is a bit worse than the oly. So i was a bit worried about the g5 vs the omd. (the hg3 is out of reach, and i think the stills are almost the same as g5). So the G5 is a save choice?
    I agree on the feel, i have very small hand, but still the g feels much better in the hand.

Advice: all in all. g5 over omd a good choice? and worth the upgrade?

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    In terms of IQ the G5 is excellent and according to reviews the OMD is a little better. (RAW performance I do not shot JPG)
    The current price difference is 500$ in Amazon (both with 14-42). If you must spend the extra money then get the G5 plus your favourite decent prime, this will give you a better IQ then the OMD. In term of economics the depreciation of lenses is smaller the bodies, therefor lenses are better investment.

What is photographic interest.

6. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    Thanks again, i like to shoot, portraits, landscapes and streetshots. And now and then do some indoor photographs (to sell houses).
    I've got a 45mm zuiko (i love tons) for portraits.

I'm doubting about a (ultra) wide angle, but hate the "fisheye effect":
    I see you have a 7.5mm rokinon. how does it suite you. Is it any good for phographing houses (indoors) and landscapes? Is the distortion handleble.
    (sorry for my bad english)

In stead of a prime i like the zoom option, and not have to change lenses all the time. I think the 12-35 is magnificent but not within reach. Other options (aforbable) ar not there i think.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The Rokinon is a great lens, I use it allot for landscape. You can see some examples at my Flicker stream.

It can be defished look at the following link for example
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: Defished fisheye compared with ultra-wide
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: Defishing fisheye images

Here is an example of internal shot in natural form

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8138524716/" title="The pirates gallery Jerusalem by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8138524716_94f2d778e9_b. "1024" height="768" alt="The pirates gallery Jerusalem"></a>

If the 14mm is wide enough you can get one from Ebay at approx 170$.
    It can serve you as internal shoot and street shot. A quality zoom is the P14-45, I have it and going to get the P12-35 in the future only because I want the 12mm end.

8. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    is it much better than the 14-42 either pan and oly i have, the panny isn't that great tough.
    I'll may bee sell 1 or both to buy the 14-45 then.

9. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I've had a G3 and G2. Honestly I prefer to use the G2. I love the ergonomics and 'rubbery' feel of the grip. It's a much better handling camera. The G3 undoubtedly took better pictures. It was faster, more responsive and much cleaner at high ISO. I think the G5 is a bit faster and better still. I did get tired of using the touch screen and menus to control the G3.

So if you want the best pictures for the lowest price then get a G5. It will take great pictures. But if you really want all of the buttons like the G2, I would sell your G2 and PM1 and get a used GH2. Seems like the best compromise.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The P14-45 is much better then the P14-42 I have them both, regarding the Olympus I do not know.

11. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    I think the G5 is a real step up in IQ, especially at higher ISO. Color engine is better, potentially better resolution with 16MP vs 12, but really the 16MP GH2 derived sensor is just better than the G2. The G5 Venus engine is better than the GH2 also.

You may wish to play a waiting game and time your G5 purchase after the G6 announcement at the end of April 2013. You may get that much lower a price.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I had the G2 for two years and loved it. It took some amazing photographs. I upgraded to the G5 in December, and loved it.

It does everything better than the G2. It has less dials and levers, but much more programmable function buttons. It's very comfortable to hold but I think it's a tie since I love the feel of the G2. It is faster in all functions than the G2, the screen is much higher resolution, and image quality is much better at high ISO.

My only complaint is the rear dial is not as smooth and touch screen is less responsive sometimes. I highly recommend the G5.

13. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    Thanks all, i saw that the g6 is going to be announced end of this month.
    I think patience is the key word. For either the new features (wifi?). or the price drop.
    But patiance is a difficult thing, since the cash is burning ;)

14. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I picked up my G5 to replace my G10. It was partially a birthday gift. The upgrade from the G10 was a huge leap. Image quality, customization of menu and buttons....it's the most user friendly camera have ever used.

As to waiting for the G6 for a price drop, I don't know how long you'll have to wait. The G5 us already pretty heavily discounted and there are already great deals to be had if you keep your eyes open. I got mine three weeks ago with the 45-150 and a spare panasonic battery for under $600 from B&H.

15. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    You're (at the US), a bit ahead of us, the prices are dropping a bit now. its like 500euro (650 $) for body only. 600 (780$) with standard kit lens (14-42 not the x version). So your's looks like a great deal. The only thing i'm missing is the wifi i think.

16. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    I bourght it Yesterday, when i came home the new g6 was annouced :(.
    But i made a good deal and i realy like the cam so far.
    The G6 would be a bit more expensive, with the same setup. And when wil it be in stores.
    First day testing i loved the G5, have to setup one and other, more to my likings but al in all, love it tons.
    Got the 45-150mm 2, looks so damm sexy.
    Took some portraits yesterday with it,works out nice.

Only thing i want is thetering option or wifi of some sort.
    One of you guys experience with thetered shooting, with the pannasonic?

17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Congrats for the new purchase this is a great camera.
    The first G to have tethered ability is the G6.