1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade from G2 for street photography-lens or camera body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by LuckVIII, Jun 10, 2013.

1. LuckVIII

LuckVIII New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2013
    I current own Panasonic G2 with Panasonic 20/1.7 and Len kit. Looking over my shots I've learned a couple of things.
    I don't shoot movie
    I like the candid shots of people ie street performer where you can see the excitement in their face and children who cuddle up to their parents
    I tend to shot in low light
    I avoid using flash
    I post most pictures on web

Current limitations
    iso 1600 too noisy (straight from camera) to use for web
    Wish I was able to get a closer shot without disturbing the interaction (kids tends to react when I get closer)

I can shot manual with the camera which is why I loved the G2 with its various dials but I want to improve the quality of my shots. I was wondering if I will see a better increase in image quality and capturing more great shots if I invested in more lens or in a better camera?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah, in the street a G2 looks a lot like a big black DSLR (OK, when it's not red or blue),
    but trading up you're going to either have a similar profile (G5), lose controls (e-pM2/e-pL5) or spend money (e-M5)
    And at your favoured focal length THERE IS NO MORE LENS, aside from slowish focus the Lumix 20mm is the dog's bollards.

The four cameras I have mentioned would be a step up from the G2 in terms of higher ISO noise, and general speed of operation.

How about a GX1 if you don't mind losing the viewfinder? They are selling both new and used at ridiculously low prices at the moment.

3. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    More ISO is more valuable to street photography, the 20mm is a fine street lens in my opinion, you could consider the 25mm if you wanted more quality, doubt you'd notice it much for web only viewing though.

Depending on your budget, G5/OMD if it's high, G3 if not so high.

4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I would think you have a great set up already for street photography. I use an EP1 with the Oly 17mm F/2.8. One of the camera presets is specifically configured for street use:

Auto ISO range 800 - 1600 to ensure the shutter speed is around 1/300 upwards to freeze subjects.
    JPG + RAW with JPG set to monochrome
    Shutter release set to mode 3 (as I recall) where the lens is able to be zone focused at F/8 at 8 feet. This enables full focus from 4 feet to infinity.
    When pressing the shutter halfway, exposure is then locked.
    Shutter is in continuous shooting mode.

The reason I believe you have a great set up already is that most post process their street work into monochrome with some grain effect. Therefore the higher ISO setting of a G2 would not be an issue. With the Pany 20mm lens zone focused there is no shutter delay, so the only thoughts required are looking for subjects and scenes to shoot.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    There are a couple different things you could do based on how much you want to spend.

Picking up a GX1 body while they are on sale would be a good move -- smaller, higher resolution, better in low light. If you want the EVF you can pick up one of those two.

As for lenses, the 20mm is one of the best for street. The Oly 17mm is good too, but if you don't want to go wider then the Panasonic 25mm is even better than the 20mm. You could also look at the Sigma 30mm -- longer and cheaper than the other two, but slower.

The down side is that none of those lenses are pancake lenses like the 20mm.

One of the lenses I like when walking around the streets is the 14-42 Power Zoom. It's a lot slower than the 20mm, and optically not as good (but not bad, either). But, it is a pancake lens when powered off, and it gives a lot of versatility. Being able to go out to an 84mm equivalent focal length can be handy if you don't want to disturb people. And if you are mainly shooting outdoors in daylight the speed isn't a problem.

6. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Get a 45mm 1.8 and Olympus E-PM2 for more discreet and better high ISO performance with improved sensor + IBIS