Upgrade from epm1 to EM10 what will I notice?

mix123

Mu-43 Regular
Hi. I've been using my epm1 for a few years now. I have a few lenses (20mm, 45mm, 9mm, 14-42). I'm thinking of upgrading my body to an EM10 or an EM5. What are the first things I'll notice when I upgrade?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
It's not magic, but if you take the time to learn how to use it, e.g., settings, ergonomics, etc., it's easier to get what you want. In particular:

1. The EVF helps a lot in bright light and with long lenses.
2. The IBIS works much better than that of the E-PM1 and the shutter shock issue is diminished, although I still use a 1/8 s anti-shock.
3. The sensor has at least a stop better noise control at high iso.
4. The LCD is better proportioned for playback.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
It's not magic, but if you take the time to learn how to use it, e.g., settings, ergonomics, etc., it's easier to get what you want. In particular:

1. The EVF helps a lot in bright light and with long lenses.
2. The IBIS works much better than that of the E-PM1 and the shutter shock issue is diminished, although I still use a 1/8 s anti-shock.
3. The sensor has at least a stop better noise control at high iso.
4. The LCD is better proportioned for playback.

Off topic, but why don't you use the 0 second anti-shock?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I use it with the E-P5, but the E-M5 doesn't have that feature and I had the E-M5 in mind. The OP should use it if he gets an E-M10.

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the EM5 and EPM1. For walking around a city taking snapshots in the daytime, the EPM1 is still excellent. What is better is the IBIS for longer exposures, EVF for longer lenses, tilt screen for waist level shots, and the far better DR and ISO performance. If you shoot casual video, you have to turn off IBIS in the EPM!, but you should turn it on for the EM5. For EM10, I dunno. The mode dial is great, as is the ease of changing EV and shutter/aperture with the twin dials.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
A completely richer photographic experience.

This might have come off as a flip comment but it was not meant to be. I have all three cameras, the E-PM1 was my travel and everyday camera camera for quite a while, the E-M10 has replaced it. The controls, particularly the external controls, the IBIS, the EVF, and ergonomics all lent themselves to more accurate settings when shooting and better composition. It is far it easy to use the E-PM1 as a P&S. You will enjoy either E-M5 or 10 and the E-PM1 will make a great second body.

Latest threads

Top Bottom