Upgrade from E-PL1, and..which VF?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Starred, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Hi all,
    I currently have an E-PL1, combined with the Oly 9-18 and 14-150, as well as the Pana 20/1.7

Although I have been happy with this combo for the last 18 months, I am looking for possibilities to further upgrade PQ.

So, I was thinking about a new cam, but I am not sure what to buy.
    -Is the EP3 really a significant step forward in PQ compared to the EPL1?
    -Are the Panasonic camera's all out of scope because they have no IBIS and my lenses do not have stabilization as well? If not, what model should I consider?

And I also would like to have a VF to better shoot in bright light. Preferably an internal one, but since there no such an Oly, I suppose getting an external one is the only option.
    As the VF-2 and VF-3 do not differ that much in cost, what is the best option? The higher resolution of the VF2 or the ability to lock the VF3 and the better shape of the VF3?

Looking forward to your opinions!

• Like Like x 1
  2. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I like the VF-2 a great deal especially for shooting on sunny days, and for focusing with manual lenses. The resolution is fantastic. It's a joy to use. The capacity for the VF-2 to fall out of the hotshoe has been well documented, however it does not happen to me ... and others have also reported no problems.

Better shape???? They're both butt ugly. :rofl:

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally don't see enough in terms of IQ difference between the E-P3 and the E-PL1 for that alone to convince me of an upgrade. What the E-P3 does give is a better overall build, AF performance, and much more refinement.

I wouldn't even consider the VF3 (albeit I have yet to see it in person) because they advertise less resolution than the VF2.

My take on the original post is to get the VF2 on the E-PL1 and see if you are happy. You still maintain the option to move on to the E-P3 later keeping the VF2.

One thing to note regarding the VF2 + E-P3:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-p3-becomes-unresponsive-vf-2-a-14581/

Not sure if the bug has been resolved yet.

PS> I use a lens cap keeper to physically tie the VF-2 to the camera's neck strap loop to prevent loss. Simple, cheap, and effective solution.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Regarding the VF, if you want an evf now, your only option is the VF-2. The VF-3 isn't out yet. If you don't need an evf right away you can just wait until the VF-3 comes out and check the reviews. The VF-3 is a good amount cheaper.

With regards to "improved picture quality", what specifically do you mean by that? Better dynamic range? Better high ISO performance? Better JPEGs?

5. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Better all :smile:

But I would already be very happy if the JPEGs are significantly better

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    They made tweaks to the current sensor, so there is not a significant step forward in image quality in the E-p3. As was stated above, get the VF-2 now (the vf-3 doesnt make sense to me at all to be honest, priced only slightly lower then tha vf-2 and lower resolution - the vf-2 is universally enjoyed by users, and is basically a no brainer). Wait on the E-p3, or perhaps e-pl3 or e-pm1 when they arrive.

7. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Ok, just ordered a VF-2! :cool:

Combined with my EPL1, I hope this will be sufficient untill a 'pro-pen' with build-in viewfinder arives (if ever...)

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats!

I think you'll like it and it seems that Olympus intends on keeping the VF2 supported in future models of camera body.

PS> Careful with though. Mine has fallen off once in the years or less time I have had it. It didn't go far as it is attached to the camera via a lens cap keeper.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'd like to give a VF3 a try and see what its like, having never used the VF2 I don't suppose I'd know the difference! I'd like to see UK pricing though, would rather pay a little extra for the VF2 is theres a small difference.

10. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Received the VF2 today. First impression: lots of moire!?
    Is this normal?

11. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I'd like to know what others think, as mine does the same.... I haven't used it enough to comment extensively, but I've heard of the VF-2's 'shimmering effect' when things are in focus. Same thing?