1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Upgrade" from E-M1 to E-M5 II ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zulfur666, Feb 13, 2015.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Anyone considered changing from the E-M1 to the E-M5 II? I sometimes "miss" my retro E-M5 but had upgraded to the E-M1 for wifi, higher shutter speed and hoped for better build (which it is)
    What do I miss about my old E-M5? Its smaller form factor and its "retro" looks :)
    Wonder how the E-M5 II would handle the 40-150 f/2.8 though. Also I actually like the total flip screen better than the "just" tilt option of the old E-M5 and E-M1.
    Obviously a upgrade or change usually costs me dearly as I also have to change the UW housing. I always carry 2 of the same cameras to have a "spare" in case one breaks.
    Thoughts? thanks

2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Not I. In fact, I'm considering selling my E-M5 and adding a second E-M1 to my kit. The E-M5 II adds some pretty cool features, but its clear that the E-M1 is still positioned as the flagship, with the best hardware for fast C-AF, which is crucial to me. Also, Olympus keeps improving the firmware with the E-M1, and the update that will coincide with the release of the E-M5 II looks like the best firmware enhancement yet!

The release actually just makes me more excited about what the E-M1 II might look like, and be capable of. I get a feeling the next flagship will see more megapixels, 4k video, plus all the new features in the E-M5II. I'm hoping they add some cross points to the PDAF array, also. That's when I will upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Agree. the E-M5 II is just telling me how much nicer the next version of the E-M1 will be, and that's seems likely to be out towards the end of this year. I can wait that long.

• Like Like x 1
  4. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    You're more optimistic than I am about the E-M1 successor release date. I can see why they would want to get the flagship updated to equal and better the E-M5, but they have a history of letting it go until the regular upgrade cycle comes around. The E-30 trumped the E-3 in many ways, and Olympus still took forever to update the flagship to the E-5. At least they are giving us meaningful firmware updates that add real value to the flagship, in the mean time.

5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Only reason I can see to go em1 to em5ii is video. Can't see any other reason if your happy with the performance of an em1 and what it does. So if video is unimportant, seems like gear acquisition syndrome...it will zero for photography for you.

Btw, I highly highly doubt any successor to the em1 will happen anytime soon. Probably 12-18months at least for any announcement from them and a few after for distribution.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My estimate is that Olympus will hold off the introduction of a new E-M1 until the next Photokina in 2016.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I'm actually wanting to "upgrade" my EM1 to the new EM5 II if I can sell my EM1 without taking too much of a hit.

Sole reason is wanting a slightly smaller camera since I only shoot primes on my EM1 and the protruding grip is unnecessary for my needs. I personally prefer the form factor of the EM5/EM5II/EM10 over the EM1. The better IBIS is a bonus, but other than that, the EM1 is still admittedly the "better" camera overall.