Upgrade from a GF-1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by m1pui, Jan 23, 2013.

1. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Just a bit of a musing at the moment, but I've been thinking about which direction to go in from my GF-1. I'm not unhappy with it by any means, but I am a man and that tickle of change is appearing in my head :biggrin:

In fact, I've been quite smitten with the GF-1 really. I bought the camera in 2010 and this is the first time I can remember considering upgrading it. Consequently, I've not even really followed the changes/trends in the camera world so not 100% sure what the currents models are!!

I've got the 20mm/f1.7 & 45mm/f2.8 & Nissin flashgun, but what would be the possible routes to head down?

I'm thinking GX-1 body (approx £280), but also been looking in the direction of the Fuji X10 (£290), Sony RX100 (£450) or maybe even an NEX 3/5...

What are the general ideas about those and are their any other models I've overlooked?

2. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Do look at the G3.

The G3 is almost the same camera as the GX1, but includes the EVF and the flip out screen. B&H has them as a close out sale for only $250 for just a body, and you already own the lens. I like mine so much I ordered another one along with the 25mm lens. It shipped today. Some people were upset that they didn't buy one when these first went on sale at B&H at that price, as it looked like they had sold out. Then they received more, and I just wasn't going to let it pass. There is something to be said about keeping a camera and ringing everything out of it you can. They all can do more than we request of them, if we would only learn how to really use them. That is why I bought a second one. It is already the best camera I have owned (as far as output). And I have owned a lot of Nikon equipment in the past. That was what was so upsetting as well as finding to my delight just how good the Panasonic was. In prints, it looked every bit as good as my D200 with the 17-35mm f/ 2.8 lens. Actually it looked better. Yes, the G3 turned out a better print image than my over $3,000 kit. And now it is on sale for just $250.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 1
  3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I nabbed a GX1 body from Amazon Wharehouse Deals (so refurb'd) for $229 and I'm really loving it. I did end up getting the viewfinder attachment which is very cool aside from the external flash limitation (in that you can't use one if you are using the viewfinder).

That GX1 with the 20/1.7 is a tidy little powerhouse that produces stellar images.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The best way to approach this decision is to try to determine why (other than the itch of GAS) you feel like replacing the GF-1 at this time. Is there a particular use case where you feel like you've reached the limits of the GF-1's abilities (e.g. low light/high ISO, action/focus speed, bigger enlargements/more pixels, etc.)? Is there a particular shooting situation where the GF-1 no longer fits your needs? Are you unhappy with some aspect of the ergonomics or controls of the GF-1?

As you try to answer some of these types of questions I think the decision will become clearer and the advice you receive will be more valuable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    I'm in exactly the same position as youi have the P14 lens as well so a sticking with Panny (as I can't afford an OMD!!). So, like you i love my gf1, so the gx1 is an obvious upgrade but I really fancy an Evf and moving screen, so it's a G3 soon (great value for money) or save up for a G5 ;-)

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The current price of the G3 is indeed a GREAT value.

7. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I hadn't considered the G3, but I the styling of it doesn't appeal to me either. I have a DSLR in a Canon 500D and prefer to keep it separate from my M4/3 kit lol.

It is nothing other than a fancy for wanting to replace the GF-1. I just think that there are some great deals/bargains out there so why not dabble a little bit. TBH, if I went for the GX-1 I may even hang onto the GF as well. Used value is perhaps only around £120 max on eBay.

I've no issues with AF speeds or IQ on prints, 10x8 is probably the max I print at normally. Perhaps I could ask for better performance at higher ISO but, for what I usually shoot, even that isn't terribly bad at ISO800 (I'm no pixel peeper).

$250 is an absolute bargain for the G3 though! Cheapest over here is about £275 which is about $440. Same with a GX1 for $230. New they're £280 at the cheapest, even used is at most only about £50 less.

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I know the power of GAS can be strong, but I would honestly recommend that you stand pat for the time being -- it certainly sounds to me like the GF-1 suits your current needs very well. The prices of all of those "great deals/bargains" that you are currently seeing are only going to get lower with time.

If you really have some money burning a hole in your pocket why not invest in a new lens (try out the Oly body-cap lens), or some complementary system (whether that's a GoPro or a nice compact camera or whatever) and hold off on replacing the GF-1 until you identify a strong reason or deficiency with it.

9. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    I can't see either the G3 or GX-1 getting any cheaper. When launched the were twice the price. OP-er, the G3 is very small, maybe don't discount it on ergonomics unless / until you've handled it????

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    What do you shoot? (action or still stuff?)

I went from the GF1 to the OM-D and found it a significant leap in performance. I enjoy shoot mainly people and people moving, (some move slow others move fast), and the OM-D has replaced my FF camera for most everything. (I'm shooting another event for publication tonight only with OM-D's.)

Gary

11. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I'm sure the ergonomics of the G3 are great and I absolutely agree it's a fantastic camera, but it is the styling that rules it out. As I said, I've got a DSLR and still in fact have my old Canon S3iS (which also has a tilt/swivel screen) bridge camera and whilst I like them both, it's not what I want from my GF-1 or it's successor.

The EVF is a non-essential for me too. I bought the LVF-1 at the same time as I bought my GF-1 and I've genuinely used it less than half a dozen times and it's not even been in my camera bag for probably the best part of 18 months

-------

Mostly still. Family photo's, candids, travel/holiday but I like to try a bit of anything. The most action is probably cousins children running riot or the occasional street performer type thing.

12. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Now we know something.

Now we know you didn't use the EVF and while that was a big item for me, is isn't for you. Both the G3 and GX1 can use touch screen focus which I have found to be handy. You can touch anywhere on the screen, and it will focus on that spot, and then take the picture. This is really nice if you ever shoot birds. I do use my flip out screen (the GX1 doesn't have that) and aim it at my bird feeder, and touch the eye on the screen and it will focus and then take the picture. I do this using my 14-45 mm zoom and they have all been sharp. I can also do this and most of the time people don't know I am taking their picture (shooting the street). That said the GX1 looks like a wonderful camera, and that is the problem. There are too many great cameras out there. I didn't really plan to buy the other G3, and if I had ordered the day before I placed my order I would not have done so. But while driving with my wife I asked her about it, and she told me that at $250 that was so cheap, it isn't worth thinking about, just do it. I love my wife.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 1
  13. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    ^ ^ ^ Ditto

14. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Well I went and ordered a GX-1 this afternoon :rolleyes:

I hadn't even looked at the OM-D until it'd been mentioned here, but my god that's a gorgeous camera! Unfortunately, it's about 4x the price of the GX-1. Even if I plumbed for a grey import from HK it'd be about £630 (before import taxes) so still over double the GX body.

The real clincher was that I've gotten a package deal with an ACME Union Kit Messenger for £8. Can't pass up a bargain like that... :redface:

15. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    well, the current prices on the GX1 certainly are tempting. and it will be a nice step up.

i'm still holding out though. a new camera, even if it is a great deal, just isn't in the cards at the moment, with the expenses of a new house and all.
    fortunately the GF1 is just as good as it was the day i got it.

16. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I have to say I do like the GX-1. It feels a bit more substantial in the hand than the GF and I like the moulded grip on the front. The menu system and some of the handling is different enough that it feels like a "new camera" without being a complete change.

Touchscreen focus point are a great little feature over the GF-1 too :)

8443262984_cf80966796_z.
    Beamish Feb 2013 by puihungma, on Flickr

GX-1, 20mm, f8 @ ISO800

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm surprised there is no mention of the E-PM2/E-PL5? Same sensor as the OM-D.

18. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I did look briefly at the E-PL5, but the price diff was still over 70% more than what I paid for the GF-1.

If I'd gone that route, I might as well have just gone the whole hog and got a grey import OM-D