Upgrade from a G2 to a G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hipertec, Jul 6, 2013.

1. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    With the recent deals for a G5 kit, I wonder if its worth upgrading from my G2? I love the way the G2 looks (bigger, yet I do have small hands) but does the G5 have much better IQ and functions to justify the investment?
    Love to hear from people that has or had them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    G2 is the best Panasonic camera with the old 12MP sensor. I loved its output at ISO 100 and it was actually noticeably cleaner at low ISOs than the sensor in the GH2/G5/G6 is. However, starting at ISO 400 the G5 will have much better image quality. Also the G5 has much better dynamic range and significantly faster AF.

As of functions, I believe they are more or less on par.

3. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    G5 with kit lens for $348. Just sayin' ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

4. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I brought the G5 less than a month ago ($398), but, not necessarily as an upgrade to my G2. I think the G2 is the perfect camera for me. I bought the the G5 for higher ISO, better IQ, and better sensor. I never noticed that the G2 AF was slow, and, haven't noticed that the G5 is a lot faster, probably because that hasn't caught my attention. I dislike the location of the F/SS dial on the G5, makes it a little difficult to turn without pressing and changing to EV. I haven't begun to scratch the surface of all the menu controls in the G5. I do miss the dial controls of the G2. I have never been a "touch screener" for focus placement, shutter release or composing. It merely shows me information. I will probably not replace either camera in the near or far future. Unless they put the better ISO, IQ and sensor in a G2 body.

Attached Files:

5. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Did you see a vast improvement in the IQ and taking pics at a higher ISO on the G5? I really like the way the G2 looks, larger size, and multiple dials. Is the G5 much smaller? Love the pic from the top...happen to have a pic from the front you can post?

6. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    I have never owned a G2, but i tested today my G5 with higher ISO, and as long as you are shooting RAW format, G5 is pretty good up to ISO 6400. I believe G5 can do it better than G2 since G5 has slightly better 16 megapixel sensor.

My example shot from today at ISO 6400

9222808057_14a63f9428_z.
    b_iso6400_2 by kervo lightning, on Flickr

Actually i was surprised at the result and this is good enough for me.

7. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    Just a brief mention of agreement with Dan Ka: The F/SS dial is really aggravating to me on the G5. I never have trouble with it on the G1, but am always switching to EV when I try to use it on the G5. I think it requires a sensitive touch or use a fingernail to rotate it and avoid pressing the switch. I haven't quite made it through the learning curve for the G5 yet. So far it still feels like a cheaper version of the G1 even though it offers a lot in higher ISO.

8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I like more the size and direct buttons of the old G1 and G2, but I like more the G5 sensor and High ISO performance.
    The best of both worls would be a G7 with the performance of the G5-G6 on a G1-G2 body.

Sorry for my ignorance (I don't read that much the instructions manual), what is the F/SS dial you are talking about?

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Sounds like you're looking for a GH2 - basically the same sensor as the G5, but a body quite similar to the G1/2.

10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I was also looking at the upgrades to my G2, but as others have noted, I would want my G2 exactly as it is, with the latest sensor and engine in it, no other changes. End of the day I decided to pick up a GX1 as it will act as both a better high ISO cam, and an almost pocketable cam for when I want to go out with a small bag and a couple of primes. Plus at the price who could resist a GX1!! :)

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have both G2 and G5 and shoot both. The G5 produces much better images at high ISO, that is a fact. The G5 is also much speedier in operation, and has a better EVF and display. However it is noticably smaller but still has a comfortable grip. If you want G2 size, perhaps wait a little longer for the G6?

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  13. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I agree the G5 has better IQ. I haven't shot at high ISO yet - I usually don't, but, anticipate that I will. Some other peeves about the G5 coming from the G2 beside the F/SS dial (called "rear dial" in the manual) are the swapping of the Qmenu and playback buttons and the smaller cursor dial. But, if I was new to the G5 those would not be issues. I, personally, need to get used to the changes and remember which camera I'm using. Attached are front views of the cameras as requested and rear views as well.
    P1010407cr.

P1010404cr.

14. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I agree with most of the posts here. G2 has a much better build quality than g5.

I hope a g7 provides this quality but I think
    Panasonic have permanently moved to the plasticky feel and won't bring back those great physical controls.
    An extra button here and there doesn't make up for removing those dials.

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Thats what I am thinking too.
    But the one major drawback of all of them is the rear thumb wheel.
    That is why for ergonomics I Feel the best so far have been the G1/GH1, but then again I have not handled a G6 yet and that might be just as good for all I know.