1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade Decisions - From a GX1 to a ......

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Bl0at3r, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    OM-D, GX7 or E-P5

Discuss....

Your choice of which body and why please. (I've had 2 OM-Ds but would have another if that was the best choice).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

2. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    I went from GX1 to E-M5 and feel very satisfied. I didn't like the GX7 handling, so the E-M5 was the real obvious choice for me. I also considered G6 if you like DSLR styled bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Thanks - I enjoyed and was also satisfied the OMD - both times I owned one :)

I am not convinced that I used the EVF very much if I'm honest and apart from very bright days am not bothered about one when using the GX1.

The EP5 seems a good choice but is expensive compared to the E-M5 IMHO hence the confusion.

4. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    I was in the same situation like you, I was looking to upgrade from my GX1 to a camera with built-in image stabilizer, so I was looking at the OM-D E-M5 & E-M1 (E-M10 was not announced yet), GX7 and E-P5. I wanted something with a built-in viewfinder, so the E-P5 was out. My other criteria was WIFI and focus peaking, so the E-M5 was out, which left me with the E-M1 and GX7. After a bit more research, I found that although Olympus's menus are more complicated, the cameras can be customized more to your liking. So I decided that I want the E-M1.

While I was saving up for the E-M1, the E-M10 was announced, and since I don't use legacy glass, don't need weather sealing and don't shoot sports, I decided that the E-M10 was good enough for me :)

Now my E-M10 is on the way and I can't wait to use it :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I went for the GX7, but it is basically a wash with the E-P5. Were it not for the better video of the GX7 and my existing OIS lenses, I might have bought the E-P5. If you care even a bit for the evf, then the GX7 becomes a much more cost effective option. I'm using it less than a week and have not processed the files yet, so can't comment on how better it is compared to the GX1 in that respect, but it is a better tool in all of the others. Downsides? tilting the flash is harder due to its new position, as is one handed shooting due to the lens mount position (I had to fabricate a strap to overcome this limitation).

E-M5 not even considered as I do not care about weather sealing and would miss the option of the faster shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I've been thinking the same thing, though also started to consider the GM1 too. The size/weight advantage which factors in to at least half of my photography is appealing. I'm just trying to decide if I can live without the extra features..

I've also started to conclude an EM10 would be a better purchase than EP5 as it costs significantly less and seems to offer 90% of the EP5 features with an EVF as a bonus. I'm a bit afraid of Olympus bodies with my PL25mm though, don't want to adopt the rattlesnake issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Agreed, the EM10 does seem a good deal for what it features, but I also have potential banding issues with my beloved 20mm on an Oly body to consider too.

In all honesty, I don't actually think I need anything more than the GX1 as it suits me perfectly - but I guess the GX7 is the natural progression.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you're not feeling particularly limited, why upgrade at all? One thing's for certain - the longer you wait, the less you'll have to pay for any of the models you mentioned...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    The E-P5 also had the shutter shock issue DPReview discovered, not sure how valid it is now though..

It's also an option I was considering - wait until the GX8 :rolleyes:

It would be nice to have IBIS, wifi, a faster and/or silent shutter but also I would appreciate less weight. None of the bodies offer all of that compared to the GX1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I see you're also in the UK. Something to note is the E-P5 comes with a free EVF until the end of March.. means it's not twice as expensive as an EM10 if you include that, though still about £300 ..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    I may just pick up another GX1 body :) kept the GF1 for a long time and never felt the need to upgrade - until the GX1 came along, but I'm not overly blown away by the GX7.

Yes, thanks. I saw that offer but the E-P5 doesn't seem very popular IMHO due to the high price.

12. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I own a GX7.
    Second choice would be E-M5
    It's almost like Holden vs Ford, both perfectly good just comes down to preference of usage.

• Like Like x 1