1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Updating Olympus Firmware Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, May 29, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    After checking the camera updater for my new E-P5 I noticed the firmware is way out of date, but the only way I can see of updating it is over the web. I was at a Camera House show in Sydney recently and when I asked the Olympus people there about a few things and they indicated you could download a file to your PC, run a program and point to the file to update your camera.

I have looked at the Olympus site and cannot see any program apart from the Olympus Viewer v3 or the camera updater. Is there another utility and file you can use to update the camera off line? This would be my preferred method as my connection drops out at least once a night due to the poor copper lines and I do not want to brick the camera by only partially updating the firmware because of a dropout.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards MarkL

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Update it over the web. There is no danger to the camera. If the download fails the update does not happen. First it downloads, then it sends the update to the camera.
    The critical part is after the download completes when it updates the camera. This is when you can wreck the camera. During this stage do not touch the camera. Do not disconnect the cable. Do not have a power cut.
    There is no official release of updates other than by web update. If you trust an image downloaded from just somewhere, that may be the end of your working camera.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is a way you can do it through your SD card from here. LightSnow Dev: Olympus Online Firmware Update Tool
    Get Started here. Olympus firmware update tool
    However, I would recommend doing it as Growltiger advises too though, as it has always been successful for me. Just follow the instructions properly, select Storage & press OK on your camera after connecting it to your PC & run the latest updating program. Once it has started it will download & go through the transfer to camera & then it shows the transfer symbol on the camera (two different steps) & that is when you must not disconnect or turn off your camera (although I think it mightn't power down if you tried) until eventually it will show a large OK on the camera screen. That is when you can give a sigh of relief.

First remember to have a fresh fully charged battery in the camera. I use my laptop so if there is a power interruption it won't matter at the critical moment.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Well it went without a hitch sort of. Ended up with version 1.7 and it seems to be all working.

After the update was downloaded the screen popped up telling me not to disconnect etc and to press next.
    Before I finished reading the warning and before I pressed next, OK popped up on the camera. I clicked next anyway and was greeted with a message cannot find camera. [heart stops]

I disconnected and had to turn off the camera as I could not get the OK to go away. Firmware said 1.7 and every thing seems to work.

Odd that it completed before I pressed OK and the whole update from start to finish was only a few minutes at most and the update bit happened quicker that I could read and press next.

Couple of questions though;
    1) when it says no more than two lenses to be connected, does that mean a lens and extension tube or something or two items like a lens and a flash?
    2) I am in the process of deciding which pro lenses to get looking at both Olympus & Panasonic. If I purchases a Panasonic lens I guess I woul have to have a Panasonic body to be able to update it if required. What do people with mixed systems do for updating?

Regards MarkL

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

After the update begins the PC can't talk to the camera normally (and doesn't know the progress either) until you reboot the camera, it's pretty dumb about that, hence the cannot find camera and not forcing you to wait for completion.

I would guess no more than two means two other things, e.g. flash, lens, teleconverter.

As for Panasonic - you can auto-update Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies because Olympus bodies have the update facility, but Panasonic bodies do not have such a facility and thus on those you have to use the SD card method for both Panasonic body and ANY lens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for the reply.
    How do you update a Panasonic lens through Olympus bodies? Does Olympus also have Panasonic updates? I am guessing the updates for Olympus gear comes from am Olympus site so wondering how the bodies will see Panasonic lens updates.

Regars MarkL

7. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    This page explains it in detail. It shows how by running the Olympus updater, it can automatically update a Panasonic lens on the Olympus camera. It also updates some Sigma and Tamron lenses.
    Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That Next instruction is a bit of a trap because it returns to the opening page (on the PC) before it has completed the update, but I'm glad to hear it all went well. The rest has already been explained, but it is important you do read the full content of the instructions as you go as it does explain it (although still Olympus style). You'll be fine for any new updates now. :thumbup:

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I believe it is just for lenses, but it is to keep people who may own both the 1.4X and 2.0X teleconverters from stacking them both on along with a lens to try and do it all in one shot. For the vast majority of us, this isn't really any issue. :)

10. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for all the replies. Currently I am thinking of just staying with Olympus lenses to keep things simple to start with. Probably replace the kit zoom with the 12-40 2.8 pro. It looks to be a good all rounder.

Regards MarkL

11. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Good choice. The 12-40 on the E-P5 is a great combination.