1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Updating from E-PL3: go for E-PL5 or E-P5 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DHart, May 30, 2013.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm in the process of updating my E-PL3, which is just one of several m4/3 bodies for me. Where do I go from here?

Having a couple of other capable m4/3 bodies (GH3, E-M5) I'm not looking for the ultimate m4/3 body, but rather a good update to my E-PL3, which would serve well when I don't need an EVF. (I do have the EVF-2, when required). I've never had an E-Px model, just the E-PL3, which I selected because it had the tilting LCD screen.

I'm thinking I may use this replacement body more for street photography, with the 17/1.8, than anything else. Would the E-PL5 or the E-P5 serve better in this role?

The obvious choices are the E-PL5 and the E-P5. The tilting LCD screen is very important in this decision, but I believe both the E-PL5 and E-P5 have this. IBIS is important in this decision, as well. Do these two models have comparable IBIS? Do they have comparable sensors? Lastly, do they have comparable low-light/high-ISO performance?

On board flash is totally irrelevant to me. I avoid flash whenever I possibly can (which turns out to be ALWAYS!).

I would very much appreciate comments from those here who are relatively familiar with these two choices. Thank you, in advance!

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Similarities between E-P5 and E-PL5:
    • Same sensor
    • Tilting screen
    Advantages of E-P5:
    • 5-axis IBIS
    • 2 extra control dials
    • Much higher res LCD (over twice the number of pixels)
    • Focus peaking
    • WiFi + GPS tagging (with smartphone)
    • On-board flash
    • <s>ISO max. of 25600 (vs. 12800)</s>
    • ISO 100-ish v. ISO 200 (really just ISO200 @ -1EV?)
    • 1/8000 max. shutter speed
    • More art filters
    • Shares the same battery as your E-M5
    Advantages of the E-PL5
    • removable/interchangeable grip
    • almost 100g lighter (325g v. 420g)
    • slightly smaller
    • price

My guess is that you'd be much happier with the E-P5 if only for the ergonomics/controls. Add to that all the other improvements and the fact that it can share batteries with your existing OM-D and it's a clear winner as long as the price doesn't scare you off.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I believe that Olympus has mentioned the EP5 to have OM-D EM-5's IBIS, besides EP5 is the first m43 model that supports up to 1/8000s shutter speed, and with the ultimate retro look, however EP5 shares the same Sony sensor with the most recent models so IQ is no change.

EP5 is equipped with a built-in flash (E-PL5 isn't) which doesn't appeal to you, what else am I missing?

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    DeeJay.... thanks, buddy. Excellent comparison and just what I was looking for. (I could have done a lot more homework on my own, but figured someone here - like you - has already done that homework!)

The price difference between the bodies is less important to me than the capability, ergonomics, and handling.

Not ever having had an E-Px body before, makes the choice of E-P5 even more appealing. It was the tilting screen in particular that swayed me to the E-PL3 over the E-P3. Now that difference is gone!

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    E-PL5 has got ISO 25600 too.

and the ISO100 on the EP5 is just the -1EV version of ISO200

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct.
    No, the E-P5 has the 5-axis IBIS like your E-M5
    More or less, but the E-P5 has a greater range, starting at ISO100 (though base ISO is still 200).

Also, the E-P5 will have similar controls for easy swapping with your E-M5, while the E-PL5 can be packed into a significantly smaller bag than any of your other bodies (so can the E-P5 of course, but the E-PL5 much more so).

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I stand corrected and have updated my earlier post.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks, jvc and Ned.

All in all, it's looking quite favorable for the E-P5!

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The size difference isn't really that great:

E-PL5: 111mm x 64mm x 38mm (WxHxD)
    E-P5: 122mm x 69mm x 37mm

Camerasize.com comparison (alongside the E-PL3).

10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    And if size is a really significant factor for me... I'll just take the LX7! (Love that camera!)

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I was just about to pull the trigger on a silver E-PL5. The better IBIS, more manual controls, higher shutter speed, higher res-LCD, and battery commonality with my E-M5 is probably enough to sway me. Then again, for street photography and less demanding applications, the E-PL5 will produce comparable images, similar functionality, be lower price, and more compact.

Hmmmmmmmmm. :hmmm:

This decision may not be all THAT easy to make... considering that I also have higher-capability bodies (GH3 and E-M5) for times when they might be needed. This decision is not for an "only" body, but for a secondary body.

12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As an E-P3 user, I think you'd really like the PEN series.

Not sure if it matters, but just remembered one more potential benefit of the E-PL5: you can install a larger grip. The grip on the E-P5 is non-removable since that's where they've hidden the WiFi antenna apparently. I really like the larger grip on my E-P3, but I don't think that feature and the size would dissuade me from the E-P5.

13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    DeeJay.... initially, after reading your comparison, I was all-in for going with the E-P5. Please allow me to think this through, publicly...

As I thought about the differences that were significant to me, and remembering that this would be a secondary body to a GH3 and E-M5, I had a slight re-set.

Of all the differences between the bodies, the one of greatest significance in daily use, for me, would be the additional manual controls. Resulting images, for the most part, would be indistinguishable between the E-PL5 and E-P5.

And somewhat significant, though not a BIG deal for a secondary body, would be the higher shutter speed, 5-axis IBIS, and higher res screen.

The other differences are largely unimportant to me, especially considering that this will be a secondary body. The price difference is immaterial, over the long haul. And the size difference isn't enough to be of much concern.

So now, that leaves me a little bit "stuck in the middle". But at least I have a lot more information to use in the decision making process. The E-P5 may still get "the nod". Not certain, though. This has given me much more food for thought and I really appreciate the input you have all provided!

Were this to be my primary camera, between the E-PL5 and the E-P5, it would be easy to go with the E-P5. But as a secondary, limited-use body... the choice isn't quite as straight forward. In this regard... it's a tight race! :wink:

14. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Thanks for starting this conversation as I am in a similar dilemma on a camera for my wife (and as back up body for me but please don't tell her so).

I have an OMD and both our children have EPL3's (which my wife likes) so the EPL-5 seemed the obvious choice until the EP5 was announced. For her most of the differences are not key (only built in flash and price) but for me extra controls could favour EP5 but the cost is higher' Hmmmmmm

15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Deliberation was hastened by the "combo" special offered at B&H:

E-P5, 17/1.8 lens, and VF-4 viewfinder, all black, for $1449. I was going to buy the 17/1.8 anyway, so essentially I got the VF-4 for free with the combo. Couldn't resist that deal. Delivery s/b toward end of June. Looking forward to this combo!

Thanks, guys, for enabling my "investment"! :wink: :dance2::dance2::dance2:

16. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    If funds where no issue I would go with the E-P5, I come from Pentax and the only thing I'm missing on my E-PL5 is a good IBIS system which the E-P5 has.

Eitherway, the LX7 is a very nice addon :) I'm trying to convince my wife to get rid of my old (and faithful) Panasonic ZS3 and upgrade the family compact to the LX7 .

17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    barbosas... the LX7 is so nice. In spite of having a handful of m4/3 bodies and about 15 m4/3 lenses, I've been using an LX5 for a couple of years and would not want to be without an LX5/LX7... for those times when they are just the perfect imaging solution. :smile:

18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's ALWAYS fun to spend someone else's money. :thumbup:

The bundle is a good deal especially if you were going to pick up the O17 anyway. Since you are used to the E-M5, I think the E-P5 + VF-4 will be a natural, with similar levels of external controls. Don't overlook the utility of the eye sensor on the VF-4, which should feel natural to you as an E-M5 user.

Now, about that old VF-2 of yours.... :wink:

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think you did right, Don. If you can afford it, the E-P5 (especially the kit you ordered) is the way to go. But if money is at all an issue, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the E-PL5, which will give anyone great service.

20. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I'm halfway done convincing my wife of that :D