updating firmware using a Win10 system

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RAH, Oct 2, 2016.

1. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I have an E-M10 (Mark I) and it is at firmware version 1.1 (both body and kit lens. I would like to update the body to the latest (1.3). The problem is that I have Windows 10 on all the computers I have access to (I upgraded all old ones while Win10 upgrade was free).

The description of the 1.2 to 1.3 firmware update says "Compatible with Windows 10". So I cannot figure out a way to install any of the updates earlier than 1.3 (or for that matter 1.3 itself) when I only have a Win10 system. I tried it and it does not work - as soon as I pick "Storage" in the menu on the camera, the LCD screen just goes blank, and the computer shows nothing (it shows the device is connected, but that's all).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to update to 1.3 using a Win10 system?

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Have you tried using the Olympus Update software? I used this on Windows 10 and didn't have any issues. I can't remember when I last owned an E-M10 but I'm sure it was after Windows 10 came out.

3. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    I used Olympus Viewer 3 (rather than the standalone updater application) on a Win10 machine the other day to update my second E-M10 body. I can't remember seeing the blank screen you described so perhaps that would be worth trying.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    No problems here updating with Win 10 and the latest Olympus Viewer.
    Are you sure your battery is fully charged?

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, there is a way to update by copying the firmware to the SD card... If you're still stuck I will look for it.

6. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    My mistake. I have never loaded the Olympus software onto the computer (I thought the camera had the software in it to enable the update). So when I saw that one of the updates was for Windows 10 compatibility, I figured that was the problem. But I am at someone's house now who has XP and it does the same thing - just does nothing. I should install the software, as several have said - thanks! I'll try it when I get home and report my results. :)

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just to join the chorus, I successfully updated an ep-5 with my win 10 PC.

8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Yup, it worked with Windows 10 after I installed the software from the CD that came with the camera. Gee, you mean I should follow instructions?!? ;) Thanks folks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, don't worry, my wife says it's a guy thing. ;)
    As long as you remember this motto, "If all else fails, read the instructions!" :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I've have had no problems using Olympus' firmware updater on Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), except early on with their server not responding. For either my E-P3 or E-M5 along with having used it to upgrade some of the len's own firmware.

Link to the firmware updater if you don't already have it Firmware Update Instructions

Also the alternative is to manually put the firmware onto the SD card and update it that way (useful if you have intermittent connections with the Olympus server)

Olympus firmware update tool

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Thanks Karl. As I posted on Oct.2 (above), I resolved my problem by following directions (for a change) and installing the Olympus software that came with the camera.