1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Updating Firmware problem...Sorted

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 3, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Has anybody updated the firmware to 1.1 using Olynpus Digital Camera Updater.

I do everything in accordance with the steps and I have formatted a SD card and charged the battery.

Then I turn the camera on It's screen offers the following choices...

Srorage
    MPT
    Print
    Exit

The only one that works is the Storage, so I select that and press OK....the camera screen goes blank.

I select the Version to be updated and a diag appears on the monitor with dots going around like a clock would, but it'd not counting down.

The diag says...........

Updating the Firmware.
    Do not disconnect the camera from the computer untill the update is complete.

And that's where it ends....the dots keep going around and the camera screen stays blank.

The order of the steps above may be incorrect but the basics are the same.

Twice I have waited for up to 30 and then given up.

Any ideas anyone.

2. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I don't have an Olympus so I'm just talking off the top of my head. Is the camera bricked? If not can you do a reset from the menu and try again. Have you tried updating with and without the lens attached. I'm sure you will get more educated advice than this but these are the steps I would go through for any camera. A last thought is to download the software again (can you do this with Olympus now?)

Good luck.

3. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    The first time I tried to update to 1.1 the whole shebang failed, the camera updater said it couldn't connect to the camera.

I uninstalled the firmware updater (must have been a very old one, from around the time the E-P1 came out), downloaded and installed the latest version from the Olympus site, went through the procedure again and it worked fine.

Doesn't sound like totally the same problem as you're having, but how old is your version of the firmware updater?

Olympus - Firmware Update Instructions

4. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    My first attempt failed, the updater wasn't able to find any cameras to update. I went back to Olympus and downloaded the latest software, and the next attempt worked just fine.

So there's definitely some adjustments in the latest software for the E-M5, and if you have the updater installed due to previous cameras, you need to update the updater first.

5. dfatty

dfatty Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2012
    These are the steps I took and it took long as well. It ran for about 15 minutes and I was getting nervous, but then a new screen finally appeared on the LCD that said loading update or something like that. After that screen appeared, it took only a minute or so for the update to load and a screen that says OK to appear. I have no idea why it takes so long, and no idea why yours went for 30 mins without updating. It's really a lousy way to update, they should use the system where you load it into the SD card. Good luck.

Oh yeah, couldn't find camera to update happened to me when my camera was "off." Once I turned it on it went fine, although it takes long.

6. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

This system has been used for ages and while it is slow it has always worked for me.

Plug the camera in and when 'Storage' is highlighted press 'OK', that is the step people miss out. Go to Viewer and the update page and it should find the camera. I think the initial blank screen is because tha camera is trying to connect to the server, and I guess with more new cameras being bought the server may be busy at peak times? Just a guess. It is pathetic but a small price to pay.

Steve