Updating Epl1 firmware

Jasbo

Mu-43 Rookie
I bought a used Epl1 and did not get the box and contents (forgot to ask). :mad:

I want to upgrade the firmware, but have no cord to connect camera to computer. Is there another method (e.g., via SD card), or must I get an Olympus cord?

Cheers~Jack

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
I think you need the cord. There are two ways to update:
1. Via the Olympus master software.
2. Via the olympus updater software.
Both require you to be plugged into your PC.

I might be wrong, but I think that's right.

All the best,

Colin

Otto

Mu-43 Regular
I just updated the firmware for mine yesterday, and the cable is needed. Like Bill said, it is a special USB cable.

You might contact the seller to see if you can get the cable.

Good shooting,
Otto...

edb

Mu-43 Regular
This might be a dumb question but are you sure it doesn't already have the updated firmware?

The main reason I ask is because it seems that the original owner would have done the update.

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
I may be mistaken but the olympus website indicates that the latest firmware is version 1.1 for the e-pl1

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
i believe you need the cord. even new out of the box you might have to do an update. you also need the cord to register the camera and its warranty.

Jasbo

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks

Thanks to all for the assistance. Looks like I need a cord at the very least. As usual, Olympus does it their way.

Cheers~Jack

Update: Ordered the above mentioned cord from the auction site for $1.45, plus $4 shipping. Grrr. Loaded Update from Oly website. Hope that's all I need to finish this process. Camera works fine now, so I'm wondering if this is worth the trouble. But then, another firmware update may be released, so what the heck.

edb

Mu-43 Regular
If you don't use a card reader then you'll need the cord to download your pictures.

It is a shame though that Olympus felt they had to build cameras with a proprietary cord.

Olympus must have some ex Sony people working for them.

Then on top of everything else if your cord goes bad or if you simply think you need a spare, Olympus charges about $30.00 for the new cord. Must have solid gold wires.

Then again, if I owned an electronics company I'd probably do the same thing.

zuiko

Mu-43 Rookie
I think the video cable uses the same port so at least there is SOME justification for using a special cord here (otherwise they would have to have a separate video port on the camera in addition to the USB).

G'kar

Mu-43 Regular
Yep, 1.1
I just did mine a couple of days ago and it went from 1.0 to 1.1, and the 14-42 kit lens didn't have an update available.
If your kit lens is the newer version (which is distinguished by the letter "L" on the marking "14-42mm L ED" on the lens barrel) it already has the updated firmware, although on your LCD menu it still shows 1.0. This was confirmed to me by Olympus Singapore.

Cheers

Richard

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom