Updating custom settings EM1 mkii

TravelingChick

Mu-43 Regular
I have the settings I use for BIF/action loaded to C3. I would like to add a couple of different settings to this. I'm confused after reading the manual (no surprise there). I've also looked in Darrell Young's book and still confused.

My specific question: if I have my camera set to C3 on the dial, and then change the settings I want to change, how do I make them 'stick'? If I move the dial off of C3 they go away, but if I'm reading the manual correctly (big if) I can't write to C3 while I'm in C3. ?? Is that true?

Do I have to save my new/improved settings somewhere first? Or do I need to do some switcheroo with another C?

Any specific instructions much appreciated!

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I have the settings I use for BIF/action loaded to C3. I would like to add a couple of different settings to this. I'm confused after reading the manual (no surprise there). I've also looked in Darrell Young's book and still confused.

My specific question: if I have my camera set to C3 on the dial, and then change the settings I want to change, how do I make them 'stick'? If I move the dial off of C3 they go away, but if I'm reading the manual correctly (big if) I can't write to C3 while I'm in C3. ?? Is that true?

Do I have to save my new/improved settings somewhere first? Or do I need to do some switcheroo with another C?

Any specific instructions much appreciated!
It's much more simple than any of that. Keep the mode dial where it is and...
A. go to the first page of the Setup menu (Camera 1).
B. Select Reset/Custom Modes.
C. Select Assign to Custom Mode.
D. Select a Custom Mode, in your case C3.
E. Press the right arrow - the display bar should say Set.
F. Press OK

As far as your reading of the manual, are you referring to the first bullet point under item 5 on p87? I believe "current" refers to the interim (new) settings and "registered" means the settings as they were last saved. I have no doubt that some clarity was lost in translation.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I can't write to C3 while I'm in C3. ?? Is that true?
for complete clarity .... No it's not true. see caveat below :)

Exactly what Hendrik said, the fastest way is just to leave the dial on C3 make the changes and save(set) to C3.

The only caveat that i can think of is you can't change the base mode from say A to S.
In that case you need to do:
Go to new mode ASM that you wish to use
Recall Cx settings whilst in that mode
Make any adjustments that are relevant
Save settings back to desired Cx set
Go to Cx on the dial and check everything stuck

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
AussiePhil is absolutely correct about the problem of changing exposure modes when attempting to update Myset or Cx settings.

This works the same way with any Myset mapped to Mode Dial positions on the E-M5.2 and the E-M1. It also works on the Pen-F. I expect the same is true of the E-M1X - the manual reads quite differently but there seems no suggestion that it doesn't share this behavior.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I expect the same is true of the E-M1X - the manual reads quite differently but there seems no suggestion that it doesn't share this behavior.
I can confirm the EM1X works the same way.
I use C3 and C4 as temporary locations for any one days shooting setups. These can get tweaked during the day as things change.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I have used C1 as my default settings, so I can always come back to them. But I don't select C1. Instead I use it in the same way I use Mysets on the E-M5 Mkii, so I save into C1, and recall from C1 into the current PASM mode. I do use C3 as a specific set up and switch to it, and have C2 still to allocate.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom