updating ad banners

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mnr3, Oct 2, 2013.

1. mnr3

mnr3 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    just a simple request that B&H remove products from their ad banners that are no longer available. Twice I've clicked through on a good price only to find the item not available. I understand it might be a pain to update code, but this really looks like bait and switch, from a company that otherwise has a great rep. (the items were the panasonic gx1 and the sigma prime pair lenses)

2. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    We appreciate your suggestion although I do not believe the term "bait and switch" can be fairly applied in this situation in any way at all. Depending on circumstances there are a number of reasons a product not currently available might remain visible. One is that customers who own the product, or are contemplating buying a used or demo version, still want access to information about features, specifications, accessories, etc. The Panasonic GX-1 is a prime example of this. Used Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 Mirrorless Micro Four DMC-GX1KS

Depending on circumstances if a product has been discontinued we often are able to point to used versions available from us or to the newer replacement item the manufacturer has more recently produced.

Another is that a product may be out of stock temporarily. When our buyer or brand manager believes it will be in stock again soon, the item is often left visible so customers who wish to do so can order now, knowing that credit cards will not be charged until the item actually ships.
  3. mnr3

mnr3 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    fair enough, but when the ad shows an item at a given price and the click through yields a "no longer available" what do you want to call it? That's not for someone who "already owns a product." I get that you guys have a huge inventory and advertising campaign/sites to manage. But listing an item at 75% off retail that is no longer available (as opposed to temporarily out of stock or something) is well... call it whatever you want and just realize I was trying to do you a favor by pointing out that some consumers would be put off by that. Intentional or not, it's misleading. (and btw there's no link on the page for a used unit). It's not having it still on your site I object to--it's advertising it at an unbelievable price in an ad banner that constantly pops up while surfing this site.
    and to reiterate, I love B&H; just pointing this out so you can keep your stellar rep.