Updates & generic batteries

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by joglos, May 2, 2012.

1. joglos

joglos New to Mu-43

Feb 14, 2012
    My friend has a G1 & GH2, at the weekend we attempted to update her 100-300 & 45-200 lens but it came up that it was not needed? even though they had not been done. Now i know the G1 firmware has not been updated (the lenses were on this) would this be the reason? As it says that generic batterys wont work after update she is very wary about doing this as all bar one of her batterys are generic and replacing them with pany ones is not an option re cost. So the question is will generic work after update on either or both cameras.
  2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Be interesting to read an answer. I asked this in an earlier thread but never got a definitive "yes" or "no." As a result, I've not updated my G2 because right now my third-party generic battery works and I don't want to risk killing it by installing the G2 update.

Anyone know for certain?

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There's no way to be certain. It depends on how well they reverse engineered those 3rd party batteries. One generic battery cannot be effected, yet another "brand" could be.
  4. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    It may be not related, but I heard on certain Canon clones, that the cheapest ones don't have the chip, which is needed to report accurate battery level. They are most of time between 9 and 15 $. I got a mid priced clone (23 $) and I have updated my G3 and all my lenses, 45-200mm included, and no issues whatsoever.
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    My GH2 is unhacked, and I can use 3rd party batteries with it. My GH1 required the hack to work with 3rd party batteries.
  6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    My G2 has the latest firmware and my Energizer battery works. I was surprised. It wouldn't work on an unhacked GH1 though.
  7. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    My friend tried an aftermarket GF1 pack in his new G2 and it wouldnt work. Works fine in the GF1.
    Updating the lens software should not affect anything else, I have done my 45-200 while attached to my G2 that has the original 1.0 software in it.