1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

(UPDATED W/IMAGE SAMPLES!) HOT! NEW CV 25MM f0.95 NOKTON!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by vincechu, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Peter, performance looks good from your samples here and on Flickr. Are you happy with the lens?

2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Sorry, missed this last post.

In answer to your question.

Yes!

It is pretty neat being able to look at the LCD pre-dawn and seeing something and being able to focus the lens and get a quality shot first time around.

It isn't a lens for all people, not really suited to action work but just right for a lot of phtography I do.

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caspian

Caspian New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2011
    If the glass is quality the price is reasonable for a lens like this. A Zeiss 50mm f1.4 sells for $750 at Amazon.

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Rats. The more I see of this lens the more I like it. I may have to rearrange my own lens purchasing plan. It will be interesting to see how it compares in quality and price to the projected Panny 25/1.4.

5. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    Once the MFT 25/1.4 comes out the 25/0.95 becomes significantly less appealing. The LensTip review shows that it doesn't sharpen up until f/2, whereas the Panny 25/1.4 will be pin-sharp from f/1.4 (based on (non-micro-) four-thirds resolution data) and off-the-charts sharp at f/2.

Bokeh-wise it might be a bit closer. My Voigtlander 50/1.1 has horrible bokeh wide-open, but cleans up nicely one or two stops down, and I reason that the 25/0.95 is no different.

Price-wise it may be slightly in favour of the Voigtlander, which I can find for AU$900 right now vs the Panny 25/1.4's AU$1100. If Panasonic properly recognises the mft target market then my guess would be around $900-1000.

Usability-wise, well this is a non-contest. The Panny will have AF.

I think purchasing a Voigtlander 25/0.95 now is like pulling the trigger in a 6th round of Russian roulette :crying:

6. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Probably, but only if Panasonic produce the lens with a direct mechanical focus ring. I hate fly-by-wire focus for those situations when AF doesn't hold up.

It is a bit hard to reconcile those 2 charts as although they are both measuring the same thing, the measurements are expressed in different units. Does anyone know how to convert from one unit of measurement to another?

The Panny-Leica does look very strong in the centre at f/1.4 but note what Lenstip said of the Voigtlander.

One thing that can be said of both lenes is that edge performance lags behind centre permance quite a lot up to f/4 on the Voigtlander and f/5.6 on the Panasonic. The really odd thing about the Panasonic, while the edge performance is actually pretty good, it doesn't get better on stopping down. I wouldn't say that that is really an issue as it starts off pretty good.

One area where the Voigtlander is better than the old Panny-Leica is in CAs. The CAs are quite strong for in the Panny-Leica yet are insignificant in the Voigtlander.

Both lenses have their strengths and weaknesses but in the end, either the old Panny-Leica or the forthcoming Panasonic 25 f/1.4 will be bought by people who want an AF lens and the Voigtlander by those who don't want an AF lens.

In the end, I don't think there are many people who would be interested in the Panasonic AF lens that would be interested in the Voigtlander and vice versa.

7. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    Very well said. Although I'm possibly in both camps as I can't imagine replacing either my AF 20/1.7 nor my MF 50/1.1 :biggrin:

8. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Well I have both the 25mm f/0.95 and the AF 20 f/1.7 and both shall remain in my kit bag. I use them in the ratio of around 10:1 but there are times when AF is useful.

9. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    My ratio is the other way around :)  My view is that there are times with MF is useful.

43rumors has an interesting video shot with both the 25/0.95 and 50/1.1 on a GH2 - video of course being a prime environment for MF. What I noticed with both lenses however was that the video was extremely shaky and made me feel a bit sick :(  If, as rumoured, Olympus really does announce a pro m43 body with sensor-based IS, then the 25/0.95 will almost immediately go on to my shopping list.

10. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Photozone says LW/PH is line width divided by picture height. So assuming the lines are spaced at twice their width I'd guess that the conversion would be lw/ph = lpmm x 13 x 2? Making 80 lpmm equate to 2080 lw/ph. Could be wrong...

11. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    well this lens is certainly turning out to be quite the collector's item!

this one just sold on eBay for US$1400!!! they're AU$900 here new...

hoping my X100 arrives before the deluge of backorders so i can take advantage of low-supply demand if i don't like it! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
  13. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    They are priced much higher in Europe and the UK which explains that. I believe Mainline isn't allowed to do sales for Voigtlander outside of Australia and NZ.

The AUD895 pricing from Australia includes GST.

Bear in mind that February is less than 2 weeks away and I was given a mid November date for the first batch but had mine on 2 November. If you live in Australia or NZ, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you order the lens and you won't have to wait too long. Mainline seem to have been receiving at least one batch of lenses every month and in late November/early December committed to pre-Christmas delivery for orders.

I found Scott from Mainline very helpful.

14. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    ^What he said. very helpful indeed

15. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Keep an eye on Amazon.fr - I got mine there, beginning of this month. I was sceptical until it arrived!

16. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    seems like the ebay deal fell through - dodgy bidder from Russia.

watching the new auction which he has started at US$1480!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.