(UPDATED W/IMAGE SAMPLES!) HOT! NEW CV 25MM f0.95 NOKTON!

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
This Cosina stuff means, perhaps, that someone is aware of higher specs micro 4/3 coming, don't you think?

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Thanks Barrie, as I'm relatively new to photography (since last Nov), I have been buying a few photography books and learning about hyperfocal focusing (HFF) to maximise DOF (for landscapes), and I'm honestly surprised that a lot of the new digital systems lenses don't have DOF scales on their lenses anymore, they'd be such a great help for HFF! HFF seems a much better alternative to setting small apertures and hoping for the best.
The fact that I can now use old manual lenses on :43: in the way that I learned some 40 years ago is what finally sold me on the system, and you'll see me beating the drum for this in various posts I've made on here, and indeed in my recent interview. I love using my collection of Voigtlander range finder lenses on both my G1 and GF1.
I have a limited experience of working with people relatively new to photography and I find their knowledge of depth of field and how aperture affects it is sadly lacking, so to see you embracing this is very heart warming indeed.

Barrie

Briar

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Barrie, I think to get that particular bee out of your bonnet you are going to have to be proactive and either get some bug spray or share your wisdom with us newbies. You are a talented and experienced photographer with much to teach the new generation of photographers here at mu-43 and we would welcome your positive input.

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
But with a 0.95 aperture you could get some dreamy looking photos the 20mm couldn't.
Yes, but it's just not as practical, and quite expensive. :/

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Hi Barrie, I think to get that particular bee out of your bonnet you are going to have to be proactive and either get some bug spray or share your wisdom with us newbies. You are a talented and experienced photographer with much to teach the new generation of photographers here at mu-43 and we would welcome your positive input.
Hi Briar, and thank you for your comments. My recent interview is still available in the open discussion forum (if I was savvy enough to link it here then I would do :smile:), non the less I'm sure people are capable of finding it and I'm more than willing to answer any questions that may be posed in that thread. As with all things a face to face demonstration is often worth a thousand words, but please feel free to give it a go and I will attempt to answer as best I can.
Failing that again a private message will always draw a response from me.

Barrie

Ninja

Mu-43 Regular
last i heard it was going to be faster than 1.4... i'm comfortable letting the CV 25/0.95 go by but if panasonic releases a smallish AF 25/1.2.... aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrghhhh :mad::biggrin:
Yea, really. The price of the 25/0.95 is out of line for the MFT market and what it is. An f1.2 would almost certainly be more compact as well and just might have a more useful, but still very limited depth of field wide open.

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
Yea, really. The price of the 25/0.95 is out of line for the MFT market and what it is. An f1.2 would almost certainly be more compact as well and just might have a more useful, but still very limited depth of field wide open.
It is a blurred line I think. Anything faster than f/1.2 was considered a "holy grail" in terms of lens speed, for cameras with 4/3-sized sensors and up. Before this announcement there were only 3 lenses in that category (see Lens speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) the most famous of which being the US$10,000+ Noctilux f/0.95, so it is easy to see why prices are more at the "luxury" end of the scale.

Noktor tried to introduce their own cheap 50mm f/0.95 but failed miserably as it was optically just not up to par, especially wide open. This just proved how hard it was to make lenses this fast.

It all depends on the test results. If the CV 25/0.95 is sharp wide open, then it will be without peer even if Panasonic does introduce a f/1.2. However, if like the 50/1.1, it shows weaknesses wide open, then I think we will see a lot more people paying attention to the smaller, lighter AF options from Panasonic/Olympus.

vincechu

Mu-43 Regular
It is a blurred line I think. Anything faster than f/1.2 was considered a "holy grail" in terms of lens speed, for cameras with 4/3-sized sensors and up. Before this announcement there were only 3 lenses in that category (see Lens speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) the most famous of which being the US$10,000+ Noctilux f/0.95, so it is easy to see why prices are more at the "luxury" end of the scale.

Noktor tried to introduce their own cheap 50mm f/0.95 but failed miserably as it was optically just not up to par, especially wide open. This just proved how hard it was to make lenses this fast.

It all depends on the test results. If the CV 25/0.95 is sharp wide open, then it will be without peer even if Panasonic does introduce a f/1.2. However, if like the 50/1.1, it shows weaknesses wide open, then I think we will see a lot more people paying attention to the smaller, lighter AF options from Panasonic/Olympus.
Pretty much said everything I wanted to :p I have to say the Noktor, just seemed like one of those various CCTV lenses machined with a m4/3rds mount, 43rumors reports that the image quality is better than those CCTV lenses (source: 43 Rumors | Home), fingers crossed they're right. ;-)

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
The DOF with this lens will be small, but not too small to be unworkable. It will be like a 50/1.8 on 35mm.

I'm definitely interested for 900 Euros. I want photos!
I don't follow you re the "50 1/8 equivalent. I realize 25mm on m43 is really a 50mm on a full frame camera, but I wasn't aware that the aperture also was cut in half, unless I'm misunderstanding you

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
I don't follow you re the "50 1/8 equivalent. I realize 25mm on m43 is really a 50mm on a full frame camera, but I wasn't aware that the aperture also was cut in half, unless I'm misunderstanding you
For the 25/0.95, the focal length is 25mm and the maximum aperture is f/0.95, i.e. focal length divided by 0.95. Hence the aperture is 25/0.95 = 26.3mm; the widest path that light will take through the lens.

For a 50/1.8, it's 50/1.8 = 27.8mm, i.e. pretty much the same.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I have placed my order for this lens and I should be getting one of the first batch of 20 coming into Australia. The first batch is due for delivery in late October.

:biggrin:

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
I have placed my order for this lens and I should be getting one of the first batch of 20 coming into Australia. The first batch is due for delivery in late October.

:biggrin:
Pretty bold move! :) I learnt my lesson with the GF1 and NX10 - I had one of the first into Australia for each pancake kit, and severely regretted it. However CV has a good reputation and they've proven their ability to make great glass, so it's probably a risk worth taking.

Can I ask who you placed the order with? (I got my 50/1.1 from a Hong Kong eBay shop)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Mainline Photographics are the sole Australian importer.

Link to listing at Mainline Photographics

I rang them up at 9:30 this morning and they had already pre-sold 8 of the first shipment of 20 lenses.

Their Voigtlander lens prices are good and Scott is very helpful.

I thought it was a better deal than the funny 50mm f/0.95 from the States, a similar price and more useful focal length. I don't know of any dud Voigtlander lenses so I think it is a fairly safe bet.

I already have 40mm f/1.9 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses as well as a 50mm macro which are fine for my needs and don't want another in that range.

hmpws

Mu-43 Regular
For the 25/0.95, the focal length is 25mm and the maximum aperture is f/0.95, i.e. focal length divided by 0.95. Hence the aperture is 25/0.95 = 26.3mm; the widest path that light will take through the lens.

But if I am not mistaken, it stills collect light at f/0.95 per say, just that the dof is doubled.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The absolute size of the objective lens is relevent for astronomy use, the larger the objective the more stars can be observed. As it pertains to general purpose photography the maximum F-Stop is what is important. F0.95 is the speed of the lens and is independent of focal length. Exposure Value, "EV", is not dependent on focal length.

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
But if I am not mistaken, it stills collect light at f/0.95 per say, just that the dof is doubled.
...the maximum F-Stop is what is important. F0.95 is the speed of the lens and is independent of focal length.
Yes sorry I should have clarified - the F-stop number (i.e. 0.95) is the only number relevant to light-gathering ability. I was pointing out the actual aperture size as it relates to background blur (bokeh).

Mainline Photographics are the sole Australian importer.

Link to listing at Mainline Photographics

I rang them up at 9:30 this morning and they had already pre-sold 8 of the first shipment of 20 lenses.
My wife is going to kill me.
Edit: no, I will resist.

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran

Correct.

For most practical purposes, the depth-of-field (the portion of a scene that appears acceptably sharp in the image, often abbreviated by DOF) scales inversely with the size of the aperture.

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
Yes sorry I should have clarified - the F-stop number (i.e. 0.95) is the only number relevant to light-gathering ability. I was pointing out the actual aperture size as it relates to background blur (bokeh).

My wife is going to kill me.
Edit: no, I will resist.
Yes I would think that the aperture (F Stop) doesnt matter what the format is. For example, and I am an old film guy, when I use my light meter and it tells me f8 1/60 for correct exposure, that it. Regardless if using an m43 lens or full frame dslr

trungdtran

New to Mu-43
Probably I will by this 0.95 lens also. I love fast lenses.

Trung Tran
EP1 + Panny 20 1.7