1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

(UPDATED W/IMAGE SAMPLES!) HOT! NEW CV 25MM f0.95 NOKTON!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by vincechu, Aug 25, 2010.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Not saying this has anything to do with it but thought it might be appropriate to remind people of Amins original letter. Maybe they do listen after all.

Open Letter to Mr. Kobayashi, President of Cosina
    Dear Mr. Kobayashi,

As a Micro Four Thirds enthusiast with great respect for Cosina's manual focus lens offerings in other mounts, I am writing to express a desire to see Cosina Voigtlander lenses designed for the Micro Four Thirds standard.

We Micro Four Thirds users could really use a wide angle lens with good manual focus feel and a distance scale appropriate for zone focusing. A Micro Four Thirds design equivalent of any of your several excellent, current wide angle offerings in the Leica M mount - for example a Micro Four Thirds 14mm f/2 Ultron or 17.5mm f/1.4 Nokton - would doubtless be well received.*

There also appears to be a solid market for more exotic offerings, such as a superfast normal lens. Although the adapted lens market has some lenses in this category, the soaring prices of these lenses on the used market attests to a still unmet demand for a current offering, priced in the range of your Nokton 50mm f/1.1 lens.

Micro Four Thirds is a standard which can take your fine manual focus lenses to a wider market going forward, both in the still photography as well as the video arena.

I'm sure that you have already considered this option and hope that others in our Micro Four Thirds community will join me in urging you to make it happen!

Sincerely,
    Amin S

My own small contribution.

There's a link on their website at www.voigtlander.com/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf...
    that says How can we help you? - well maybe we should start letting them know!

I received a reply from my email to Voigtlander.(Which was basically Amins open letter)

Thank you for your email and your suggestions in making lenses with
    MicroFourThird mount.

There are no plans as of yet and we can not forsee the future, what will
    happen next.
    All new items will be presented on our website though, so please follow up
    with it.

We hope we have been able to help you.

Kind regards

i. A. Petra Meredith

Benno-Strauß-Str. 39, D- 90763 Fürth
    Tel: 0049- 911/ 65 85 182
    Fax: 0049- 911/ 65 85 196
    www.voigtlaender.de

• Like Like x 7
  2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Now where to get the money…

Next a f0.70 for some Barry Lyndon scenes… ;D

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Nice, I want one.

4. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Peter Jamus
    I would definitely be interested in this lens if I didn't already own the stellar 20mm 1.7.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    CV is finally starting to take notice and tackling the market. I've got the latest 12mm f5.6, but when I look at the aperture ring from the rear, it doesn't fully open, it actually opens up about half way, which is normal, but there appears to be scope for it to open up much more and make this lens a heck of a lot faster.

However, CV may have discovered that aberrations etc were woeful at a larger aperture and opted to keep things at f5.6. Wouldn't it be great if the 12mm could really be something like f2.8, but accepting some edge degradation.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    But with a 0.95 aperture you could get some dreamy looking photos the 20mm couldn't.

7. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    More info?

There's more info at:-
    dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100826_388358.html

This is the Google translation - which actually doesn't help much!!

Interchangeable lenses and the first dedicated Koscina Maikurofosazukamera. The standard "Micro" Maikurofosazurenzu also be available from the manufacturer's first non-Olympus and Panasonic were formulated. Olympus 26, to the effect that agreed standards Koscina Micro has announced the Web site.

According to the Koscina The Micro mount adapter for pre-release (compatible with Nikon F mount, and Pentax K-mount compatible) production and release of the license at this time. "Aims to make products more reliable, authoritative described as a blessing to "he said. Fokutorenda? Different plans and products under the brand Carl Zeiss optics on the pending deployment. For Micro and about yesterday, 26 "SL" "ZF" such as names and misunderstandings as the format.

35mm equivalent focal length 50mm lens size will be considerably large 径単. F0.95 open F value, the brightest lenses in Koscina released so far. Currently as F0.95 lens, the Leica "Nokutirukkusu M f0.95/50mm ASPH." Are known. In the most open ever bright for Micro Lens F value is addition, Panasonic "LUMIX G 20mm F1.7 ASPH." Has become.

Optical system is designed specifically for the new Micro Four. Koscina said in a digital camera with interchangeable lenses Micro even a relatively small sensor size, F0.95 has been blurred to be able to increase the brightness of the background.

The focus MF. Employing a precision metal helicoid withstand severe focus at full aperture. MF sense that it also features a unique operation of the lens focus ring with grease. The total metal barrel.

Minimum focusing distance is 0.17m (1:3.9 maximum magnification photography), so that you can also use a macro lens and large aperture. Lens Construction 08 group was 11 shots. Imaging performance and the ultimate in using high refractive index glass. The iris 10. The size is 58.4 × 70mm (length × diameter). Weight 410g. The included lens hood

• Like Like x 1
  8. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Bokeh optimised?

It seems that this lens is designed for optimal bokeh:
    • 10 blade diaphragm: a round pupil at all apretures
    • The front lens element is significantly larger than the entrance pupil. This can indicate a design with nice uniform pupil shape over the entire image field. No funky clipped circles in the corners (like the Noktor).
    Interestingly, the Japanese press release states that the only f/0.95 camera lens available is the Leica. They ignore the Noktor (which is a terrible lens imho, and not even a true f/0.95, but more like 1.1-1.4).

The DOF with this lens will be small, but not too small to be unworkable. It will be like a 50/1.8 on 35mm. If the lens would exhibit a touch of spherical aberration (the real soft-focus) at 0.95 that disappears at 1.2, this would open up some creative options.

I'm definitely interested for 900 Euros. I want photos!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Another announcement

Link(German)

11. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Good news. This lens is small compared to the Canon 50/0.95, as is the Nokton 50/1.1.

Decisions....and reminds me to try out the Canon 50/0.95 on the EP2 tomorrow.

12. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I second that, fine at night, and I did not like my 50mm f/1.1's daytime look, it's a vampire of a lens :) . It's big weakness at night is high chromatic aberration around lights in the picture, like fluorescent lights.

I agree too on the closeness to the PanLeica 25mm, even if one uses an adapter. But if Voigtlander really designs it for m4/3, and not just has a m4/3 mount, there should be good border performance. Otherwise, forget it.

On claims by m4/3 of being able to accept almost any lens made, I give that distinction now to Nex. Below 35mm, many legacy lenses suffer border performance mounted on m4/3.

Waiting for Panasonic's response too :smile:

13. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    omg yes it works!! It's better than M mode because you can adjust the exposure compensation whilst leaving it on auto ISO. i love my pen even more now :) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    I hope this lens will have electrical contacts that will be able to bring up the magnified view when the focus ring is turned... it's a winner then! (given that IQ is at par with other great VC lenses)

15. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    It most probably doesn't...

16. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    I have the EVF and use it with the E-PL1 as well. This lens really is tempting and likely will get for when I need low light. The 20/1.7 works for me in most cases, but if I do not want to use a flash and there is less light, this will be wonderful. I was thinking of getting the Voightlander 75/1.8 for M-Mount and use with adapter but apparently its designed wide open as a portrarit lens and becomes sharper at say 5.6. Wait to see when Cameraquest announces it on their page. They and PhotoVillage are the 2 US sellers of Voightlander lenses as I write this.

17. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    Insofar as Cosina is apparently joining the 43 group, I aould hope they have the electrical contacts in the mount.

18. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Wow, it seems everyone's very enthusiastic about the release which is great :) 

Fingers crossed we'll have some samples up online to view soon, if anyone finds any post the link here, and I'll update my first post to share the samples with everyone :) 

Thanks Barrie, as I'm relatively new to photography (since last Nov), I have been buying a few photography books and learning about hyperfocal focusing (HFF) to maximise DOF (for landscapes), and I'm honestly surprised that a lot of the new digital systems lenses don't have DOF scales on their lenses anymore, they'd be such a great help for HFF! HFF seems a much better alternative to setting small apertures and hoping for the best.

soundimageplus: you make a very good point, perhaps we should start petitions or polls here on mu-43.com and send an email together with a link to the poll, laying out what we'd like to see for micro four thirds?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Official Cosina page

Link (Japanese)

20. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Hope and more hope

I'll hope I can somehow afford one of these.

But I'll really hope for a digital Bessa body! :biggrin:

Then I can try to solve the puzzle about where to get the extra money.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.