1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shootout UPDATED: The Great 40ish Landscape Test (10 Lenses in 40MP HR Mode)

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by kwalsh, Nov 6, 2015.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The problem with a landscape with "lighting challenge" would be that lighting won't be similar between all the lenses.
    In fact it's very hard to make a proper test in "real conditions" for landscapes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    That's strange... is it only with the 40 Mpix raw files?
    I own panasonic & olympus bodies, with the Panasonic the raw files are not compressed (or poorly compressed) but with my E-M10 the ORF files are (very slightly) smaller than the DNG.

3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes just the high res ORF files are uncompressed. They are 100MB each. As a DNG they vary from around 35 to 50MB depending on the scene. Indeed the standard ORF files are well compressed straight off the camera.

Panasonic files are compressed but it is a very primitive compression scheme. It's actually very slightly lossy as well, but not in any visually meaningful way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've been wanting to do some similar tests with my lenses... I finally had some time this afternoon but it was cold and windy and was going to be getting dark too soon, so I decided to do some indoor tests at close focus distances...

My tests were not as scientific as yours as I quickly found the magnification varies too much between lenses (and even between FLs) to get the framing exactly the same, etc.
    I also had no way (other than the E-M1's built-in level) to ensure that the lens/sensor was perfectly parallel to the subject, and I also had tremendous trouble getting the subject (paper currency) to stay perfectly flat, so I concentrated my tests on Franklin's right (our left) eye.

The coins are just there as paperweights, and will be out of focus in many of the shots (depending on FL, distance, and f-stop).

i.e., one should not make any strong judgements of corner sharpness, etc. with these images as the subject was not a flat plane, and I can't be sure the sensor was parallel. However, the sharpness of the area around the eye should definitely be compared across all images.

Lenses & FLs tested today:
    12-40mm f2.8 Pro m.ZD at 40mm
    12-60mm f2.8-4.0 ZD at 40mm, 45mm, 60mm
    40-150mm f2.8 Pro m.ZD at 40mm, 135mm, 150mm
    17mm f1.8 m.ZD
    35mm f3.5 ZD Macro (tested nowhere near MFD nor max magnification)
    45mm f1.8 m.ZD

Remarks (all pertain to close focal distances only, as that was all I tested today):
    12-40mm Pro m.ZD -
    much sharper @40mm/f4 than 12-60mm ZD @40mm/f8
    possibly sharper than 40-150pro @40mm (but 12-40mm has much more magnification, so unfair comparison)
    definitely sharper than 40-150pro @150mm (both images coincidentally have same magnification)
    seems very close in sharpness at 40mm to 45mm m.ZD; hard to be sure as magnifications were different
    sharper than 35mm macro at same magnification! (center & corner afaict)

RAW files are available at
    Macro - Franklin 100 dollar bill hundred
    I'll leave them there for a few months.

Sample (completely unsharpened):
    12-40 at 40mm f4.0.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12-40mm Pro @40mm f4.0. Note the shadow at the top indicating the paper was not flat.

Barry

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks @barry13@barry13 for adding to the discussion! Testing close up is really hard for all the reasons you mentioned, though "infinity" testing outdoors has its own issues too of course. It's interesting to see how significant the differences in performance are in the macro range.

• Like Like x 1
  6. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Well, I have been accused of having weird taste, but I really like this image! :2thumbs:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.