Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Great discussion - I'm really trying to figure out the wide side. Right now the widest I have is the 12 on my 12-40mm Pro. But I essentially have two kits -- the "heavy" one with the 12-40mm and 40-150mm f/2.8 pros, and the "light" one with the consumer 17, 40, and 40-150mm el cheapola. I'm assuming since the 8-25mm is f4 that it's lighter (and obviously wider) then the 12-40mm Pro. So that's tempting for my light kit. Frankly, that's going to come down to price.

If the new lens is either expensive or heavy, I'm thinking a prime. But I don't know what's good and economical (a few thousand in lenses already makes another one a non-starter with my chief... aka wife). :)

I think a prime lens makes more sense than 8-25mm with the 12-40. That's just too much overlap. Personally I have the small Olympus 9-18mm lens, just because it is so small and I don't need wider than 12mm very often, but it's important to have. But I bought it when there was no Laowa lenses.

The newest Laowa 10mm f/2.0 lens has electric contacts (no AF, but not a big problem with focus peaking & such a wide lens with big DoF), so I might have chosen that one if I bought a super wide lens currently. But the switch would cost too much for my usage.

I think a prime lens makes more sense than 8-25mm with the 12-40. That's just too much overlap. Personally I have the small Olympus 9-18mm lens, just because it is so small and I don't need wider than 12mm very often, but it's important to have. But I bought it when there was no Laowa lenses.

The newest Laowa 10mm f/2.0 lens has electric contacts (no AF, but not a big problem with focus peaking & such a wide lens with big DoF), so I might have chosen that one if I bought a super wide lens currently. But the switch would cost too much for my usage.

You know, I'm not against MF lenses -- my Dad gifted me a large collection of Pentax lenses (and a film camera) this Christmas. Of course nothing wide for M43, but they weren't terrible to focus, and had great results, and that at a few decades old. So maybe the Laowa's would be a good choice.

I just get really spoiled with auto-focus. I can't help but think that back in the day shooting birds with a large focal length and film must have been an art in frustration... But on the wide side, I shoot mostly stuff that doesn't move...

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran

Agreed, the 8-25 makes more sense to me when paired with a tele zoom with maybe a prime in the gap (Sigma 30 would be perfect for that)

I'd love to see Laowa update their non-electronic MFT lenses now that they are in the consortium and can do electronic lenses. The 7.5 and 17 would be even better if fully integrated.

The 7.5 or 10 both make more sense for pairing with the 12-40 than the 8-25 would be, the latter is more of a replacement for the wide shooter.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
You know, I'm not against MF lenses -- my Dad gifted me a large collection of Pentax lenses (and a film camera) this Christmas. Of course nothing wide for M43, but they weren't terrible to focus, and had great results, and that at a few decades old. So maybe the Laowa's would be a good choice.

I just get really spoiled with auto-focus. I can't help but think that back in the day shooting birds with a large focal length and film must have been an art in frustration... But on the wide side, I shoot mostly stuff that doesn't move...

Another thing is that a wide lens such 10mm, will have great DoF mostly. As so, much is in focus no matter where you put the focus on, and mostly can keep it at a certain position always if you have f/4.0+ chosen. But I'm not the best with these maths.

OK, so I guess a related question - I can't imagine except when I'm trying to be particularly artsy, that I'd generally want to take photos in fisheye which it seems the bulk of ultrawide angle lenses are at. I know my OM-D E-M1.2 and LightRoom/PhotoShop can correct that, but is it lossless? I.e. does it look the same or should I specifically look for rectilinear lenses?

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
OK, so I guess a related question - I can't imagine except when I'm trying to be particularly artsy, that I'd generally want to take photos in fisheye which it seems the bulk of ultrawide angle lenses are at. I know my OM-D E-M1.2 and LightRoom/PhotoShop can correct that, but is it lossless? I.e. does it look the same or should I specifically look for rectilinear lenses?
If you defish an image, you get blurry, distorted edges. On the other hand, you can afford to crop some of that off because it is VERY wide (wider than 7mm rectilinear with the Oly 8mm FE). I posted an example here:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/dilemma-8mm-f-1-8-pro-fisheye-or-7-14mm-f-2-8-uwa.108031/post-1373522

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you center the horizon in the fisheye photo distortion is minimized and you don't need to de-fish.

Not really. If you have any other straight line nearer to the edge you will see the distortion. It is true that a straight line through the middle usually stays straight, but the horizon in the middle is also often not the most pleasing compositionally.

If we get a few more mp in the next generation of cameras defishing will be more attractive though.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran

Most UWA's are rectilinear, by far. There's a number of fisheyes, but they mostly sit in bags, in large part because correction is not lossless and using them is actually pretty hard. They can be easy to design, so there's a decent number of cheap ones out there for people on a budget and willing to accept the IQ loss to get really wide on a budget.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Big and heavy, or light and small. Why have a zoom when you only shoot at the widest setting. The zoom always loses speed as you open it up. Are you willing to wait perhaps a year for an Olympus, when you can get the 7.5 mm, f2 Laowa rectilinear WA lens. Just keep your feet out of the shot.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I have always wondered why such lenses as PL 8-18 lose the light advantage of f/2.8 so fast when zoomed. But I realized that with wide-end, f/2.8 will give plenty of DoF, so is quite handy in low-light.

Do you find it this way? Personally I would think that is more useful with our system than the extra 18-25mm, but of course depends on the needs. Especially as people usually have something like 12-40mm Pro, 12-45 Pro or 12-100mm Pro also with them.

Do others think that these lenses will likely be quite similar in size? Or how does this focal length vs f-number work? Of course the size will depend also on the sharpness of the lens etc. in different areas.
It depends on the lens design.

An example. The FTs 14-54 MkII and 50-200 MkI both stopped down in a relatively linear fashion. The 50-200 MkII (different optics) almost immediately stopped down from f/2.8 to f/3.5.

The 50-200 MkI was still f/2.8 until after 98mm.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Maybe 10mm F1.6 would be more realistic, or 8mm F1.8, I don't know the exact numbers. But I think you guys get the idea: an ultra-wide prime, Pro quality, brighter aperture for interiors, but a bit more compact than 7-14mm F2.8 at the same time. But as I said, I won't be too picky, 8-25mm F4 will probably be more than good enough.
There's already the f/1.8 8mm Olympus. It's a fish eye that is also an UWA rectilinear ...

Kurgan

Mu-43 Rookie
Combine the 8-25mm f4 with the 100-400 and you have a great outdoors kit. Wide for landscapes, long for animals. And the 100-400mm can function as a macro.

Latest threads

Top Bottom