Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
There is another lens with similar focal range grouped with the other new/upcoming compact F4 lenses, so likely it will be F4 too.

Someone wondered why have both a 50-200mm and a 50-230mm upcoming, and I think F2.8 vs F4 must be the reason.

It is interesting so many upcoming Pro lenses, mostly telephoto, but only one non-Pro, which is super-telephoto. Maybe Olympus trying hard to distance the system from smartphones. Telephoto might be an advantage of Micro Four Thirds over full frame too.

The f/2.8 and f/4 lenses make sense.

Tele IS an advantage of m4/3 over FF.

At the same magnification / angle of view, I can use a shorter m4/3 lens than a FF lens.
For me, one of the m4/3 advantage is simply from the logistics of carrying the weight and bulk of a BIG FF lens.
The Panasonic 35-100/2.8 is half the weight of the Nikon 70-200/4, and about a quarter of the weight of the 70-200/2.8.​
The Olympus 40-150R is smaller than my film 135/3.5, and way smaller and lighter than my film/FF 75-300.​
Both are non-pro lenses, so the comparison is valid.​
There isn't a pro FF 70-300 to compare the Olympus 40-150/2.8 to.​
The Olympus 75-300 is so much smaller and lighter than the Sigma 150-600.​

While weight may not be an issue if you are in your 20s or 30s.
When you get older, every extra pound of gear is harder to haul and shoot with.
I have past that point. To keep shooting like I have, I had to reduce the weight of my kit.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend

red_zergling

Mu-43 Veteran
If it is lighter and works with more of the features in the Olympus E-m1 III, such as in-camera focus stacking, this will likely replace the Panasonic Leica 8-18mm for me. I do hope that it does not need an adaptor to use filters.

It's really nice to also have access to the 25mm focal length too.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
My issue with a 50-200/2.8 is that it leaves an even bigger hole, for a smaller/lighter lens.
Some times, size and weight are an issue.
Even with the smaller 40-150/2.8, I am thinking about getting the Panasonic 35-100/2.8, as a smaller/lighter companion lens.
I ended up getting the 35-100mm f2.8 for the same reason. It works fantastic with one of my Canon 58mm 1.5x converters for when I need that extra reach, and don't mind the added weight of the converter in those situations.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Canon TC works with 35-100?
I am the unfortunate owner of bags full of converters. So when I bought the PL35-100mm I couldn't resist trying it out with all the possible converters that would fit on it. From those results I found out that only two converters worked on the PL35-100mm f2.8 without showing any vignetting, chromatic aberration, or loss in sharpness.
1. The Nikon 1.7x TE17ED. But it requires an expensive and hard to find 58mm to 60mm step up adapter ring. It is also very heavy.
2. The Canon TC-DC58A. It screws straight into the 35-100. The pictures are still pin sharp with the converter. Just make sure it is the TC-DC58A, and not the N,C, or standard TC-DC58. I tried those as well and the results were unacceptable to terrible.

Lcosman

New to Mu-43
I’m usually an optimistic person and, up until recently a dedicated Olympus “enthusiast”. I love the lenses I’ve purchased and used and really like the MFT format. Unfortunately, in my professional life, I’ve been a “victim” of a private equity group buying out the company I’ve worked for only to have them sell off the assets and destroy what was a great organization. I really hope that won’t be the case here with the sale to “JIP”. Having said that, I’ve been “patiently” waiting for the 100-400 IS lens that was supposed to be coming. Absolutely no mention of this in the “updated” roadmap. No updated sensor in the EMiii was another disappointment but that’s for another discussion that I’m sure there are plenty of opinions on. To be honest, I’m tired of rumours and bad news. I’m looking at alternatives. Not 100 percent where I’m headed but wish all best of luck.

Real Name
Walter
... I’ve been “patiently” waiting for the 100-400 IS lens that was supposed to be coming. Absolutely no mention of this in the “updated” roadmap.

Actually, the 100-400 f5-6.3 IS lens is featured on the updated roadmap and the roadmap previous to this. It was supposed to be announced this summer, so I am eagerly awaiting news of it. Haven't given up yet!

amit

Mu-43 Veteran
8 -25 , from ultra wide to normal -Im highly interested...
Correct me if Im wrong, I've never seen this range before in any system . Closest is the panasonic 10-25 that is huge.
Do we know when it will be available?

Last edited:

Rabe

New to Mu-43
8 -25 , from ultra wide to normal -Im highly interested...
Correct me if Im wrong, I've never seen this range before in any system . Closest is the panasonic 10-25 that is huge.
The Canon 17-40 4L comes to mind. But that one weighs half a kilo and has a 77mm filter thread. From the reviews I read, it also is rather meddling in the optics department. I never tried one for myself though.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I've been out of the loop and this is the first time I've heard about Olympus selling its camera division. To some of us who have been shooting Olympus since the days of the original OM-1 (my first "serious" camera), the news is a bit sad. I have the Pen-F, the original E-M5, a stylus 1s and a bunch of fixed and zoom lenses that meet my needs, so as long as these work for me, I'm unlikely to move on to another brand. I love the Pen-F, and will use it as long as it keeps going. After that, I suppose it would depend on what the new owners do with the brand. In any event I plan to keep a camera around with which I can use the lovely Zuiko 12-40 f2.8, a piece of glass I really love. My next camera purchase will probably be to upgrade the Leica D-lux type 109, which has become my everyday camera, with the D-lux 7. No system camera upgrades for quite a while.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The Canon 17-40 4L comes to mind. But that one weighs half a kilo and has a 77mm filter thread. From the reviews I read, it also is rather meddling in the optics department. I never tried one for myself though.
My wife has that 17-40mm f/4 L and to be honest I'm far from impressed by its IQ. Overrated and overpriced. Mediocre at best.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I think Olympus has delivered some nice things "lately" - personally I haven't bought any camera gear in a while but the 8-25mm sounds interesting as a replacement to my 9-18mm. The em1-III looks very tempting to replace my EM1-I especially improved IBIS, Joystick, C-AF, 20 MP appeal to me. I also have been lusting a 50-200mm Pana for some time - to me it a great focal lens and it is fast, sharp and not too big, but an Olympus version would be preferable if I could benefit from Sync IS. So for me plenty of reasons to stick around in terms of new gear. Also I am very happy with my current gear so I am sticking around anyway.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Seems to be an overlap of some previous Panasonic lenses. And a stop or so slower. Size, bigger so far with the 100-400. I would like an 85/100 prime lens. Macro would suit if f2.8 or faster. There is the P 35-100 f2.8 zoom, or for loadsamoney the 50-200. Waiting.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
No updated sensor in the EMiii was another disappointment but that’s for another discussion that I’m sure there are plenty of opinions on. To be honest, I’m tired of rumours and bad news. I’m looking at alternatives. Not 100 percent where I’m headed but wish all best of luck.
I must agree with you sentiments as I have been through similar circumstances as you mention more than once.

With regard to updated sensors, other brands seem to be also conservative in this area. Now I may be wrong but Sony seem to be using the same sensors in their newer APSC models, both Canon & Nikon seem to be just tweaking their previous sensors for their flagship DSLR's [20mp mirror models] and Fuji just seen to be tweaking their X series sensors as well.
But I have no real knowledge of sensors so could be completely wrong. I see some new sensors in FF models but it does not seem to be across the board. So Mu-43 is not really so far behind in my view.

I still have hope for Olympus, but I must admit this is partly due to the fact that I do not have the funds to change systems as well as my belief that they make gear that no other manufacturer makes. But in this regard my beliefs amount to nothing :(

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
I'm hopeful and interested in the new lenses if they are also IPx1 or better rated. For me the fact that Olympus actually provides and meets a spec on weather resistance is a big part of why I am with the system.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I must agree with you sentiments as I have been through similar circumstances as you mention more than once.

With regard to updated sensors, other brands seem to be also conservative in this area. Now I may be wrong but Sony seem to be using the same sensors in their newer APSC models, both Canon & Nikon seem to be just tweaking their previous sensors for their flagship DSLR's [20mp mirror models] and Fuji just seen to be tweaking their X series sensors as well.
But I have no real knowledge of sensors so could be completely wrong. I see some new sensors in FF models but it does not seem to be across the board. So Mu-43 is not really so far behind in my view.

I still have hope for Olympus, but I must admit this is partly due to the fact that I do not have the funds to change systems as well as my belief that they make gear that no other manufacturer makes. But in this regard my beliefs amount to nothing :(

Interesting thing I noticed is, the cameras with the 20-24MP sensors have not increased their sensor resolution in a few generations.
It is like there is a sweet spot at 24MP.

The Nikon DX and Canon APS-C cameras seem to have stabilized about 24MP, the Canon 90D at 30MP being an exception.
The Nikon D7500 actually went down to 20MP, from 24MP in the D7200.​
And the mid range Nikon FX/Canon FF cameras has similarly stabilized about 24MP.

My guess it that there may be a data transfer rate issue that they are running into, for these class of cameras.
Increase the sensor resolution, at the same frame rate, and the camera has to handle more data faster.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren

I don’t think your belief amounts to nothing, because it takes two sides to make a market. Sure, we don’t know what the new company will do, and we might never get a chance to buy another OM-D camera. But on the other hand, if there aren’t any buyers hanging around waiting for what the new company will do, even if the company actually has the will and means to drive the brand forward, then it will have already failed.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Back to the original question.

No, neither of these two specific lenses changes my mind or would change my mind if I had decided to leave m4/3. And yes I have considered it. But instead with the latest 20% refurb and tax free weekend I have added the 12-45 Pro and new 100-400.

The 8-25 is a very interesting option. I would consider getting one IF it ends up being smaller than my PL8-18.

Latest threads

Top Bottom