Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
That sounds reasonable. Wonder when it will arrive, and what its price will be. Would be nice at around the $600 level.
Well, the O9-18mm F4-5.6 is already $699 (consumer grade lens), the new O8-25mm F4 (Pro lens) is heading higher, I guess. The main competitor the PL8-18mm F2.8-4 is not cheap as well - $1099. But I like your pricing policy!

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The 100mm macro would be nice but the lens im personally is waiting for is the zoom in the range 50-250 on the road map

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
It would be really nice if Olympus made the 100mm macro to work with their tele-converter, as Sigma did with the L-mount version of their latest macro

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am waiting to see if when the 100-400 becomes comonly available
My local has not seen one and does not know if they will
It could be shortage or they are getting out of Oly gear, or just waiting to what happens with JIP I guess.

Went into Teds the other week and did not have a lot of Oly display models of the latest gear. If you wanted to see an EM1.3 they had to open a box. I was looking at a bag and wanted to see if it fitted

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
It would be really nice if Olympus made the 100mm macro to work with their tele-converter, as Sigma did with the L-mount version of their latest macro
I am really not sure about Tele converters. Do the new breed work well? limited lens selection, possibly solved with a 12mm auto tube?

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I am really not sure about Tele converters. Do the new breed work well? limited lens selection, possibly solved with a 12mm auto tube?
They serve different purposes...tele convert is great if more reach/longer focal range is needed.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
A teleconverter on a macro lens wouldn't increase the close-focusing specs, right? (i.e. if the lens will do 1:1 without it, it still does 1:1 with it). If that is correct, then the TC would just increase your magnification, so the lens becomes a 140mm or a 200mm, I would think. Do you photograph a lot of fast-moving, skittish bugs or something?

caonidayeah

Mu-43 Rookie
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-wi...new-8-25mm-f-4-pro-lens-added-to-the-roadmap/

After the major downer announcement about Olympus imaging being sold and likely downsized, this announcement was really a pleasant surprise. I can't help but wonder if these are sort of the "last gasp" products from the original imaging group, and after this everything will change... I'm sure everyone has already seen this and has been talking about it, but I didn't see any threads about the new wide angle zoom, so I thought I'd start a thread to see how others reacted.

A longer macro and a another more compact wide angle lens for landscapes (that takes filters) are 2 Olympus lenses I have wanted to see for years, and I don't think I'm the only one... So this will affect my decision of whether and how fast to "slow down" or someday abandon Olympus. The 8-25mm f/4 especially is going to be hard for me to resist. I was VERY tempted to get the Panasonic 10-25 f/1.7, but it was so expensive that I held off, even after it went on sale for a little while recently. Now that this smaller Olympus option is on the horizon, I will wait for it. The Panasonic lens would be better for nightscapes, but the Olympus will be much smaller and more affordable... I could see myself just leaving the 8-25mm on my camera for long periods as a general purpose lens for hikes/landscape use. And if the new macro is also a smaller f/4 lens (or f/2.8), I might just stick with Olympus for quite a while, regardless of what happens...

Glad to hear confirmation that the super expensive 150-400 is still going to happen... I don't care that it has been delayed yet again, because I really doubt I will get it. I'll more likely stick with my 300 pro +1.4X teleconverter. The "bird detect" mode for AF is was also great to see, although I don't think I will ever own the E-M1X, so I will have to wait and hope for it to trickle down to a smaller body. Personally, I doubt the "bird detect" will work perfectly in the first iteration anyway, but it was a great to see it announced.

Dave
same here. got myself a zuiko 7-14mm F4 and going to skip the mzuiko counterpart and wait on the 8-25mm!!!! being counting my fingers til release. super duper excited!!

caonidayeah

Mu-43 Rookie
Well, the O9-18mm F4-5.6 is already $699 (consumer grade lens), the new O8-25mm F4 (Pro lens) is heading higher, I guess. The main competitor the PL8-18mm F2.8-4 is not cheap as well - $1099. But I like your pricing policy!
the new 8-25mm can't cost more than the 7-14 pro, right? i need a weather-sealed pro wide angle zoom to walk about.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
larger :( I was hoping for a more compact wide angle zoom.
If the 12-45/4 transformed magically to 10-35/4 with same size/weight that would be my dream

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
I am not a patent guru but this filing seems to be for the Olympus 8-25mm f/4.. if I read/translate it correctly, the lens optics are 120-130mm in length which is ~5 inches

https://asobinet.com/info-patent-oy-8-25mm-f4/

I am always on the lookout for a 9-18mm replacement that fits my small and light desires.. I am becoming increasingly doubtful that the target market for the 8-25mm has my wishes in mind...

one can always hope though..
Dogbert62

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
I am always on the lookout for a 9-18mm replacement that fits my small and light desires.. I am becoming increasingly doubtful that the target market for the 8-25mm has my wishes in mind...

one can always hope though..
Dogbert62
The 9-18 is small and light.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
A teleconverter on a macro lens wouldn't increase the close-focusing specs, right? (i.e. if the lens will do 1:1 without it, it still does 1:1 with it). If that is correct, then the TC would just increase your magnification, so the lens becomes a 140mm or a 200mm, I would think. Do you photograph a lot of fast-moving, skittish bugs or something?
I used the EC-14 1.4x teleconverter on my 4/3rd Sigma 105 f2.8 macro lens on occasion. It helped to get larger images of skittish insects without scaring them off. Doesn't change the close focusing distance, but you could get greater than 1:1. Yielded effectively a 148 mm macro lens, but it is more of a challenge handholding a relatively long telephoto lens at close-up distances. A monopod or tripod would help, but a bit of a pain when you're trying to shoot bugs that could run away while you're setting up. I imagine the MC-14 on a 100 mm macro would be useful, but I'm not sure how good the results will be.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom