Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

WT21

Super Moderator
You could always try the EOS-M system.

Which is now rumored to be end of life after the next (and I guess last?) EOS-M7 release coming up.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
The Canon 17-40 4L comes to mind. But that one weighs half a kilo and has a 77mm filter thread. From the reviews I read, it also is rather meddling in the optics department. I never tried one for myself though.
I'd argue that the difference between a 17-40mm focal range and a 16-50mm (equivalent) focal range is pretty big too.

It's weird - in many ways this feels like the golden age for m4/3 lenses - lots of good and interesting choices - and it comes right at the moment that Olympus decides to pull back.

WT21

Super Moderator
I'v been swimming in Canon land, thinking about switching. Both R and M.

All these caveats, and "this lens is only good for this" and "that lens acts weird when you do that." The only 3rd party lenses (Samyang) it seems don't focus well, and it's best that you use a different lens profile (i.e. fool LR into thinking it's a different lens). And the EOS-M may (or may not) be discontinued. The M6ii has shutter shock and no EFCS. Anything before the M5 has an odd color cast. The 15-45 kit is soft. Ugh. And! -- only the most expensive bodies have IBIS and two dials, and all the rest of the toys you want. Trying to buy a Canon body feels like I'm back in 2012 with m43. Do you want the EPL2, the EM1, the EP3, or the GF2? Which tradeoffs are you willing to make?

I like m43. The lenses are all excellent, and with a few exceptions, most of the bodies just work.

Maybe m43 is "too mature!" There are a lot of excellent used lenses around. Perhaps Oly and Panasonic have sold nearly all they can! (although a quiet, sure focusing P20/1.7 would reignite some sales!)

sorry....end rant

Last edited:

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
The 8-25mm f4 is very interesting to me. If the price is under $800 USD I just might plunk down for my first new lens since the 12-40 PRO. Most everything else has been second hand.

Thanks to all those who have added or explored other systems and reported back here on your experiences. It helps keep me grounded that no perfect system exists. Of all the trade offs, m43 still hits the sweet spot for me despite the knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth that is Full Frame market right now.

i just need to charge the batteries and get out on a photo walk more often and enjoy the process.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 8-25mm f4 is very interesting to me. If the price is under $800 USD I just might plunk down for my first new lens since the 12-40 PRO. Most everything else has been second hand.

Thanks to all those who have added or explored other systems and reported back here on your experiences. It helps keep me grounded that no perfect system exists. Of all the trade offs, m43 still hits the sweet spot for me despite the knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth that is Full Frame market right now.

i just need to charge the batteries and get out on a photo walk more often and enjoy the process.
Every time I pick up my D7200, I remember why I switched from a dSLR to m4/3.

I only use the D7200 because there is no m4/3 lens comparable to the 70-200/4 for field sports, for me. That is a sweet handling lens.
But I sometimes miss the ability to shoot at 19fps. Ah, compromises.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Every time I pick up my D7200, I remember why I switched from a dSLR to m4/3.

I only use the D7200 because there is no m4/3 lens comparable to the 70-200/4 for field sports, for me. That is a sweet handling lens.
But I sometimes miss the ability to shoot at 19fps. Ah, compromises.
I thought the Oly 40-150 pro would have filled that requirement? Or is the 70-200 a lot sharper ? Never tried FF or APSC of any variety to be able to compare.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I thought the Oly 40-150 pro would have filled that requirement? Or is the 70-200 a lot sharper ? Never tried FF or APSC of any variety to be able to compare.
So did I. But the NIkon 70-200/4 zooms easier and smoother. The Nikon, at least before it went into the shop for a VR repair, I could easily turn the zoom ring with my fingers.
ALL the Olympus zooms that I have, have a fair amount of drag on the zoom ring. I have to grab the zoom ring with my hand, to have enough leverage on the ring. Not as hard as some other lenses, but definitely more than the Nikon.
So it is not the lens per say, but specifically the operation of the zoom ring that is the difference.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The PL 35-100mm f2.8 is the most obvious equivalent to that Nikon. I love its zooming action.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The PL 35-100mm f2.8 is the most obvious equivalent to that Nikon. I love its zooming action.
That lens has been on my list for a while.
The issue is the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction than the Olympus zooms, so switching between lenses on the Olympuys would be confusing.
Although, the Panasonic lens zoom turns in the same direction as Nikon, so maybe it won't be so difficult.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I wonder what the timeline for these new lenses will be in light of the JIP situation. I think the 8-25 might interest me, potentially replacing the PL 8-18 which is a very nice lens, but the extra reach would come in handy.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I'll be keeping my Pen-F (love it, and I shoot raw!), and my original E-M5, but I don't know that I'll be upgrading. I have the lenses I need and any I might want are already out there. I might try to acquire a Leica CL and 23mm lens at some point, but that's all on my wish list at the moment. I've shot with Olympus cameras for at least 40 years, so I'm sorry to see them getting rid of the imaging business.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
What does it mean to "stick with Olympus"? I'm not going to buy a lens that I don't need just to make a point.
Am I "sticking with Olympus" because I continue to use its gear that I've paid for?

That is an interesting focal length. The 9-18 is getting long in the tooth, although mine is still fine.

As for whether I'd buy it: It's definitely not something I'd preorder or buy upon release. It's not even on my radar, regardless of which company makes it.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
2 more mm than the Panasonic Leica, so everyone jump on it. 2 years of hoping, talking, pondering. And then not happy when it is released in Pro-Orange.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I really will stay with Olympus because of my arsenal of lenses and bodies. EM1 ii, 2 EM-1, EM-5ii, EM-10, 12-40 2.8, 40-150 2.8 with 1.4x, 7-14mm Panny, 25mm 1.8 Panny, 45mm 2.8 Panny/Leica, 14-54mm 2.8 with adapter, 50-200mm 2.8 with adapter, 40-150mm kit lens, along with adapted Nikon lenses. I place little faith in a company's timeline of new things until they actually appear. I am reminded that Olympus said they had no interest to divest very shortly before they did agree to sell. I am happy with my equipment, with the weight, the results so I will stay in the fold. I still have a Nikon D750 and an old and much loved D2x with many lenses, flashes, etc so when I want to change equipment, I can. I have m43. APC, and FF.

I don't know if it changes my position either way but... 8-25mm and 50-250mm! Yowza! Those are my two literal dream focal lengths... especially if they are as sharp as their f/2.8 counterparts, have Sync IS, and the long one is compatible with the 2.0 teleconverter. It's all about that 72mm filter thread. For myself, I could not think of two better lenses for general outdoor use. Once they are both out, I will buy everything in the paragraph including the latest and greatest EM1. Also a 10mm f/1.8 (or f/1.7) of similar size and quality to the other f/1.7/1.8s in the system.

After that the only remaining lens on my dream list would be a compact razor sharp 25-75mm (or 20-80) f/2..0...

Real Name
Walter
I'm committed to sticking with Olympus as long as the equipment works and I can get service if needed (which they hardly have). But, if the new lenses they announced actually materialize, it'd be even more reason to persist. I will persist! :)
I bought the 100-400, so I put my money where my mouth is. :)

Still might be interested in the 8-25 f4 Pro when it shows up.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom