Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is another lens with similar focal range grouped with the other new/upcoming compact F4 lenses, so likely it will be F4 too.

Someone wondered why have both a 50-200mm and a 50-230mm upcoming, and I think F2.8 vs F4 must be the reason.

It is interesting so many upcoming Pro lenses, mostly telephoto, but only one non-Pro, which is super-telephoto. Maybe Olympus trying hard to distance the system from smartphones. Telephoto might be an advantage of Micro Four Thirds over full frame too.
The f/2.8 and f/4 lenses make sense.

Tele IS an advantage of m4/3 over FF.

At the same magnification / angle of view, I can use a shorter m4/3 lens than a FF lens.
For me, one of the m4/3 advantage is simply from the logistics of carrying the weight and bulk of a BIG FF lens.
The Panasonic 35-100/2.8 is half the weight of the Nikon 70-200/4, and about a quarter of the weight of the 70-200/2.8.​
The Olympus 40-150R is smaller than my film 135/3.5, and way smaller and lighter than my film/FF 75-300.​
Both are non-pro lenses, so the comparison is valid.​
There isn't a pro FF 70-300 to compare the Olympus 40-150/2.8 to.​
The Olympus 75-300 is so much smaller and lighter than the Sigma 150-600.​

While weight may not be an issue if you are in your 20s or 30s.
When you get older, every extra pound of gear is harder to haul and shoot with.
I have past that point. To keep shooting like I have, I had to reduce the weight of my kit.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If it is lighter and works with more of the features in the Olympus E-m1 III, such as in-camera focus stacking, this will likely replace the Panasonic Leica 8-18mm for me. I do hope that it does not need an adaptor to use filters.

It's really nice to also have access to the 25mm focal length too.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
My issue with a 50-200/2.8 is that it leaves an even bigger hole, for a smaller/lighter lens.
Some times, size and weight are an issue.
Even with the smaller 40-150/2.8, I am thinking about getting the Panasonic 35-100/2.8, as a smaller/lighter companion lens.
I ended up getting the 35-100mm f2.8 for the same reason. It works fantastic with one of my Canon 58mm 1.5x converters for when I need that extra reach, and don't mind the added weight of the converter in those situations.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Canon TC works with 35-100?
I am the unfortunate owner of bags full of converters. So when I bought the PL35-100mm I couldn't resist trying it out with all the possible converters that would fit on it. From those results I found out that only two converters worked on the PL35-100mm f2.8 without showing any vignetting, chromatic aberration, or loss in sharpness.
1. The Nikon 1.7x TE17ED. But it requires an expensive and hard to find 58mm to 60mm step up adapter ring. It is also very heavy.
2. The Canon TC-DC58A. It screws straight into the 35-100. The pictures are still pin sharp with the converter. Just make sure it is the TC-DC58A, and not the N,C, or standard TC-DC58. I tried those as well and the results were unacceptable to terrible.

Lcosman

New to Mu-43
I’m usually an optimistic person and, up until recently a dedicated Olympus “enthusiast”. I love the lenses I’ve purchased and used and really like the MFT format. Unfortunately, in my professional life, I’ve been a “victim” of a private equity group buying out the company I’ve worked for only to have them sell off the assets and destroy what was a great organization. I really hope that won’t be the case here with the sale to “JIP”. Having said that, I’ve been “patiently” waiting for the 100-400 IS lens that was supposed to be coming. Absolutely no mention of this in the “updated” roadmap. No updated sensor in the EMiii was another disappointment but that’s for another discussion that I’m sure there are plenty of opinions on. To be honest, I’m tired of rumours and bad news. I’m looking at alternatives. Not 100 percent where I’m headed but wish all best of luck.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
... I’ve been “patiently” waiting for the 100-400 IS lens that was supposed to be coming. Absolutely no mention of this in the “updated” roadmap.
Actually, the 100-400 f5-6.3 IS lens is featured on the updated roadmap and the roadmap previous to this. It was supposed to be announced this summer, so I am eagerly awaiting news of it. Haven't given up yet!

amit

Mu-43 Regular
8 -25 , from ultra wide to normal -Im highly interested...
Correct me if Im wrong, I've never seen this range before in any system . Closest is the panasonic 10-25 that is huge.
Do we know when it will be available?

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom