Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The pricing of the 100-400mm will be critical. With the PL100-400mm now below £1000 in the UK, the Oly lens will have to be no more than £800 if it wants to shift. Weight will also be of interest.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The pricing of the 100-400mm will be critical. With the PL100-400mm now below £1000 in the UK, the Oly lens will have to be no more than £800 if it wants to shift. Weight will also be of interest.
Regarding the price, the 100-400 is not that much longer than the 75-300. So from a reach PoV that is a consideration, for those of us on a budget.
The pros are: IS and hopefully Sync IS, weathersealing, updated optics (I hope).
Tough call.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It means I don't have to assign a button to switch between AF and MF,
Also to note, in case anyone cares, the manner in which the camera performs MF is actually different between switching in MF in the menus or via an assigned button/switch than it acts when performed with the clutch. The clutch also has hard stops where as normally you can spin it all day in either direction.

Regarding the price, the 100-400 is not that much longer than the 75-300.
I suppose if you think 33% longer is not that much. o_O

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I suppose if you think 33% longer is not that much. o_O
I would like at least 50% more, to justify the upgrade, if based on focal length only.

Same as going from 40-150/2.8 to a 50-200/2.8.
Is going from 150 to 200 a significant enough change, to make it worth the cost?
Marginal bordering on NO, on the 50-200/2.8, but more like a YES on a 50-250/2.8 (ignoring the weight increase).

Now when you add the other factors, like IS, weather sealing and better optics, the picture changes to more justify the 100-400.
And in my case, if the zoom ring is smoother and lighter, that makes a big difference.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I still wonder how much faith we can place on the lens road map at this juncture, given that the whole thing will soon be "under new management" with a mandate to make the company profitable within a short timeframe. If you look at the map, the clear overall Olympus strategy for quite a while has been the development and expansion of the premium, expensive "Pro" lenses. Indeed most of the future lenses presently on the map are in that category. I'm guessing that whole strategy might get drastically curtailed when the new company takes things over. So I sure hope both the 8-25mm f/4 and the new longer macro become "real."

Dave
Olympus has AT LEAST till the end of the year to get those on the market. The new management/owners/decision-makers won't have a say until the shares have been transferred etc.

I feel people are panicking/stressing out way too much about this "what MIGHT happen in the future" thing. Stop worrying and live it day by day. Not more you can do about it anyway, right?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Olympus has AT LEAST till the end of the year to get those on the market. The new management/owners/decision-makers won't have a say until the shares have been transferred etc. People are panicking/stressing out way too much about this "what MIGHT happen in the future" thing. Stop worrying and live it day by day. Not more you can do about it anyway, right?
Clearly this is Olympus Imaging's best chance of survival.

The current system clearly isn't working, or they wouldn't be doing this. It's either change something or go out of business.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus is doing its best not to make zoom lenses that have an identical focal length as the Panasonic. So the 100-400mm won't be a priority.
You could be right, but according to my local photo store it is costing them sales in both bodies and lenses as people buy the G9 and 100-400
Panasonic also conduct bird walks for this combo, they know they are onto a winning combination that Oly have no counter for

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
An interesting comment from Olympus UK regarding sales during last 3 month.

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....-fallen-exclusive-olympus-uk-interview-138455

I don’t think there will be any major discounting as a result of this. The market has been difficult for the last few years anyway, then the current virus situation has made life even tougher for everybody but what I can tell you is that we have sold more products in the last three months in the UK than we did last year – sales in this first quarter are up.

Everyone expected sales to drop off a cliff in April as all the stores were closed, but the UK is pretty robust when it comes to buying cameras and lenses online – probably the leading country in Europe when it comes to Internet sales. Not everyone was badly hit during the lockdown, and people could devote more time to their photography hobby, so we targeted them with various webinars and online interaction with our great team. So business is pretty strong.

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
The fact that Olympus was sold didn’t bug me at all. What did scare me was that it was bought by a company best known for its salvage and dump operations. That and my EM1.2’s absolutely useless AF tracking pushed me to keep a 5.2 and the 60mm macro for my macro work and get an X-T3 to test their wildlife options. They look solid, we will see. So I’m not leaving Olympus but I’m cutting my larger losses in case they tank, mostly because I’d like to give Fuji a try anyway.

getoutandshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An interesting comment from Olympus UK regarding sales during last 3 month.

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....-fallen-exclusive-olympus-uk-interview-138455
I noticed that the E-M1 III "sale price" ($1600) may be about to end, according to B&H. I will be making a slow decision whether to "recommit" to Olympus (and micro-4/3 generally). If I do, my thought was that I might pick up the E-M1-III as a second body, simply because it might be the last of its kind, and it's so similar to the E-M1-II I already have (same batteries, I can even use the same RRS L-bracket). But I'm not ready or anxious to pay $1600, let alone full price. So I will bide my time.

Dave

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
You need to check your "facts". Olympus has not been sold. There is a MOU in place, nothing more, nothing less.
Cool story man. Find me a company in Japan in a similar situation that didn't sell in due course. OID isn't profitable. They can't hang on to it forever. The fact that you're grasping at that level of hair splitting tells me you're overestimating Olympus' chance of actually making it in the long run, though, so I'll not hold my breath for any actual back and forth besides your vitriol.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Cool story man. Find me a company in Japan in a similar situation that didn't sell in due course. OID isn't profitable. They can't hang on to it forever. The fact that you're grasping at that level of hair splitting tells me you're overestimating Olympus' chance of actually making it in the long run, though, so I'll not hold my breath for any actual back and forth besides your vitriol.
So you admit your "fact" is incorrect.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I noticed that the E-M1 III "sale price" ($1600) may be about to end, according to B&H. I will be making a slow decision whether to "recommit" to Olympus (and micro-4/3 generally). If I do, my thought was that I might pick up the E-M1-III as a second body, simply because it might be the last of its kind, and it's so similar to the E-M1-II I already have (same batteries, I can even use the same RRS L-bracket). But I'm not ready or anxious to pay $1600, let alone full price. So I will bide my time.

Dave
Yes, I'm kind of watching this too, anxiously waiting for that stupid "sale" to end! I bought an E-M5III recently and am considering adding the E-M1III as a non-travel camera (and getting rid of my Canon 80D). I'm especially watching the Olympus refurbs. Right now an E-M1III body is $1439. Come on Olympus, you can do better than that!! ;-)

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
So you admit your "fact" is incorrect.
I admit that, to lawyers, grammarians, and MFT die-hards, my fact (no quotes necessary) was unclear. A more legally correct phrase would be "Since Olympus has entered the formal process of being sold, a process that has legal implications that make backing out difficult and indicates a significant level of commitment in Japanese culture..."

That's a mouthful, so I'll just stick with sold.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I admit that, to lawyers, grammarians, and MFT die-hards, my fact (no quotes necessary) was unclear. A more legally correct phrase would be "Since Olympus has entered the formal process of being sold, a process that has legal implications that make backing out difficult and indicates a significant level of commitment in Japanese culture..."

That's a mouthful, so I'll just stick with sold.
“The fact that Olympus is in the process of being sold” would have been easier.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Yes, I'm kind of watching this too, anxiously waiting for that stupid "sale" to end! I bought an E-M5III recently and am considering adding the E-M1III as a non-travel camera (and getting rid of my Canon 80D). I'm especially watching the Olympus refurbs. Right now an E-M1III body is $1439. Come on Olympus, you can do better than that!! ;-)
Keep an eye out for 20% off on outlet items. They come up on an unpredictable basis. Getting your name on their email or phone on their text list will get you quick notice. Although, they announced the last TG-6 outlet sale at the moment it went on sale at 10 am EDT, which is 4 am HST. Naturally, I missed that. :-(

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
100mm macro. Faster than f2.8? Mechanical MF clutch? Really interested.
8-25mm f4. Seeing what 12-45mm f4 turned out to be, cautiously optimistic.

I think this is clearly still old Olympus decision making, the one that ok'ed em1x, large f1.2 lenses, and moved into other direction with smaller, weather sealed 12-45 f4. Too many question marks are hanging over JIP move, and quiet from the corporation is really not giving me any confidence in the brand. So, even if they came out tomorrow, be everything I'd ever wanted, and cheaper by every expectation, I'd not jump on them. On positive, I'm actually excited to see what JIP does with it's acquisition—provided they intend to continue it. I love Olympus optics, and I see opportunities in the business that Olympus corporation did not in favour of old mount-body-lens business model.

In fact, I would love to see manual focus lenses from Olympus. Not just MF clutch, simply fully manual. No auto focus, only mf ring, with aperture ring. I think the timing is right now for return to basics. Filmakers prefer mf, and will pick cinelike Meike 16mm t2.2 over Olympus 17mm f1.8, even when they're equally priced, and when Olympus is a ten of it's size and weight. Manual lens market is large, but dominated by budget Chinese makers lately, and niche exotically priced lenses. If a brand with long standing would enter it, it'd give credence to it, and could warrant prices in bulk quality to sell a lot, on a good proffit. It'd be also great for ease of mind regarding servicing and all. With mf lens, it's all down to the user, if he uses it well, it can last for a century. Even with question marks hovering over JIP move, I'd personally have no qualms picking one, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom