Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So a 1:1 mft lens actually fills the frame with a smaller subject than a 1:1 full frame lens. So the magnification in terms of pixels you get out of the sensor is actually higher on MFT?
A more accurate description is a 1:1 lens will give you the same image no matter what system it was designed for, but a m43 sensor's field of view will fill the frame with a smaller subject that a FF sensor.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Maybe it will be one of those "bright prime lenses", like a 10mm F1.4 or something. Whatever it ends up being (if anything), hopefully we will be able get it in time for summer. I've been patient, but I think I cannot wait much longer for an ultra-wide.

Maybe it will be one of those "bright prime lenses", like a 10mm F1.4 or something. Whatever it ends up being (if anything), hopefully we will be able get it in time for summer. I've been patient, but I think I cannot wait much longer for an ultra-wide.
Yeah, I'm with you -- I would really, really, really like something wider than 12 without going to a fisheye. I would like something like my 17/1.8 but 10. Hard to justify the Pro cost for something that's quite a bit more niche for me...

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, I'm with you -- I would really, really, really like something wider than 12 without going to a fisheye. I would like something like my 17/1.8 but 10. Hard to justify the Pro cost for something that's quite a bit more niche for me...

Laowa does a nice little 10/2 that's truely native (body-controlled aperture, full communication), but isn't sealed or AF. That said, AF isn't all that needed at 10mm

doady

Mu-43 Veteran

I've been thinking about the 8mm F1.8, because a smaller, bright prime would complement my 12-100mm F4 better than 7-14mm F2.8 would. But as you said, it is hard to justify the "Pro" cost if I am not sure I will use the fisheye effect a lot, so 8-25mm F4 will probably be the best choice. And maybe it will accept filters as well.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
And maybe it will accept filters as well.

I think they would be crazy if they launched this without the ability to use screw-in filters. I imagine it would make a lot of people stop and reconsider their purchase of this lens, including me.

We'll just have to wait and see what OMDS release.

Laowa does a nice little 10/2 that's truely native (body-controlled aperture, full communication), but isn't sealed or AF. That said, AF isn't all that needed at 10mm
Just wanted to let you know I took your recommendation... I just got it today, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm primarily going to use this for stitched panos I think, and it automatically corrects the distortion. So far, not too concerned about MF -- focus peaking works well. Looking forward to playing more with this :)

Best part this lens is really small and light - perfect for my light kit :)

pano_share.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, as I'm sure you all know by now, the 8-25 f4 Pro was officially announced. Some reviews are out. I said earlier that if the price was reasonable, I would consider replacing my 9-18 f4-5.6 with this lens. I'm still considering it, but may wait until it goes on sale. Eventually. :)
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-p7-and-8-25mm-pro-lens-officially-announced/
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/m-zuiko-digital-ed-8-25mm-f4-0-pro.html

It is on my Christmas list.
Hopefully Santa will bring one for me. :biggrin:

It's for sure a nice lens! To be honest, even nice, a $1099 purchase would be hard to swallow especially for what will probably be a bit of a niche lens for me. The Laowa 10mm/2 I think will pair well with my other small primes...

But as @Holoholo55 said, IF it goes on sale, the price becomes more attractive.
Yeah... Reasonable if for sure! I don't know... I love the idea of smaller, lighter pro lenses.

Right now I have my camera outside taking a live composite testing out my new 10mm and even now I'm a bit skittish about weather. I'm 99.9% sure it won't rain in Sicily tonight, but it would be nice to not be worried about it at all.

I also get physics are physics and f/4 ain't bad. But it is 2-3 stops from all my primes. Sigh :)

Real Name
Walter
As some have mentioned earlier, the 8-25 might be attractive as a travel lens in conjunction with a Pana X 35-100 or the 40-150 R. However, I have the 12-100 which would cover most of my travel shooting. But, for those times when you want a wider view, a UWA is hard to beat. 12 is pretty wide, but 8 is MUCH wider. I tried using a Laowa 7.5 f2 once, and while it definitely got wide, I couldn't make it work with aperture priority AE on my camera. I dunno why and since I only had it for 15 minutes, I couldn't figure it out. When my friend decided to sell it, I didn't buy. I think I need a rectilinear UWA that has electronic connections so AE would work right. I already have the 9-18 which I like to take along as a UWA lens for occasional use. It ain't the sharpest arrow in the quiver, but for occasional use, it's pretty decent.

This was shot inside the chapel at Providence Academy in Vancouver, WA with the 12-40 Pro at 12. Not quite wide enough, eh? Wish I'd brought my 9-18.
51225971598_9f233e2b61_c.jpg

Compare that to a pano from my iPhone. No, I don't expect this kind of view from an 8 mm lens, but it does show what I missed with the 12 mm shot.
You know, if I want this kind of view, maybe my iPhone is good enough. :-O
51225988788_2c6faa67c0_c.jpg

As some have mentioned earlier, the 8-25 might be attractive as a travel lens in conjunction with a Pana X 35-100 or the 40-150 R. However, I have the 12-100 which would cover most of my travel shooting. But, for those times when you want a wider view, a UWA is hard to beat. 12 is pretty wide, but 8 is MUCH wider. I tried using a Laowa 7.5 f2 once, and while it definitely got wide, I couldn't make it work with aperture priority AE on my camera. I dunno why and since I only had it for 15 minutes, I couldn't figure it out. When my friend decided to sell it, I didn't buy. I think I need a rectilinear UWA that has electronic connections so AE would work right. I already have the 9-18 which I like to take along as a UWA lens for occasional use. It ain't the sharpest arrow in the quiver, but for occasional use, it's pretty decent.

This was shot inside the chapel at Providence Academy in Vancouver, WA with the 12-40 Pro at 12. Not quite wide enough, eh? Wish I'd brought my 9-18.

Compare that to a pano from my iPhone. No, I don't expect this kind of view from an 8 mm lens, but it does show what I missed with the 12 mm shot.
You know, if I want this kind of view, maybe my iPhone is good enough. :-O
Funny, I was in Vancouver not very long ago - my son was looking at colleges, and we toured WSU Vancouver - ended up deciding on Pullman, but Vancouver is lovely. Either way, Apple Cup will be interesting next few years - I'm a Husky :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with using your phone if it makes sense. I use mine for 360 panos because it does all the work to make it rotatable in Facebook. In this particular case, I'd probably just do a stitched pano, though. But this is why I picked up the Laowa 10mm/2. Many buildings here in Sicily are very tall, and it's nice to be able to go wide without having to do two rows.

So far so good. I haven't really found anything I don't like about it yet. Very solid, small, light. Fits in well with my other primes...

Real Name
Walter
Funny, I was in Vancouver not very long ago - my son was looking at colleges, and we toured WSU Vancouver - ended up deciding on Pullman, but Vancouver is lovely. Either way, Apple Cup will be interesting next few years - I'm a Husky :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with using your phone if it makes sense. I use mine for 360 panos because it does all the work to make it rotatable in Facebook. In this particular case, I'd probably just do a stitched pano, though. But this is why I picked up the Laowa 10mm/2. Many buildings here in Sicily are very tall, and it's nice to be able to go wide without having to do two rows.

So far so good. I haven't really found anything I don't like about it yet. Very solid, small, light. Fits in well with my other primes...

Yes, Vancouver WA is a lovely city. Most people think you're talking about BC when you say Vancouver, and I've been there too. Smaller and more intimate than Portland across the river. First time I'd spent any time in the downtown area because we happened to stay at a Comfort Inn & Suites in town. We even walked to the Vancouver Farmer's Market on Sunday morning, which was great. The Providence Academy was right across the street from the hotel and the old brick smokestack was too obvious to overlook. Glad we scoped it out. We were there to visit my Mom who is living with my sister out in Orchards. We stayed in a hotel because it was more comfortable for us. I was hoping to see Fort Vancouver which was very close, but didn't make it. All in all, a very pleasant place to visit.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I also get physics are physics and f/4 ain't bad. But it is 2-3 stops from all my primes. Sigh :)

Old saying, in LOW light, FAST glass wins.

When I shoot basketball in the gym, I usually shoot my f/1.8 primes.
As much as the zooms are convenient, that extra 1+ stop faster than the f/2.8 zooms makes a difference.
With the f/1.8 primes, I can shoot at ISO 3200, rather than ISO 6400. Or 1/800 sec, rather than 1/400 sec.

When I travel, I bring a 17/1.8, just for the indoor low light stuff.

If you shoot a LOT in low light then getting a faster zoom (or the even faster f/1.2 primes) makes sense. But if you don't (like me), the f/1.8 primes plugs the low light gap "good enough."

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
As some have mentioned earlier, the 8-25 might be attractive as a travel lens in conjunction with a Pana X 35-100 or the 40-150 R. However, I have the 12-100 which would cover most of my travel shooting. But, for those times when you want a wider view, a UWA is hard to beat. 12 is pretty wide, but 8 is MUCH wider.
I have posted this before, but it is appropriate again here, I think. I made a PDF of several shots I took in Utah a few years ago, comparing 12mm (P12-35 lens) vs 9mm (Oly 9-18 lens) from exactly the same vantage point. There is a BIG difference. Of course, 8mm would be an even bigger difference. See it here:

http://www.rahsoft.net/m43_9-vs-12_comparison1.pdf

I am a little puzzled by the lack of mention of the PL 8-18 f2.8-4 (which I have). Compared to the 8-25, it is smaller, lighter (411g vs 315g), faster (obviously), and somewhat cheaper, I think (without a sale on the 8-25). Yes, the 8-25 has a better far-end focal range, but much of the discussion here is about the ultra-wide aspect of the 2 lenses, and the 8-18 is better at that Focal range (faster; and the size).

If I didn't have the 8-18 I think I would not be tempted much by the 8-25 (over the 8-18) because that's not my primary use for an ultra-wide lens like this. I CAN see the the advantage of say the 12-100 over other general-purpose lenses like the PL12-60 and the O12-45 (if you ignore the size), because it excels at the focal lengths you might likely USE it for.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom