Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've never been one for brand loyalty. I make purchasing decisions based on practical factors such as performance, features, quality and value for money, and so far in MFT that has kept me closer to Camp Panasonic. That said, after picking up my EM1.2 and 40-150 Pro, I'm liking them (a lot) and my bias had started to shift towards Olympus prior to last weeks announcement. Post announcement, of course my Olympus badged products are still working, and having written off their cost at purchase, I'm not too concerned with resale values either. I see no urgency to bail out. To me, the big hit is in my confidence of Olympus products going forwards, in terms of availability, quality and support. This updated lens roadmap increases that confidence slightly, suggesting that Olympus, or at least the product behind the badge, isn't yet dead. There's still a pulse, and that promotes hope for the continuation and growth of both the product family currently known as Olympus, and the MFT format as a whole.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Good news that there are new products on the way.
1. Any wooden models to look at that may be different to the final article.
2. Are these Olympus promises?
3. Size?
4. Price?
5. Quality upon use and review?
6. The waiting.....

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
8-25 sounds interesting if it's cheap enough, 7-14 is way too expensive for me. Wonder if it will lack the focus clutch like the 12-45 (probably).

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
8-25 sounds interesting if it's cheap enough, 7-14 is way too expensive for me. Wonder if it will lack the focus clutch like the 12-45 (probably).
It's funny, but back a few years ago (maybe even currently), Tokina lenses for Canon mount (and others) were roundly criticized by reviewers because they used a clutch mechanism to go from auto to manual. It was generally considered an old-fashioned anachronism. The big criticism is that if you use the technique of first using auto-focus to get in the ball-park, then switching to manual to fine-tune, you had to touch the lens A LOT to pull that clutch mechanism back and forth, causing you to lose your focus. A small switch is much easier and less disruptive.

Now I see m43 reviewers generally complaining when any new lens doesn't have the clutch. Phew, hard to please everyone! I was never crazy about the clutch on my Tokina ultra-wide, but these lenses generally are much larger than m43 lenses, so maybe moving the clutch mechanism is more disruptive.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I've never been one for brand loyalty. I make purchasing decisions based on practical factors such as performance, features, quality and value for money, and so far in MFT that has kept me closer to Camp Panasonic. That said, after picking up my EM1.2 and 40-150 Pro, I'm liking them (a lot) and my bias had started to shift towards Olympus prior to last weeks announcement.
I though I was biased towards Olympus too but I just counted the number of my lenses today and it turned out I love them both equally (5 a piece). But I do admit I love the Olympus manual clutches and fn-button and most importantly, the direction of the zooms more.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I though I was biased towards Olympus too but I just counted the number of my lenses today and it turned out I love them both equally (5 a piece). But I do admit I love the Olympus manual clutches and fn-button and most importantly, the direction of the zooms more.
I was looking at my lens collection earlier and realised I’m no longer the prime shooter I thought I was.

I see the zoom direction issue mentioned often but I hardly ever notice it.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I was looking at my lens collection earlier and realised I’m no longer the prime shooter I thought I was.

The Olympus direction seems to be hardwired into my spine. I always turn the right way but with Pana lenses I get it wrong. Every. Single. Time. :p

getoutandshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still wonder how much faith we can place on the lens road map at this juncture, given that the whole thing will soon be "under new management" with a mandate to make the company profitable within a short timeframe. If you look at the map, the clear overall Olympus strategy for quite a while has been the development and expansion of the premium, expensive "Pro" lenses. Indeed most of the future lenses presently on the map are in that category. I'm guessing that whole strategy might get drastically curtailed when the new company takes things over. So I sure hope both the 8-25mm f/4 and the new longer macro become "real."

Dave

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I still wonder how much faith we can place on the lens road map at this juncture, given that the whole thing will soon be "under new management" with a mandate to make the company profitable within a short timeframe. If you look at the map, the clear overall Olympus strategy for quite a while has been the development and expansion of the premium, expensive "Pro" lenses. Indeed most of the future lenses presently on the map are in that category. I'm guessing that whole strategy might get drastically curtailed when the new company takes things over. So I sure hope both the 8-25mm f/4 and the new longer macro become "real."

Dave
I imagine they’ve spent most of the R&D $$$ already. So it would make sense to cash in by actually making and selling the lenses.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think it really depends on how you use your zoom.

If you use the zoom for fast action, like sports and kids, it could make a difference.
Example, when I shoot field sports, I do not think turn the zoom ring to the right or left. In fact, I don't even think zoom in or out. My hand just turns the zoom ring in the direction to get the image I want.
Normally for sports I shoot a Nikon D7200. One day I borrowed a Sigma 17-50/2.8 on a Canon to shoot volleyball. The zoom ring on the Sigma turned in the opposite direction than my Nikon zooms. I kept turning the zoom ring the WRONG WAY and kept loosing shots. After 15 minutes of this, I gave up in frustration, and switched back to my Nikon and 35/1.8 prime. My zoom hand works on muscle memory, and the Sigma went the wrong way.

Now you guys are going to say, that the Olympus zooms turn in the opposite direction from the Nikon zoom.
Yes, that is true. But because of the extra drag on the Olympus zoom, I reverse my hand so I grip the lens with my thumb back, rather than thumb forward. This lets me grip the zoom ring tighter and turn the zoom ring. That reversed grip seems to let me zoom the Olympus lens without the confusion I had when I used the Sigma.
But that is also why I rarely carry both Nikon and Olympus at the same time. Too confusing when I have to move fast.

Having said that, I prefer the thumb forward grip, for the fast instinctive aiming when I have to switch subjects, like from the quarterback throwing the ball to the receiver catching it.
I can't do that with the Olympus and the thumb back grip.

I imagine they’ve spent most of the R&D $$$ already. So it would make sense to cash in by actually making and selling the lenses.
Problem is there is no 'cash in' in the situation you describe. It would be pointless to try to make quick money that way unless you have a warehouse full of already build lenses. But if that was the case Olympus would already launched it to the market.

It takes years and years of infestment in lens selling to make a design profitable.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Problem is there is no 'cash in' in the situation you describe. It would be pointless to try to make quick money that way unless you have a warehouse full of already build lenses. But if that was the case Olympus would already launched it to the market.

It takes years and years of infestment in lens selling to make a design profitable.
Whilst some of the lenses on the roadmap have been slow to arrive (I’m looking at you 150-400mm IS PRO!), others were released much more quickly.

For example, the 12-45mm PRO was named in late November 2019 and released in early April 2020, just 4 and a bit months later despite the Christmas/New Year period.

If the 10-25mm PRO follows the timetable of its f/4 sibling, it could easily be here late October, or even sooner.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it really depends on how you use your zoom.

If you use the zoom for fast action, like sports and kids, it could make a difference.
Example, when I shoot field sports, I do not think turn the zoom ring to the right or left. In fact, I don't even think zoom in or out. My hand just turns the zoom ring in the direction to get the image I want.
Maybe, I don't do much sport or kids, but I do nature, and that can move fast too (though I'm not saying I can always keep up). As a hobbyist though, I can set my own pace.

Maybe it has something to do with the way people's minds work too. After almost a decade of owning Olympus, Panasonic and Canon zooms simultaneously, I honestly couldn't tell you in which direction any of them zoom without checking first. I haven't needed to register this to memory, because within a split second of raising a camera to my eye, I'll know. I'll spend a short time adjusting to a camera at the start of a session, and I'm good to go, with the basic controls at least.

As I said earlier in this thread, I've never been brand loyal. That means I've spent a lifetime spread across multiple brands, formats and interfaces. I'm good at working buttons and switches but I'm terrible with numbers. We all work differently.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In the film days it drove me nuts using third party lenses with focusing rings that moved in the opposite direction of the OEM lenses.

Luckily there's only two ways to turn a ring :roflmao:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe, I don't do much sport or kids, but I do nature, and that can move fast too (though I'm not saying I can always keep up). As a hobbyist though, I can set my own pace.

Maybe it has something to do with the way people's minds work too. After almost a decade of owning Olympus, Panasonic and Canon zooms simultaneously, I honestly couldn't tell you in which direction any of them zoom without checking first. I haven't needed to register this to memory, because within a split second of raising a camera to my eye, I'll know. I'll spend a short time adjusting to a camera at the start of a session, and I'm good to go, with the basic controls at least.

As I said earlier in this thread, I've never been brand loyal. That means I've spent a lifetime spread across multiple brands, formats and interfaces. I'm good at working buttons and switches but I'm terrible with numbers. We all work differently.
That muscle memory for me is only for FAST sports, where a second counts and I don't have a 2nd chance.
When I travel my GP lens is a Panasonic 12-60, and I don't have a problem with it.
If I turn the zoom the wrong way, I just reverse direction, nothing lost.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now I see m43 reviewers generally complaining when any new lens doesn't have the clutch.
It means I don't have to assign a button to switch between AF and MF, but more importantly all the lenses with clutches have distance scales. Unless I've missed something, my E-M10 has no distance readout so pre-focusing in MF mode is only possible for me with the 12/2, the only lens I own with the clutch.

It's not a deal breaker, but prior to the 12-45 all Oly Pro lenses had the clutch. The 12/2 and 17/1.8 have one, but are the only non-Pro lenses that do...why doesn't the otherwise similar 75/1.8 have one? I actually find the lack of a standard across the lens lineup more annoying than not having a clutch at all.

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
Too bad they forgot the 100-400mm lens I might be able to afford. No way in **** I can buy that 150-400mm one. Still hoping the cheaper one is on the market before the year ends though.
We will see the 100-400 non-pro very soon, i think some rumors in the next weeks and a final presentation at end of July. Shipping in august or september.
The new ultra wide angle lens is also welcome, hopefully we will see it this year shipping.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I don’t think my cameras will stop working the day after the sale closes, so why even think about spending a lot of money to switch now? The decision to switch systems - always expensive - should be made the same way it always has been: what photographic problem will switching solve, and how much will it cost me?

I periodically review the other options available now, and I always come to the same conclusion: it would cost a lot of money to get a much heavier kit with little or no improvement in my output.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom