Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I am a bit worried 8-25mm will rely too much of software correction at wide angle for the sake of the bigger zoom range. I just need UWA, right? Maybe something like a 10mm F1.4 is what I really need, but 8-25mm would be versatile and allow me to leave the 12-100mm at home more.
Maybe what you really need is a PL8-18, if you are worried that the "8-25mm will rely too much of software correction at wide angle for the sake of the bigger zoom range." Especially if you "just need UWA." Right? :)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
There are half a dozen lenses available to buy within the range of between 7-25mm. Read the reviews. I have a P7-14, and would like the Laowa 7.5mm, but am veering away from manual focus lenses as I am lazy and can. The PL 10-25 is not wide enough? Dont worry about a lens that may only exist on an Olympus road map. There is a 100mm macro that people have been waiting 10 years for.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
I waited this long, I think I might as well wait a little longer and see what the 8-25mm offers. I'd rather think long term for lenses and make the right decision, once. As I said before, all I need now is ultra-wide and macro. And I can be patient because I know 8-25mm and 100mm macro were only added to the roadmap recently, not 10 years ago.

With the pandemic and lockdown and bitterly cold weather right now in Toronto, there's not really a whole lot of photo opportunities nowadays. I also suddenly had a seizure a few weeks ago, so I am no longer allowed to drive anywhere, and the epilepsy medication that I started taking last week is making me sleepy even as I am typing this, so I probably have to wait no matter what.

I wonder if 8-25mm is really that much more ambitious optically than 8-18mm if sacrificing one stop at wide angle. Maybe I would prefer the versatility of having ultra-wide to normal in one lens. 8-25mm could be more the affordable option too, if the 12-45mm is any indication. 8-18mm is only $110 CAD less than Olympus 7-14mm right now.

I probably would still be happy with 11-22mm today if I had gone the 4/3 route. But I have mirrorless body and the 12-100mm now, so maybe I want a native lens that takes advantage of shorter flange distance and expands the wide angle capability a bit more for the money.

The 8mm fisheye is something I've considered too, might be fun to experiment with, but maybe I should prioritize rectilinear first for urban and architecture type of stuff.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
That's a bugger about the seizure, @doady !

I take 0.25 mg of Clonazepam in the evening, but not for epilepsy. It is to help me to get to sleep, stay asleep and go back to sleep when I wake during the night. I am dependent on it, but not addicted. If I don't take it, I just have lousy sleep (tested this for about 4 months - it didn't work!). Taking the up to 8 mgs/day that an adult epileptic takes would put me in LaLa land. Some reckon that I'm already there ... The lack of sleep was apparently a major contributor to chronic depression. I've taken this dose of Clonazepam for over 20 years now.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep and chronic depression, John. I realize I've been lucky in terms of health, so I really shouldn't complain too much. Sleepiness is not the worst thing in the world. The medication they put me on is called Levertiracetam. Maybe it also made me more irritable than I should be, I didn't mean to bring any dark cloud into what should be a positive thread. Sorry about that. The gearhead side of me is excited about these potential new lenses, and I hope others are feeling optimistic too. Ultra-wide and macro are my passions so I am really looking forward to seeing what these 8-25mm and 100mm offer before I make my final decisions.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Thanks, @doady. Hope you are stable and controlled well soon.

I have the FTs f/4 7-14 and FTs 11-22. Both lovely lenses, specially the 7-14.

However, since my walk-around zooms now have 12mm as the starting point, I only very rarely use either. I just seem to be more creative with short to medium telephotos for some unknown reason. Just love my FTs 14-54 MkII and 12-100.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for your thoughts too, John.

You also remind me of my lust for 11-22mm back in the day, lol. It could have been my main walk around lens in the city. An 8-25mm could be even better, even if it is darker.

I find I am most creative with wider angles. Even now with IS and constant aperture of 12-100mm, I still rarely use telephoto. Maybe I just need to think outside the box more. I still feel like I haven't used the lens to its full capability. Maybe it was that same feeling that made me stick with the C-7070 for so long. I probably shouldn't think too much about new equipment right now until I figure out E-M1 II and 12-100 also.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
@doady I'm a walking medical disaster area, mate. Lucky to be alive, really. I have finally given in to painkillers, and take 2x Panadeine Forte 3x a day. They make life reasonably bearable, and allow me to do some things - instead of next to nothing! Bending is always my Nemesis. All the facet joints and a couple of discs in my lumbar spine are fairly buggered. Osteoarthritis and osteoporosis ...

Still, I've bought a wrist step counter, and am trying to get my step count up. Currently averaging around 4,000 steps/day. Aim to get up to 10,000. My various heart problems make any sort of vigorous exercise out of the question.

My older brother has an acoustic neuroma, followed by a sub-dural haematoma, so has spent a year in total without being able to drive. It's hard to take ...

Anyway, back to photography. Try using the long end of your beautiful 12-100 to pick out details, either close or distant.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
What makes me stick around is all that great second hand Olympus gear! Recently sold my E-M5.2 and got a very tidy E-M1.2 for same price some people are trying to sell their E-M5's for! I've got my 12-40 and 40-150 Pro so I'm OK for lenses for a long time still.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Actually, I don't know what a "sliding lenshood" is. Perhaps this is because the lenshood I have for the O60 is a JJC knockoff. Is the official lenshood some kind of sliding device?
Yes the Official Olympus lenshood for the O60mm macro lens does slide. Perfectly as so many Amazon reviews state. JJC hood £14. Olympus hood £44. Shame on manufacturers who do not supply such basic items with the lenses.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Does the new O100mm macro lens come with its own lens hood? Or shall I start saving now. The JJC one will be stiff and reflective, possibly.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
@doady I'm a walking medical disaster area, mate. Lucky to be alive, really. I have finally given in to painkillers, and take 2x Panadeine Forte 3x a day. They make life reasonably bearable, and allow me to do some things - instead of next to nothing! Bending is always my Nemesis. All the facet joints and a couple of discs in my lumbar spine are fairly buggered. Osteoarthritis and osteoporosis ...

Still, I've bought a wrist step counter, and am trying to get my step count up. Currently averaging around 4,000 steps/day. Aim to get up to 10,000. My various heart problems make any sort of vigorous exercise out of the question.

My older brother has an acoustic neuroma, followed by a sub-dural haematoma, so has spent a year in total without being able to drive. It's hard to take ...

Anyway, back to photography. Try using the long end of your beautiful 12-100 to pick out details, either close or distant.
Sorry to hear all that, John. As I said I know I've been lucky and I hope things will get better for all of us. It makes me think I need to better advantage of opportunities, even in the present.

I have been experimenting a lot with snow, ice and shadows on a river in the local park at 100mm. Maybe I will start processing and posting those pictures soon.

Btw, even if I'm not a telephoto user, that OMD UK Q&A and all the talk about the high demand for 150-400 makes me think about all those other telephoto zooms on roadmap as well, and of course there's also that telephoto macro. Maybe in the end I won't be able to resist getting a telephoto zoom for myself also. That 50-230mm (F4? F4.5?) in particular would complement my 12-100mm nicely. The roadmap seems to suggest that Olympus already felt that telephoto would cement their place on the market and that they can still do a lot more to build upon this aspect of their system. The old 4/3 system for example had a 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 and Olympus still doesn't really have a successor to that in m4/3.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yes the Official Olympus lenshood for the O60mm macro lens does slide. Perfectly as so many Amazon reviews state. JJC hood £14. Olympus hood £44. Shame on manufacturers who do not supply such basic items with the lenses.
Just figured I'd finish my report about putting wax on the JJC hood. It did help but I worried about the little particles of wax that would occasionally appear here and there, so I ran the hood under some water, washed it thoroughly, and let it dry overnight. The next day, it still slid more easily than when I started. Repeatedly sliding it up and down (not mounted on anything, but just using my nasty little hands) worked it into pretty good working order. I was tempted to spring for the $44 Olympus hood, but I guess I'll use the JJC for now, since it isn't too bad now. :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use the JJC hoods because I consider hoods to be expendable bumpers.
If I turn and the lens hits a wall (has happened), the hood takes the impact; and hopefully breaks, instead of the lens.
So cheaper is better, as long as it does the job adequately, and it functions.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
I take 0.25 mg of Clonazepam in the evening, but not for epilepsy. It is to help me to get to sleep, stay asleep and go back to sleep when I wake during the night. I am dependent on it, but not addicted. If I don't take it, I just have lousy sleep (tested this for about 4 months - it didn't work!). Taking the up to 8 mgs/day that an adult epileptic takes would put me in LaLa land. Some reckon that I'm already there ... The lack of sleep was apparently a major contributor to chronic depression. I've taken this dose of Clonazepam for over 20 years now.
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I did work in mental health services for 30 years. I also have a chronic low-grade depressive disorder and have personal experience with a lot of antidepressant medications - not all of it good.
However - one of my mainstays is Trazadone for sleep - it is an antidepressant I tried decades ago but could not tolerate because it is so soporific - I'd be nodding off in my coffee. So I found another more effective antidepressant for my daily use. But the trazadone at a very low dose - 50-100mg at night - beautiful sleep, and no hangover effect, no addiction danger.
Works for me. :cloud-9-039:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
This is ridiculous.
Why do you think a medical condition is of interest to those of us who visit this site for m43-centric information?

You can easily share info privately or create a thread in the Open Discussions. Or use Facebook.

Off topic posts ruin these forums for all of us.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
@PhotoCal I'm sticking with Olympus because of my various medical conditions ...

Quite some few here are the same.

I have great difficulty holding a heavy camera and lens due to those medical conditions. They are not irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

You are fortunate if none of these things apply to you. However, they probably will in the future ...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom