Updated Olympus lens road map - 8-25mm f4, finally a pro macro, ... does it make you want to stick with Olympus?

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-wi...new-8-25mm-f-4-pro-lens-added-to-the-roadmap/

After the major downer announcement about Olympus imaging being sold and likely downsized, this announcement was really a pleasant surprise. I can't help but wonder if these are sort of the "last gasp" products from the original imaging group, and after this everything will change... I'm sure everyone has already seen this and has been talking about it, but I didn't see any threads about the new wide angle zoom, so I thought I'd start a thread to see how others reacted.

A longer macro and a another more compact wide angle lens for landscapes (that takes filters) are 2 Olympus lenses I have wanted to see for years, and I don't think I'm the only one... So this will affect my decision of whether and how fast to "slow down" or someday abandon Olympus. The 8-25mm f/4 especially is going to be hard for me to resist. I was VERY tempted to get the Panasonic 10-25 f/1.7, but it was so expensive that I held off, even after it went on sale for a little while recently. Now that this smaller Olympus option is on the horizon, I will wait for it. The Panasonic lens would be better for nightscapes, but the Olympus will be much smaller and more affordable... I could see myself just leaving the 8-25mm on my camera for long periods as a general purpose lens for hikes/landscape use. And if the new macro is also a smaller f/4 lens (or f/2.8), I might just stick with Olympus for quite a while, regardless of what happens...

Glad to hear confirmation that the super expensive 150-400 is still going to happen... I don't care that it has been delayed yet again, because I really doubt I will get it. I'll more likely stick with my 300 pro +1.4X teleconverter. The "bird detect" mode for AF is was also great to see, although I don't think I will ever own the E-M1X, so I will have to wait and hope for it to trickle down to a smaller body. Personally, I doubt the "bird detect" will work perfectly in the first iteration anyway, but it was a great to see it announced.

Dave

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
I'm committed to sticking with Olympus as long as the equipment works and I can get service if needed (which they hardly have). But, if the new lenses they announced actually materialize, it'd be even more reason to persist. I will persist! :)

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I don't plan to leave Olympus, even with the sale to JIP.

The 8-25/4 IS an attractive lens, primarily because I can put a polarizing filter on it, if I want to.
So I will likely get that lens.

The 100mm maco just seems too long "for me."
But since I rarely shoot macro, my old 55mm Micro Nikkor is "good enough" for me.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Ive always wanted to stick with Olympus and that 100mm macro lens looks like something I could use.

But the announcement does not make me feel any more confident yet, but a little more hopeful

Jeroen81

Mu-43 Regular
After the news last week I dived into other systems. Asked a camera shop what I would get (that was a nice offering) and how much I needed to invest to get a body with 2 lenses to replace a body with 5 lenses. I needed 1500-2000 euro to switch and accept that I didn't have replacements for most of my lenses. Most mirrorless systems don't even have replacements for a few of my lenses.

Also played with other brands in store, it didn't ignite a spark. After a day or two for me it was pritty clear that MFT was all I need at a reasonable price.

So before this updated lens roadmap I already decided to stick to MFT.
Plan A) stick with Olympus MFT. B) 'switch' to a Panasonic body and trough time some Panasonic lenses. C) sell and go for Fuji.

But I'm pleased with this updated lens roadmap. Looking forward to the 100-400. The 8-25 is a nice bonus, and if prices attractive it's going to be my first wide zoom.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
What has the Zuiko 8-25mm got to do with sticking with Olympus? Many Panasonic camera owners, including me, would want to have a closer look at this new lens. I suspect that even their new 150-400mm would be of interest to some Panasonic owners, especially GH5 and G9 users.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was only ever planning to buy two more things by Olympus: an ultra-wide lens, and a macro lens. So the recent announcements only reinforce my plans. I've been actually hoping for a 10mm F1.4 Pro, and there are still bright Pro primes on the future road map, but a 8-25mm F4 might be interesting too.

I bought E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 IS on Boxing Day. If they release a 10mm F1.4 Pro and a 100mm F2.8 IS Pro Macro, I will have all I need in terms of bodies or lenses.

I have bought 3 cameras in my life: C-5060WZ in 2004, C-7070WZ in 2005, then E-M1 II on Boxing Day. I used C-7070WZ for 15 years and it still works. Is an E-M1 II likely to fail before a C-7070WZ? Think about that. My E-M1 II probably will outlive me. So I am not going to worry about any new bodies.

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
What has the Zuiko 8-25mm got to do with sticking with Olympus? Many Panasonic camera owners, including me, would want to have a closer look at this new lens. I suspect that even their new 150-400mm would be of interest to some Panasonic owners, especially GH5 and G9 users.

Well, it's just that the 8-25mm f/4 is lens that I might have liked to see 3 or 4 years ago, and the new macro too. I guess "better late than never" that these 2 lenses that many of us have hoped would appear for so long are finally announced now, at a time when everyone is a little uncertain about the future of the Olympus camera brand (and I think the future of micro-4/3 in general).

But you make a good point. It's not so much a question of whether to stick with Olympus, but whether to stick with micro-4/3. And so long as Panasonic stays seriously committed to the mu-43 format, including for still imaging not just video, I could easily see myself someday just moving over to Panasonic for my next mu-43 body, regardless of what happens to Olympus in the next year or two.

Dave

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sharp is joining m43 very soon. I don't think that they would have considered that idea unless they can see potentials.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I was VERY tempted to get the Panasonic 10-25 f/1.7, but it was so expensive that I held off, even after it went on sale for a little while recently. Now that this smaller Olympus option is on the horizon, I will wait for it. The Panasonic lens would be better for nightscapes, but the Olympus will be much smaller and more affordable...
Have you considered the PL8-18? That's what I have. I consider that a much more desirable ULTRA-wide than the PL10-25. But perhaps you want the top of the range, I guess. It does sound like the 8-25 would be great for doing it all. I'm not sure why you think it will be cheap. It's a Pro after all.

AndyCr

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy Cripps
But you make a good point. It's not so much a question of whether to stick with Olympus, but whether to stick with micro-4/3. And so long as Panasonic stays seriously committed to the mu-43 format, including for still imaging not just video, I could easily see myself someday just moving over to Panasonic for my next mu-43 body, regardless of what happens to Olympus in the next year or two.

Dave
Agreed, it's whether to stick with the format. I originally just had Olympus, but picked up a G9 when it was on special, and fell in love immediately. That camera just feels right for me.

AndyCr

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy Cripps
Have you considered the PL8-18? That's what I have. I consider that a much more desirable ULTRA-wide than the PL10-25. But perhaps you want the top of the range, I guess. It does sound like the 8-25 would be great for doing it all. I'm not sure why you think it will be cheap. It's a Pro after all.
If this new 8-25 was available a couple of years ago it would have been a winner, but like you I went with the 8-18. This may be too late to the party.

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave

You know, you're right. I'm sure the PL 8-18mm would be a very nice alternative. I had forgotten about that. Actually I remember I was really excited about it before it came out, but then I remember being a little let down when I read test reports indicating a drop in sharpness in the corners. But really, I say again, I'm sure it's a great lens in actual use. I would have just gone ahead and gotten one, but it was pretty expensive and I had other priorities I guess. Also I already have the Olympus pro 12-40, and I like having a zoom that goes from wide out to normal ~25mm. I love wide, but I have been surprised how often, when I'm out trying to compose landscapes, I actually end up wanting a tighter/normal lens perspective. So I've just kept using my 12-40mm, and always sort of wanted something that gets to ~10mm (or wider -- but I wouldn't often use much wider than ~18 or 20mm equivalent because any wider and I often find the distortion distracting/unnatural). The Panasonic 10-25 really appealed to me not just for landscape but also nightscapes, because it performs very well wide open, and also it would serve as a normal lens for portraits to give more subject isolation when used at 25mm wide open... I think I also read it has minimal focus breathing, so stacking landscape images to increase depth of field is easier. Yes, it is huge but I still thought, hey, it could be my "everything" lens and I'd almost never need to change lenses (not having to change lenses is nice on a hike). But it was just so damn expensive. Finally, I didn't say the 8-25mm will be "cheap," I said "more affordable" (than the Panasonic 10-25mm). My guess is it will come in at ~$900 or $1K at the time of launch. And I think I would like the 8-25mm more than the PL 8-18 just due to the fact that it goes out to a normal focal length and as I said, I like the idea of a single lens covering all the focal lengths I normally need/use for landscapes.

Dave

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Legend

And that $$$ cost, is what I am waiting to see.
Unfortunately, based on what is happening with Olympus, I probably won't be able to wait for an Olympus 20% outlet sale on that lens.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If this new 8-25 was available a couple of years ago it would have been a winner, but like you I went with the 8-18. This may be too late to the party.
To some degree I think you are right.
Like they will be late to the 100-400 party as well, but there were Olympus users like me waiting for the Oly version so they may do alright with the 100-400.

I thought about the 8-18 but in reality it was too short a lens for me. 8-25 is far better for me, but then the 12-40 2.8 seems to do me fine. I don't need wider than 12 very often. Then I use the body cap lens.

Perhaps if did did more landscape. Anyway hope it sells ok

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I was never planning on leaving Olympus, at least not until my gear doesn’t work anymore. I have had three lenses left on my wish list for a while now: the long-awaited 150-400mm Pro, a Pro macro lens with a longer focal length than the 60mm, and a Pro f/1.2 wide angle prime (somewhere around 10-12mm, if Olympus comes out with one). I still have hope that I will get all three. The only lens that I’m now nervous about is the 150-400, because I want to make sure that I’ll be able to use this lens for a long time before pulling the trigger on something that is so expensive.

While I think the 8-25 f/4 is going to be useful and relatively compact option for landscapes, travel and such, and it will work really nicely on smaller bodies such as the E-M5 Mkiii, I highly doubt I will get it. I use the larger bodies, and I already have Pro zooms that cover the focal range at f/2.8. Most of my ultra-wide-angle shooting is indoors, so that faster aperture is important. I don’t do a lot of ultra-wide angle landscapes, preferring to use more standard focal lengths and shoot panos.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Too bad they forgot the 100-400mm lens I might be able to afford. No way in **** I can buy that 150-400mm one. Still hoping the cheaper one is on the market before the year ends though.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Too bad they forgot the 100-400mm lens I might be able to afford. No way in **** I can buy that 150-400mm one. Still hoping the cheaper one is on the market before the year ends though.
I find it odd that the 150-400 is being promoted more than the 100-400. I suppose they may have had them in production for sale after the Olympics as a show piece

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I think they just felt like they needed to mention the 150-400. The 100-400 has been mentioned more recently, and there was probably nothing more to say about it right now.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Olympus is doing its best not to make zoom lenses that have an identical focal length as the Panasonic. So the 100-400mm won't be a priority.

Latest threads

Top Bottom