UPDATED! Anyone here from Scotland (with pics!)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by qball, Jul 24, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Will be traveling to Scotland in 3 weeks. Looking for some suggested places to visit during 4 days I have free in my itnerary.

Will be first fly fishing on the "Dee" for salmon for 4 days...then 4 days free... then 4 days in Edinburgh for the Fringe....

Looking for a 4-day suggested trip from and back to Edinburgh for the 4-days in between.

Thanks,

Q

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Well what sort of thing do you like (other than obviously photography and fishing)? Also depends if you'll have a car or be relying on trains etc. One suggestion could be to take in a few of the islands?

3. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    We will have a car.

I am traveling with my buddy. The wife and kid are staying home...

We'd like to do a 4-day round trip tour Edinburgh to Edinburgh and see anything along the lines of...

1. Scenic places for photograph
    2. A Scotch Whiskey Distillery
    3. Maybe some place with good food
    4. Historic places
    5. Wildlife
    6. Something unique and fun
    7. Something off the beaten path

We're not really into hiking to do stuff... more stuff we can just venture to see, photograph, visit, or eat.

Thanks,

Karl

4. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Oban or Fort William might be worth a visit. I always suggest these two places since they are favourites of mine.

5. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Looking at you four day wish list I would suggest that the highlands and islands are your best bet. I'd particularly recommend going up through the Drummochter Pass and turning left at the Dalwhinnie Whisky (Scottish spelling) Distillery then following the road to the Isle of Skye (about 6 hours drive from Edinburgh). This road takes your through some pretty dramatic scenery. Eilean Donan Castle, one of Scotland's most iconic castles, is on this road to Skye. Before you cross the Skye Bridge you can stop off at Plockton. Highland Cows aplenty, pretty fishing village (featured in the wonderful TV drama, Hamish Macbeth) and a tasty fish and chip shop called Grumpys. On Skye itself, I'd recommend a visit to Elgol. The views of the mountains from the rocky beach are breathtaking but most of Skye is breathtaking. The Three Chimneys Restaurant in Skye has a great reputation. Loads of mountains to climb, tracks to cycle, rivers to fish.

Cheers, Briar

6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Well you are going to get lots of different ideas from those of us who live in Scotland. I agree that heading west is probably the best bet. On the way, in addition to the ideas above, you could consider:

1. The Forth bridges - especially at sunset - easy to get to from Edinburgh (also lots to see in Edinburgh).
    2. Glencoe - very moody.
    3. Argyllshire coast (Falls of Lora at the right state of the tide, Loch Etive - take a boat trip, coastal Argyll for seascapes.
    4. Killiecrankie area (on the way north/south along the A9).
    5. Eilean Donan is iconic; try also the Glenfinnan Memorial.
    6. Skye is fine, but it is worth getting to one of the Islands by ferry - it is so much part of the west. Consider Mull from Oban as Tobermory is very pretty.

Four days - lots to do, so little time!

Andrew

7. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Briar and maczero offer good suggestions. I'll try offer some more for your list:

1. Depends on the scenery you like! If you head for the west coast, stunning beaches and coastlines a plenty. I'm sure a search on flickr would sort you out here, browse the map! Personally I love mountains, the cairngorms are favourites of mine

2. As above, it's not called scotch here - and it's spelt "whisky". ;-) When you head north and west there are distilleries everywhere - if you wanted to combine with an island (and scenery) I would suggest a trip to Islay and Jura.

3. Good food in scotland is about lamb, venison and sea food IMO. I could recommend some places in Edinburgh.

4. All over the place here, just pick some places on your route that take your fancy. A favourite of mine would be inchcholm abbey. It's on inchcolm island in the firth of forth, you get the ferry out from south queensferry. Maid of the Forth - Home

5. What sort of wildlife? Deer, red squirrels etc. can be seen in a lot of places. I've seen eagles over in dumfriesshire and further north. Seals and puffins etc. on the islands, basking sharks off the coast of arran etc.

6. Climb a munro - there are easy and hard ones, google for them, plenty of info out there! A munro's a mountain over 3000ft in Scotland, you can't climb one anywhere else in the world! I know you said not hiking.. but some are fairly gentle walks. And if it's not something you do a lot, it'll be a more special experience (weather dependant!)

7. Will have a think on this one, I'm mostly an outdoors kinda guy so most suggestions would be along those lines. Sounds cheesy, but the thing I love about Scotland the most is the land, the mountains and glens.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    EDIT: for 7, forsyths butcher in Peebles for a pie. Get there before lunch, they sell out. EPIC pies. Peebles is also a nice place for a day trip from edinburgh to escape the city. Perhaps pies before or after a short walk to see the Three Brethren:

[​IMG]

Walking Scotland - The Three Brethren

• Like Like x 2
  9. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Our fishing trip is on the Dee, ending in aberdeen.... and we'll be free to start our journey the morning of the 22nd.

So here is what I am thinking...

Start ---------------------------------------------------> Stop
    22nd - Aberdeen along the north coast and down to Inverness. Overnight in Inverness
    23rd/24th - Inverness to Isle of Skye - 2 nights on Isle of Skye
    25th - Isle of Skye to Oban - Overnight in Oban
    26th - Oban to Jura and back to Loch Lomond - Overnight in Loch Lomond
    27th - Loch Lomond to Edinburgh

How does that sound?

10. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    being from Edinburgh, I was going to offer lots of suggestions but you've had so many already, I wouldn't know how to improve on them. I think your planned itinerary for 4 days sounds pretty smart as you can't see everything and Jura, being off the beaten track somewhat, is a very nice ferry journey. I should be around in Edinburgh on 27th (planning a short holiday of my own probably the week before to the north west) so feel free to post nearer the time if you think you might need some help or advice when you're in Auld Reekie

David

11. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Enjoying my trip.

Currently south of Oban.

Made it to the Three Chimneys on the Isle of Skye... one of the most incredible meals I've ever eaten. Will post some photos when I have a chance.

I'm just an amateur hobby photographer with a new GF1 and some vintage lenses, but I'm happy with the performance of this little gem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    I was wondering how you were getting on in Scotland. So pleased that you have been enjoying your trip so far (despite the dreich weather) and that you have tried out a few of our suggestions. Look forward to reading more and seeing more of your trip. I also hope you are not being plagued by the dreaded midgies on the west coast, they can be mighty fierce if they take a fancy to you!