Updated: Any thoughts on the GX850

WT21

Super Moderator
I think it's more processor than sensor with the GM5. Sharpness is fantastic on the GM5, but colors are harder to get right in post. I guess in theory the GM5 has an AA sensor, but it's extremely weak. The GM5 did get DfD if I remember correctly as well, so better CDAF than previous cameras. I did enjoy my GM5 quite a bit, I ended up selling it when I got my GX85 because the IBIS and processing were nice enough that I didn't want to bring the GM5 out as much.
And when you look at GX85 used pricing, it gets hard to justify anything else!

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it's more processor than sensor with the GM5. Sharpness is fantastic on the GM5, but colors are harder to get right in post. I guess in theory the GM5 has an AA sensor, but it's extremely weak. The GM5 did get DfD if I remember correctly as well, so better CDAF than previous cameras. I did enjoy my GM5 quite a bit, I ended up selling it when I got my GX85 because the IBIS and processing were nice enough that I didn't want to bring the GM5 out as much.
Agree - I think they have the same sensor.

I use my G9 mostly; my GX85 has been demoted from 'most used' to 'backup' and my GM5 is for backpacking...

WT21

Super Moderator
Saw a GX850 on eBay w/12-32 lens, 10mm full AF macro ring, two genuine batteries and a case (that I'll never use -- as it's a white case) for $330. Figured it was worth trying out.

Just shooting around the house right now. I LOVE my G85, but it is fun to have a pocket camera again. I was thinking of selling the PL15 to fund it, but that is a fun lens on this camera.

So far, I haven't shot outside, so the max shutter speed before e-shutter hasn't impacted me.

Not a fan of micro SD! I prefer to shoot RAW-only, and RAW won't transfer over wifi, so I have to take out that tiny little card to download.

The selfie mode is great (automatically turns on face detect when you flip the screen up), so vacation photos with the 9-18 on the front will be a breeze.

Next up -- seeing if the GX850 + 9-18, G85+PL25 and the 42.5 (or maybe 45-150) will all fit in my small Domke bag or if I have to get a new bag for our upcoming European Vacation.

Dumb test photos

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I almost got the GX850 to replace the LX100. But comparing it to the GX85 for cost/performance ratio, the GX85 had more features I would use for video. Mainly the IBIS and EVF. And button layout was similar to the LX100.

WT21

Super Moderator
I almost got the GX850 to replace the LX100. But comparing it to the GX85 for cost/performance ratio, the GX85 had more features I would use for video. Mainly the IBIS and EVF. And button layout was similar to the LX100.
Can't argue against that. I have the GX850 for two reasons: 1) selfie screen and 2) smallest size possible. Those are the only two reasons.

I recently picked up a GM1 in excellent condition from Roberts Used Camera (w/ 6 month warranty) from ebay for a great price. Thankfully, it uses an SD card. With a 12-32mm lens, it is the size of a P&S. If you can find one, the GM1 is a good option.

Next up -- seeing if the GX850 + 9-18, G85+PL25 and the 42.5 (or maybe 45-150) will all fit in my small Domke bag or if I have to get a new bag for our upcoming European Vacation.
Check out the Camslinger Streetomatic. I can fit a GM1, P 12-32mm, P 35-100 f4 (or 45-175mm), P 20mm f1.7 (pancake), and the O 9-18mm into it. The Camslinger fits around the waist and leaves both hands free (great when you are on vacation).

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I found a new one (with 12-32) at I price I couldn't resist.

It's replacing my RX100, I loved size and perfect pocketability of that camera but wasn't happy in low light. In good light I think the 12-32 will be equally good, while in low light I expect this one plus one of my f1.8 primes to perform better.

The GAS side of my brain is evaluating to buy back a P20 (I loved it, but slow focus in low light made me swap it for Oly17) and/or to look for a PL15.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom