1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Updated: Any thoughts on the GX850

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Nov 23, 2018.

1. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    edit: I ended up getting a GX850 Updated: Any thoughts on the GX850

I'm trying to find a "pocket camera" in m43.

I've been looking at all the models, and I'm wondering if there are any GX850 users (the smallest GX) and what do you think for stills (I would not use this for video). I have my G80 for other needs -- video, larger lenses, etc.

I want something smaller/lighter than my previous GX85. I am OK/understand there is no IBIS and no VF.

Here are some specific questions:

1) Do you find the mechanical shutter limit of 1/500 second an issue?
    2) Does the battery drain when the camera sits on the shelf? My GX85 did this, which drove me nuts (my G85 does not do this).
    3) How's the battery life? Based on the CIPA measures, I'm assuming poorer than my former GX85, which was not great. Does the battery charge in-camera? Do you find you have to carry a spare?
    4) I only see myself adjusting EV for the use case on this camera (not ss or ap). Is that a fiddly operation? I think that's going to be the case on all the sub-compacts anyway.
    5) No low-pass filter, so it looks like it will be as nice output as the G85/GX85?

Anything else, especially compared to the GX85?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. 1. 1/500s is not an issue for me. More annoying is for manual lenses like the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye it forces electronic shutter at all times, which can be problematic with AC light banding. Also the flash sync of 1/50s is pretty pathetic, your subjects have to stay reasonably still otherwise you end up with blur.

2. I don't feel like the battery drains much by itself, but then I run multiple batteries so it's not a big deal...

3. The battery life sucks compared to bigger bodies. It's fine for a party but not a full day shooting. The battery charges in camera, and the camera does not come with a charger. You will almost certainly want a spare. I recommend the Wasabi 2 battery + charger combo, which will charge the OEM battery too.

4. Yes, unfortunately the wheel is programmed to change the active setting (aperture, shutter, programme shift) when idle. You have to press up on the D-pad wheel to activate exposure compensation mode, then rotate the wheel to adjust. It's not that fiddly once you're used to it, but an annoying new 'feature' is that pressing up again in exposure compensation mode activates exposure bracket instead! I wish I could turn this off, I've accidentally done this a number of times.

5. I can't compare except with the GM1, GM5 and GF7 before it. I do think the lack of AA filter has improved on those a smidgen, and DFD is good - S-AF is faster than my E-M1.

The pop-up flash can be tilted up but not into a full bounce position. Given the poor flash sync speed and low power it's not a huge loss I guess... also be aware that it cannot really be used as a flash commander for more powerful slaves - you can set up an manual optical slave but you're limited to 1/50s sync...

I use my GX850 for the same - a pocket camera, and it works well it that regard. Just be aware that it's not really that generally pocketable except with pancake lenses (or large jacket pockets).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Amazon warehouse had one at $365 w/12-32 which I think is a solid price, so it arrives Wednesday. Hoping this will be a good pocket cam. Probably use the 12-32, PL15 and maybe the O9-18. I’ll report back my findings ;) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  4. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    At £229 with the 12-32 at Currys/PC World, I was tempted. Having previously used one for a days Street Photography course, with the PL15mm lens. It was perfect. Only afterwards did I find out it did not have IBIS. A very good camera.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    I had the same desire as the OP, and decided on the GM5 over the 850 - it's all about ease of use; LCD vs. EVF etc. as far as I can tell.

You will need to do exposure bracketing for landscapes, which is my use (backpacking).

6. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I did consider the GM5, but I am not sure on the sensor, and having fallen in love with the GX85/G85 AA-less 16MP sensor, I went with the silicon I know :)  I just think the per pixel sharpness of this sensor is the best I've seen on 16MP.

7. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I bought my daughter one of these.

Biggest limitation is the lack of Ibis. Keep an eye on your shutter speed.

The PL15 really benefits the camera as it provides immediate aperture access and leaves the control wheel for other uses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    It's a nice little camera but I wouldn't recommend it as a main camera for anyone seriously interested in shooting. It is pretty darn good as a second camera though. The biggest con is the lack of IBIS - otherwise it would be pretty amazing. If you understand the limits of the camera and can live with them, then it's great.

9. Since I typically use my GX850 for taking pictures of people, I haven't really missed not having IBIS compared to my E-M1, except when using the 45mm f/1.8.

10. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, I got my GX850 today, and it's likely going right back to Amazon Warehouse :( 

Main issues:
    1) I really don't like the tiny microSD card
    2) The controls are way off what I want. The immediate issue is on my G85, the shutter button is surrounded by the front wheel, so I use that wheel to adjust settings, flip through pics, adjust magnification, etc. On the GX850 the shutter is surround by the power switch. So, when I think about adjusting a setting, I shut the camera off instead :/

I guess I'll sleep on it, but I'm doubtful.

11. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Is there a way to connect the GX850 directly to a Mac (not a mobile device) to download pictures? I've been futzing around with the wifi, but can't figure it out.

12. Palmor

Palmor Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Micro USB from the camera to USB on the Mac. If your using a Macbook with only USB-C you’ll need an adapter.

13. Unfortunate that it does not suit you. It can be difficult to find the perfect camera with such strict requirements.

I use a USB 3.1 reader with both micro and full SD slots so that is pretty irrelevant to me.

As for the controls - you may get used to it, maybe not. The E-PL7/8/9 does have a dial around the shutter as well as IBIS, but you'd be approaching the GX85 in size and leaving Panasonic...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I tried that and it said "charging only" - this is 2015 MBP, so not USB-C. hmmm...

15. When plugged into my Windows 10 PC, after switching the camera on, the computer takes a few seconds to detect it, and then when it is recognised the camera goes into file transfer mode.

16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Can you delete pictures from the camera via USB in W10? Because in Win7 you can't - which is incredibly stupid IMO.

17. I doubt it... it will be some dumb restriction of the USB profile Panasonic chose to use I imagine. In any case, a proper USB 3.1 card reader is almost certainly going to be faster, since the camera is only USB 2.0...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  18. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I packed mine up this am for return. I sold my RX100 and am going to sit on just the G85 for a bit. I was thinking of a winter jacket pocket camera, but this will be fine until our European vacation in the spring. I'll see what's out there then, and likely prices will drop a bit more by then. Thanks for the input/help/information!

19. Palmor

Palmor Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Younhave to turn the camera on. If it’s off it will be in charge mode (I have a iMac and it does work).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think it's more processor than sensor with the GM5. Sharpness is fantastic on the GM5, but colors are harder to get right in post. I guess in theory the GM5 has an AA sensor, but it's extremely weak. The GM5 did get DfD if I remember correctly as well, so better CDAF than previous cameras. I did enjoy my GM5 quite a bit, I ended up selling it when I got my GX85 because the IBIS and processing were nice enough that I didn't want to bring the GM5 out as much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.