1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

*UPDATED* 4 Lens Voigtlander Kit, Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ragtop, May 8, 2010.

1. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I am new to the forum and I'm just now getting my equipment established for my Olympus E-P2. I am just thrilled with the handling and size of the m43 cameras and lenses and the possibilities they present. I've been an amateur photographer for about 20 years and I just recently decided to scale down. I sold my Nikon D90 and accompanying glass to get into the m43 format. I found I hated to lug the D90 and all it's lenses around and therefore very rarely took it out to just explore and have fun with photography. It was more of a chore in my mind. This is where I am hoping m43 will renew my interest in photography.

I currently have the Olympus E-P2, EVF, and kit 14-42mm lens. I really want to get back into the mindset of where you feel the camera and lens selection is an extension of your vision and creativity. I'm now finding myself liking the more simple things and less complicated things, I guess where less IS really more. That's why I am going with manual lenses and this is where I would like your input.

I am thinking about a 4 lens kit, all Voigtlander. I'm going to purchase 2 immediately and then add the other 2 one at a time. Here's what I'm thinking of buying immediately:
    15mm F4.5 Aspherical II M Mount
    40mm F/1.4 MultiCoated M Mount

I will be adding the 28mm f/2 Ultron M Mount next and lastly, the 75mm F/2.5, hoping by the time I buy this one, they have announced this lens in M Mount as well.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Jim

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    As long as you're aware of the limitations on using Rangefinder lenses (like a long minimum focus distance), you should be OK. Should I assume you've looked at sample images taken with those lenses on a mFT body? You might definitely want to do that if you haven't done so already. Some people don't like the bokeh on the Voigtlander lenses.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    My choice would be:

Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

Voigtlander 28mm f2, or Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm f2.8 (as good as a Leica and cheaper than a Voigtlander) eg: http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-28MM-F-...ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a068424e1

Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f2 (as good as a Leica and cheaper than a Voigtlander) eg: Minola M-Rokkor 40mm f2 Leica M CLE lens. Beautiful! - eBay (item 120566705145 end time May-14-10 01:46:39 PDT)

Minolta M-Rokkor 90mm f4 (as good as a Leica and cheaper than a Voigtlander) eg: Leica Rokkor M 90mm f 4 boxed - eBay (item 220599677159 end time May-10-10 06:18:17 PDT)

Cheers

Ray

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i like your recommendation

the rokkors are truely above avg in every way the m mount rokkor is one i would love to have, years ago i had the cl with leica 40 2 and i regret selling it

i would also suggest that if you go for the rokkor 40 2 then skip the 40 voigtlander
    and consider the cv 50 1.5 which has better bokeh and is very sharp wide open... its sometime available used for a good price , the silver 50 1.5 nokton on my ep1 frequently elicits comments from strangers who what to know more about the" beautiful camera" sometime they are surprised its digital ....lol

5. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm also going for the same setup as you are, ragtop. Currently, we have the following VC lenses - 50mm f1.1, 40mm f1.4, 28mm f2. I'm still missing the 12mm f5.6 and either the 75mm f2.5 or the 90mm f3.5 for hitting far targets.

We really enjoy the lenses that we have and find that we don't use our autofocus lenses that much anymore. I've already sold my 17mm f2.8 and now we're thinking of selling the 14-45mm lens as we find that both ends of the lens can be covered by the 20mm f1.7 and our vc lenses.

Also check out the Adapted Lens Images Section :)

6. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks everyone for your input. I should also add here that size is a big determining factor for me, so that is one of the reasons I really like the Voigtlanders. I have looked at the Rokkor's and they are a nice lens and I'm sure built very well, but are slightly larger than the comparable Voigtlanders I've been looking at. I've also looked at Canon FD glass and while they are very nice and can be had for a good price, just a bit large I think. Also, the "vintage" look of the Voigt's is an added bonus. :)

Jim

7. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    actually the roccor that was reccomended earlier is a tiny lens... it is smaller that the voightlanders[ but not really smaller than the 15] its not an slr lens the 40m 2 roccor c was the lens designed for the cle an m mount minolta almosrt exactly like the leica cl[ which was also built by minolta]

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    As mentioned, the M-Rokkors are the same size as the equivalent Leica, or smaller. That was the whole idea of these lenses, they were built for the Minolta CL and CLE, the alternative Leica M or the day. See:

Leica M Lens Users Guide

Leica Minolta* CL

The lens on the front right is the 40mm f2 M-Rokkor, next to the 40mm f1.4 Voigtlander.

Leica%20CL%2040%202x.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice. Here's what I've decided. I placed an order for a 3 lens special from Stephen Gandy at CameraQuest. They are as follows, the 50mm/1.5, 50mm/2.5, and 85mm/3.5. All for $500.00, new with USA warranty. The only kicker is they are in Nikon S Rangefinder mount, which is not a big deal since I have to purchase adapters anyway. I'll probably eBay the 50mm/2.5 later, but I'm also going to add the 21mm/4 for my 3 lens kit for now, then add the 35mm/1.4 in a few months.

I know I "cheaped" out, but this seemed like to good of a deal to pass up as these lenses are on closeout. I've also purchased an adapter for each lens for easier change out.

As soon as I get them I'll start posting some photos with each and my initial thoughts.

Jim

10. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    no thats an incredible deal and when you recover funds for the one you ebay you may want to putthat toward a leica or rokkor m mount 40 mm f2 lens [ almost the same lens except for coatings and design issues ]
    both 40`s f2 `s are is truly tiny......... truly great......... and truly a bargain....[for now!]

ray was telling you some good advice, it rubbed off on me and im looking around for acheap
    rokkor ar leica c 40mm, it was one of the great lenses i owned 20 yrs ago

11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Rokkor 40mm/f2.0 CLE Leica M Mounts...

I don't know what's considered cheap on these but they are obviously rare, and appreciated. Nice to see some good examples still around.

Thanks cosina and Ray for bringing this discussion forward. This is turning out to be a valuable thread.

minolta rokkor 40mm, Lenses. Great deals on eBay!

12. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I just wanted to update the current status of my Lens dilemma as I've had a few email me with questions. I did get the 3 kit Voigtlander lenses in and purchased an adapter from rainbowimaging on ebay. After receiving the adapter, there was a lot of movement where the lens goes into the adapter and no amount of adjustment would help. Also, very hard to get to mount on the camera, so, I sent the adapter back and was refunded my purchase price. Next, I pursued, on the advice of Stephen Gandy, the only other adapter that I know of for the Nikon S rangefinder mount, from amedeo.m on ebay. These were pretty expensive at 179.00 but still not bad if it worked. I contacted him about his adapter and he told me he was having a minor problem with getting them to fit correctly with the Olympus Pen Cameras and he was working on the problem and would let me know when they were ready. Very nice person and honest and upfront.

So, I didn't have any luck there so now I have 3 lenses that I don't have an adapter for and can't use. I called Stephen Gandy at cameraquest.com to see if I could return the items and put the money toward a Voigtlander 35/1.4. No deal as he said these were on clearance, but he did offer to allow me half price on these never used lenses that I purchased from him new toward the lens. I opted to sell them on eBay and then purchased my lens from another dealer, which is why I've updated my original post here for those that might be interested or who have asked my opinion on these lenses.

I currently have the Voigtlander M Mount to m4/3 adapter with the following 3 lenses, a 15/4 M mount, 35/1.4 MC M Mount and 50/1.1 M Mount. I can say this is the way I should've went to begin with. The adapter fits the camera fantastically and all the M Mount lenses fit into the adapter fine as well. No movement or "slack" in them at all.

These lenses feel better to me than the Nikon S mount lenses and focusing is easier as they have focusing tabs and will focus from close to infinity within about 1/4 of the diameter of the lens, so you don't have to keep turning and turning to get from close to infinity. I really like these lenses and the 50/1.1 is my favorite as it is fantastic for portraiture work and just a great lens on the m4/3 format. Also the 15/4 is a great wide angle, just set to infinity focus and you're set for landscapes and the color and contrast is breathtaking. The 35/1.4 gets some use as well, great for a walk around lens, street shooting, etc.

Thats a brief synopsis of my journey so far. I hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same thing I did. One other point I'd like to make is resell, I just don't think the resell market will be there for the Nikon S Mount Voigtlanders as much as the M mount. Just my opinion.

Jim Watts

13. CedMan

CedMan New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2010
    I'm in a similar boat ... been trying to figure out what to get but I'm starting from scratch ... but I keep thinking of the 28/2 because I have an 40/1.8 Konica ... BTW, I ordered a metabone adapter and hope that it will works well ...

14. Kozik

Kozik New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2010
    I'd be wary of the 75mm, 150mm is not a focal length I use often at least. Have you considered using an ultrafast lens, like the CV 50mm f/1.1?

15. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi

May I know which (brand) M mount adapter you bought?

16. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    eventually you will be able to use these nikon rf mount lenses, an adapter with revised design will no doubt be created sooner rether than later , sorry for the dilemma your facing , what a pain
    i willl keep my eyes peeled

17. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Yotsuba, I have the voigtlander M Adapter. It's very nicely made and works great. No slack or play where the adapter goes on the camera body or where the lens attaches to the adapter.

Jim