Updated: 100-400 may be imminent, new camera registered, Olympus to be sold. What next?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am pretty disappointed with m43. 100-400 and 10-25 Panasonic lenses cannot be repaired. Promises of new cameras for months, only to be faced with plastic bodied substitutes. The good old days. O.K. Software can be updated and improved for in camera use, but you still have to like, enjoy, have empathy with your equipment. You want to be proud of it, what it can do and appreciate its looks and ergonomics. Sad. So far today.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Seems like there is a pretty simple fix to that problem.
:p

Add weight or put it on a monopod.
Lead stick on tire weights taped to the zoom ring would work.
Double edge sword.​
Weight dampens the wobble, but makes it heavier to lug around. But it would be less than the additional weight of a monopod.​

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Great, now I have to await a new Olympus camera as well as trio of Lumix ones after all yesterdays news. Will this be a new Fed/Zorki Pen F with a 24......

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
https://www.alphashooters.com/sigma-100-400mm-f5-6-3-dg-dn-announced/
Brand new lens for full frame, weather sealed, small enough and a price under 1000$.

This is one of the reasons why Olympus image division went into trouble.

The market is more competitive than ever and Olympus did not adapt to the market. They innovated when they start doing mirrorless cameras, but competition caught up very quickly and aggressively, specially in terms of price.

In terms of cameras they are recycling their technology over and over. The last good improvement was when they introduced the EM1mk2 and the price was already in the upper limit.

Since then, no big improvements were made and the prices were kept high, specially now with good fullframe cameras being sold for less than 1500$.

EM5mk3 was launched around 2 years late and still the price was not adjusted to reality. To be competitive that camera should be around 900$ or less when launched.

This camera should have been released short after the EM1mk2 for people that want everything in a small pack (m43 big advantage) and at that time it could justify the price, not now.

They tried to milk EM5mk2 as much as they could and delayed the mark 3 to not “cannibalize” the sales of EM1mk2.

The problem is that people decided to buy something else meanwhile. The brands with more success in electronics are not too concerned about one model taking sale from another. They want people to buy something from their brand, regardless of the model and they usually have many models.

Olympus decided to keep fewer models with long life cycle. When you do that, you need to make sure you have the best bang for the buck in every level, otherwise people will just buy something else.

This is almost a probability situation. When people don’t know too much about cameras they just go to a shop and buy one they like or the one the seller suggests or a brand that they know well (most likely Canon). They have no idea of mounts, size of lens, weather sealing, stabilization, etc.

Only people that do a bit of research will find the advantages that Olympus/Panasonic M43 offers compared to other brands and that’s a small number of people. We called them the enthusiasts.

The problem now is that enthusiasts can easily find alternatives. Mirrorless fullframes as small as m43 cameras for less than 1500$ or even 1000$, new compact full frame mirrorless lenses for interesting prices and amazing AF and IQ performance.

Fuji APS-C is a perfect alternative for EM10/5 or PenF users, with the same cool retro style, small bodies, amazing IQ and a good set of compact prime lens.

The only advantage that m43 offers at the moment (in my opinion) is the size and reach of telephoto lens in combination with the higher end models EM1/G9 with 300f4 and 100-400 and this only applies for wildlife photographers, or someone who really needs the reach.

But I believe soon this gap will get smaller. See Sigma lens above, about the same size as the pana Leica. Combine this with a Full frame A7 in crop mode and you have the same reach with probably better quality, with almost no lost in terms of size and weight.

Canon is about to launch a 100-500, 600 and 800mm for their RF mount. Yes, maximum apertures are smaller, but most likely the sensor will compensate with high ISO performance and don't seem to be that big.

For an enthusiast these options will probably be good enough and when not shooting wildlife there is now a good number of lenses that are not that big compared to a 12-40 or a 12-100 pro and will take advantage of the fullframe sensor for landscape or portraits.

To be honest, I can see a future where only smartphones and profissional/enthusiast full frame cameras exist and that future is not far away.

M43 brands should have invested in AI (smartphone like) to match or overpass full frame IQ. That would get them more customers and it could keep them alive until FF gets the same AI. The small sensor would require less processing power and that would be always an advantage.

However, few improvements were made and FF brands, with Sony in the frontline, invested a lot to get smaller bodies and lens and they are now at the same level or above m43 in terms of features. Eye AF is now unreal.

I just believe m43 missed the AI train and is probably to late now to go onboard.

Soon, having a silver PenF will be like shooting film in 2020.

Have saying this, I’m still waiting on that zuiko 100-400. Just hope it actually comes out AND that they check competition prices this time.
There is no reason why it should cost more than the 1000$ Sigma is charging for its new FE Mount 100-400 f5-6.3.

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am pretty disappointed with m43. 100-400 and 10-25 Panasonic lenses cannot be repaired. Promises of new cameras for months, only to be faced with plastic bodied substitutes. The good old days. O.K. Software can be updated and improved for in camera use, but you still have to like, enjoy, have empathy with your equipment. You want to be proud of it, what it can do and appreciate its looks and ergonomics. Sad. So far today.

Mike, that's exactly the reason why I'm staying with my Oly M1ii and Oly lenses. If my cam should break, I will replace it with the same, either new or slightly used, same goes for my lenses. The cam and my lenses do everything I want of them and I am very happy using them.
I would not consider Panasonic for one minute because of their reputation of not repairing gear, only offering a small discount on a new lens. Outrageous!
There is nothing else out there which gives me the same size, weight and handling that my Oly gear does so, given my age (70+), I think Oly will see me through and will continue to be the best IMO.
Such a shame it has to be OLY that is in trouble and not Panny.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Brand new lens for full frame, weather sealed, small enough and a price under 1000$.

Why because Olympus already came out with the 12-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Lens that is faster aperture, bigger focal range, and also weather sealed and also under $1000?

Sigma makes good lenses and hopefully this will also be a good lens, but it is a budget lens. So right now, without know the quality of this lens, all we know is Sigma is coming out with something Oly already did better (if you just look at the numbers), and cheaper.

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
Why because Olympus already came out with the 12-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Lens that is faster aperture, bigger focal range, and also weather sealed and also under $1000?

Sigma makes good lenses and hopefully this will also be a good lens, but it is a budget lens. So right now, without know the quality of this lens, all we know is Sigma is coming out with something Oly already did better (if you just look at the numbers), and cheaper.

Even if the 12-200 gives you 400mm in terms of FF, you can’t compare lens like that.

A 100-400mm lens is a 100-400mm lens and not a 12-200. Then, depending on the sensor of the camera they are mounted on, they can be equivalent to something else.
Experts on lens design can probably explain this better than myself.

There is only one 100-400 lens on m43 and it doesn’t cost less than 1000$. Ok, it might be superior, but double the quality? I don’t think so...
As far as we know the new zuiko 100-400 won’t be a pro or premium grade so I expect it to be comparable with the sigma 100-400 and that includes the price.

Anyway, that 12-200 didn’t get good reviews...

Olympus needs (needed ?) to be more competitive on prices. They cannot ask more than other brands for the same product knowing they always have the “small sensor limitation”

Olympus needs (needed) more 45mm F1.8. Small, fast, top quality for a couple of hundred €. It gives professional results with all the advantages mentioned.

They needed a EM5mk3 that is equivalent to a A7III or Z6. All in one, small pro body.
EM5mk2 when launched was on pair or above with competition in a very small and rugged pack.

This is what made Olympus successful in Mirrorless. More camera, more features for less money, less size.

Now is less camera, less features for more money and the size is not a big advantage anymore after FF went on diet.

Again, just my opinion.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku

The market is more competitive than ever and Olympus did not adapt to the market. They innovated when they start doing mirrorless cameras, but competition caught up very quickly and aggressively, specially in terms of price.

In terms of cameras they are recycling their technology over and over. The last good improvement was when they introduced the EM1mk2 and the price was already in the upper limit.

Since then, no big improvements were made and the prices were kept high, specially now with good fullframe cameras being sold for less than 1500$.

EM5mk3 was launched around 2 years late and still the price was not adjusted to reality. To be competitive that camera should be around 900$ or less when launched.

This camera should have been released short after the EM1mk2 for people that want everything in a small pack (m43 big advantage) and at that time it could justify the price, not now.

They tried to milk EM5mk2 as much as they could and delayed the mark 3 to not “cannibalize” the sales of EM1mk2.

The problem is that people decided to buy something else meanwhile. The brands with more success in electronics are not too concerned about one model taking sale from another. They want people to buy something from their brand, regardless of the model and they usually have many models.

Olympus decided to keep fewer models with long life cycle. When you do that, you need to make sure you have the best bang for the buck in every level, otherwise people will just buy something else.

This is almost a probability situation. When people don’t know too much about cameras they just go to a shop and buy one they like or the one the seller suggests or a brand that they know well (most likely Canon). They have no idea of mounts, size of lens, weather sealing, stabilization, etc.

Only people that do a bit of research will find the advantages that Olympus/Panasonic M43 offers compared to other brands and that’s a small number of people. We called them the enthusiasts.

The problem now is that enthusiasts can easily find alternatives. Mirrorless fullframes as small as m43 cameras for less than 1500$ or even 1000$, new compact full frame mirrorless lenses for interesting prices and amazing AF and IQ performance.

Fuji APS-C is a perfect alternative for EM10/5 or PenF users, with the same cool retro style, small bodies, amazing IQ and a good set of compact prime lens.

The only advantage that m43 offers at the moment (in my opinion) is the size and reach of telephoto lens in combination with the higher end models EM1/G9 with 300f4 and 100-400 and this only applies for wildlife photographers, or someone who really needs the reach.

But I believe soon this gap will get smaller. See Sigma lens above, about the same size as the pana Leica. Combine this with a Full frame A7 in crop mode and you have the same reach with probably better quality, with almost no lost in terms of size and weight.

Canon is about to launch a 100-500, 600 and 800mm for their RF mount. Yes, maximum apertures are smaller, but most likely the sensor will compensate with high ISO performance and don't seem to be that big.

For an enthusiast these options will probably be good enough and when not shooting wildlife there is now a good number of lenses that are not that big compared to a 12-40 or a 12-100 pro and will take advantage of the fullframe sensor for landscape or portraits.

To be honest, I can see a future where only smartphones and profissional/enthusiast full frame cameras exist and that future is not far away.

M43 brands should have invested in AI (smartphone like) to match or overpass full frame IQ. That would get them more customers and it could keep them alive until FF gets the same AI. The small sensor would require less processing power and that would be always an advantage.

However, few improvements were made and FF brands, with Sony in the frontline, invested a lot to get smaller bodies and lens and they are now at the same level or above m43 in terms of features. Eye AF is now unreal.

I just believe m43 missed the AI train and is probably to late now to go onboard.

Soon, having a silver PenF will be like shooting film in 2020.

Have saying this, I’m still waiting on that zuiko 100-400. Just hope it actually comes out AND that they check competition prices this time.
There is no reason why it should cost more than the 1000$ Sigma is charging for its new FE Mount 100-400 f5-6.3.

I think most of your speculation is in the wrong topic.

Anyway that lens won't give the reach of nearly 800mm, maybe close if on APS-C camera.

Like PakkyT said we would also need reviews to say much.

I have read that high MP FF in crop mode will give quality like 12MP M43 camera. But as a novice someone else has to explain it or you look for info about it.

Hahaha on your comment about PEN-F (which I bought 8 months ago used and very happy about the whole experience), I guess I can call myself a film shooter now. :roflmao:

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think most of your speculation is in the wrong topic.

Anyway that lens won't give the reach of nearly 800mm, maybe close if on APS-C camera.

Like PakkyT said we would also need reviews to say much.

I have read that high MP FF in crop mode will give quality like 12MP M43 camera. But as a novice someone else has to explain it or you look for info about it.

Hahaha on your comment about PEN-F (which I bought 8 months ago used and very happy about the whole experience), I guess I can call myself a film shooter now. :roflmao:

FF needs 80mp to match the crop capability of 20mp 43 sensor. So a 46mp FF sensor would only give you about 12mp m43 equivalent. Unfortunately most APS-C bodies are not designed for fast action with larger lenses. M43 still has an advantage with wildlife that cannot be directly replaced with either FF or APS-C mirrorless equivalent.

skellington

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith
This is the ball just before the catcher caught it. I can see the stitching on the ball.
I think the focus was on the batter, so the catcher and ump are slightly OOF.
.xb-attach{ text-align:center; display:inline-block; *display: inline; clear:both; max-width:100% } .lbContainer.lbContainer--canZoom .lbContainer-zoomer { bottom: 24px; }

From the first calculator google turned up, at 100m, at f7.1 with a 300mm lens and an E-M1, depth of field is ~24 meters.... And of course it doesn't sharply drop off after that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom