Updated: 100-400 may be imminent, new camera registered, Olympus to be sold. What next?

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I agree that Olympus should have made more super-telephotos earlier. But the AF hadn’t really gotten as good as it needed to be until recently, so maybe it wouldn’t have mattered much.

I have very high expectations for the 150-400mm Pro and believe it will be in a class by itself... The brightness of the aperture, true dual sync, the extra 100mm of reach from the built-in tc, it’s a good bet it will be sharper than the 100-400, and it will still be hand-holdable (though big and heavy by M4/3 standards)... These are all very important and a truly unique set of features (not to mention Oly’s great features in the high end cameras). But yeah, it will be very expensive so it’s great that the 100-400 also exists as a more affordable and still attractive option. That said, the 150-400 Pro could still end up costing less than the competition’s flagship super-telephoto lenses.

Personally, I would still love to see a successor to the EM-1X that has a new sensor and better EVF. If JIP can somehow secure a new sensor at around 24-28MP and as state-of-the art as it can be in terms of noise performance, that would be about the perfect camera to go with this lens. If JIP is successful in their business model, maybe this will happen, someday. For now it seems wishful thinking.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus system does seem popular among wildlife photographers, so I think 50-200mm (F2.8?) Pro and 50-230mm (F4.0?) Pro will still be made. Even the 100mm Pro macro is meant for wildlife. The road map is almost all Pro and/or telephoto. A serious sports/wildlife lens like 150-400mm F4.5 Pro will really help the system, they should have made it a long time ago.

It's funny, every time I go to the park with my E-M1 II and 12-100mm, people ask me if I am birding, but I'm just a landscape photographer. Maybe it's photographers like me who don't belong in the future of this system. I think it's the bright prime lenses on the road map that are less likely to be realized. I was hoping for a 9mm or 10mm but I might have to settle for the 8-25mm F4.0 since it is more of a sure thing.
I think it might also have to do with the size of 12-100mm lens, it's as big as 75-300mm.

https://j.mp/3hQFHRo

I think it might also have to do with the size of 12-100mm lens, it's as big as 75-300mm.

https://j.mp/3hQFHRo
While true, it's a lot simpler to make a variable aperture, 4x telephoto with no weather/dust sealing than it is to make a fixed aperture, 8.3x superzoom that extends from UWA to medium telephoto, has superb optics at all FLs and apertures, with sync-IS, weather/dust sealed and excellent close focus ...

Both are excellent, for very different reasons.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
While true, it's a lot simpler to make a variable aperture, 4x telephoto with no weather/dust sealing than it is to make a fixed aperture, 8.3x superzoom that extends from UWA to medium telephoto, has superb optics at all FLs and apertures, with sync-IS, weather/dust sealed and excellent close focus ...

Both are excellent, for very different reasons.
Yeah, my remark was just that the camera being M43 might not be the only reason they ask if one photographs birds.

12-100mm is an awesome lens, but way too big for those focal lenghts for me. 12-40mm is maximum I like.

75-300mm being maximum I like to carry in my bag for wildlife.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom