Updated: 100-400 may be imminent, new camera registered, Olympus to be sold. What next?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
The 8-25mm makes perfect sense to me. I frequently use the P12-60mm with a 0.7x wide angle converter to obtain that particular range of coverage. The PL10-25mm is outstanding, but more than a handful in weight and cost. An Oly at half or less of the weight and price would be of interest to me.
Yes, I agree it sounds very interesting (depending on size and price). If I didn't already have a PL8-18 2.8-4, it would be even more interesting. I wonder how it will compare. The extra reach to 25 would be useful, of course.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
It's odd that there was no mention of the 100-400 (which me and a lot of others thought would be the first thing to come down the pike now). I wonder if this is good or bad. Maybe they didn't mention it because it is coming out very soon anyway? Hope, hope...

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's odd that there was no mention of the 100-400 (which me and a lot of others thought would be the first thing to come down the pike now). I wonder if this is good or bad. Maybe they didn't mention it because it is coming out very soon anyway? Hope, hope...
From the Red35 video I took a very very clear hint that they will release it this month.

He mentioned about a lens release soon, from a phone call conversation with Olympus.

Very soon after in another sentence he mentioned the 100-400mm, a bit like a freudian slip.

I think they plan to calm the public with the release.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Bird AF will be a welcome addition to my X, but they better not leave the starry AF out of that update...
And this may be the first time I wished I had a child, because my feeling is still that I’ll need trade my first born to get that 150-400 pro.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Bird AF will be a welcome addition to my X, but they better not leave the starry AF out of that update...
And this may be the first time I wished I had a child, because my feeling is still that I’ll need trade my first born to get that 150-400 pro.
Two kidneys ought to do the trick.

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
Yet, the camera is more than just the sensor.
That’s true, but go and say that to the “average joe” that’s sees a FF Mirrorless, 26Mpx for 999$. They won’t even know that they have just a couple of premium lenses available to mount on the camera.

1300$ and they get a kit with 24-105 a SD card and a cheap bag and tripod. Deal!

This is probably the biggest fail of Olympus. Not only the price, but the marketing. Almost no one knows about Olympus, at least in Europe. When I say I have an Olympus, people are like: “OK, never heard”. Most of the shops don‘t even have Olympus gear. Social media presence is embarrassing sometimes and we are in 2020. If you have a company and don’t put a strong focus on social media you will fail.

Look at Apple. They are good, but not as good as they say they are. However the marketing is so good that they can sell the same product for years for the same overestimated price. They sell good products for the price of exceptional products and exceptional products for nonsense prices. It’s all about marketing and IMHO, Olympus has a poor marketing department.

And, btw, Olympus is not the only one who makes good cameras. If you think like that you live in a bubble.
Even inside M43, a G9 right now is probably the best bang for the buck. Way better priced than the Olympus equivalent.

Anyway, lets stay ontopic. I’m still waiting to see that 100-400 out to check the reviews and comparisons with the PL100-400. I have been waiting for this lens since before it was announced to have dual IS with my EM1mk2 and hopefully weather seal.

Now with the recent news, if the zuiko doesn’t meet my expectations (considerably better than the 75-300 and well priced), I might go with the PL in case I move to Panasonic in the future or I might just abort the deal completely and stay with the 75-300 for now.

Don’t want to put too much money on a m43 lens with the future so uncertain.

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That’s true, but go and say that to the “average joe” that’s sees a FF Mirrorless, 26Mpx for 999$. They won’t even know that they have just a couple of premium lenses available to mount on the camera.
The "Average Joe" likely owns some Canon Rebel in APS-C with the kit lens...

APS-C is a wonderful format and it still is the king of the volume.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom