Updated: 100-400 may be imminent, new camera registered, Olympus to be sold. What next?

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK let's try this.
With the 75-300 at 300mm, at a high school softball game.
This is full frame, shot from about 75 feet outside the outfield fence of the softball field. So quite a distance from home plate.
Sorry, but I had to remove the ID of the batter.
View attachment 830975

This is the ball just before the catcher caught it. I can see the stitching on the ball.
I think the focus was on the batter, so the catcher and ump are slightly OOF.
View attachment 830976

EXIF details: ISO = 2500, 1/1600 sec, f/7.1
That's pretty impressive. My friend has one. It seems to get a little soft from about 250 on, but this looks pretty good.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
From past experiences, how long it normally takes since a new product gets registered until it is actually released?
I think it varies a little bit depending on whether it’s a camera or a lens, but between registration and announcement and registration and release are two different things. I’d hazard a guesstimate we’re 2-4 weeks away from a formal announcement and 4-8 weeks away from whatever it is winds up being, actually available to purchase.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's pretty impressive. My friend has one. It seems to get a little soft from about 250 on, but this looks pretty good.
As much as I would like the 100-400, the 75-300 seems to be "good enough."
Although, 100-400 with OIS with Sync-IS on the EM1 would be really helpful. Even with IBIS, handholding that 300 is tough. To me, there is not enough weight to dampen my body wobble. So these 300mm shots are almost all done on a monopod, to help me at least stabilize in the vertical axis.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
As much as I would like the 100-400, the 75-300 seems to be "good enough."
Although, 100-400 with OIS with Sync-IS on the EM1 would be really helpful. Even with IBIS, handholding that 300 is tough. To me, there is not enough weight to dampen my body wobble. So these 300mm shots are almost all done on a monopod, to help me at least stabilize in the vertical axis.
@Phocal said that the 75-300 was too light to hold steady at long lengths. He agreed that more weight helps to dampen movements, up to a point. Using a monopod with a ballhead :) would definitely help. The 100-400 would probably be heavier and longer than the 75-300, so I hope they include a tripod foot with it. I wonder if they might do something like Sigma did with their new 100-400 f5-6.3 DG DN zoom, and make the tripod foot an extra option.

Last edited:

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
@Phocal said that the 75-300 was too light to hold steady at long lengths. He agreed that more weight helps to dampen movements, up to a point. Using a monopod with a ballhead :) would definitely help. The 100-400 would probably be heavier and longer than the 75-300, so I hope they include a tripod foot with it. I wonder if they might do something like Sigma did with their new 100-400 f5-6.3 DG DN zoom, and make the tripod foot an extra option.
It really is. If Olympus came out with a mk3 that had IS I would probably buy it, would hope for weather sealing as well. Prior to moving to Alaska I would have never have bought one and was even going to sell mine (just never got around to it). Now it is my carry on the bike for my daily ride lens because I am likely to see anything while riding the trails in and around Anchorage. Would love a weather sealed version with dual IS.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It really is. If Olympus came out with a mk3 that had IS I would probably buy it, would hope for weather sealing as well. Prior to moving to Alaska I would have never have bought one and was even going to sell mine (just never got around to it). Now it is my carry on the bike for my daily ride lens because I am likely to see anything while riding the trails in and around Anchorage. Would love a weather sealed version with dual IS.
I found the 75-300 an ironic lens.
It is nice and light, just what m4/3 wants.
BUT, at 300mm, the lightness makes it harder to hold steady, even with IBIS. There isn't enough weight to dampen body wobble, when shooting freehand. Although at 12x magnification, one can argue that is at a magnification level where you should be supported.
It really needs Sync-IS, for the long end, which I hope the 100-400 has.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Chances are, since the 100-400 will have IS, they won't bother doing it for the 75-300. Agreed that it needs it. Too much redundancy? Hmm... Pana made the 100-300 II compatible with Dual-IS and they made it splash and dust proof too. How about it, Olympus?

I wonder if they'll discontinue the 75-300 after the 100-400 comes out? If the price difference is big, they'll probably keep it in the lineup, as Pana does with the 100-300 even though they have the PL 100-400. But, since Olympus is slated to come up with several Pro telephoto zooms, one wonders how their lineup will shake out after a few years? Interesting times.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Chances are, since the 100-400 will have IS, they won't bother doing it for the 75-300. Agreed that it needs it. Too much redundancy? Hmm... Pana made the 100-300 II compatible with Dual-IS and they made it splash and dust proof too. How about it, Olympus?

I wonder if they'll discontinue the 75-300 after the 100-400 comes out? If the price difference is big, they'll probably keep it in the lineup, as Pana does with the 100-300 even though they have the PL 100-400. But, since Olympus is slated to come up with several Pro telephoto zooms, one wonders how their lineup will shake out after a few years? Interesting times.
Will be interesting to see what they do. I do hope for a new 75-300 with IS and weather sealing.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
He's right. Light weight can be good for quick snaps in bright light with higher SS. But otherwise I prefer a nice weighty piece of glass.
Balance and compromise.
Too weighty and it becomes a logistical issue.

On vacation, my kit is selected based on weight and size.
The big/heavy Olympus pro lenses stay at home, in favor of smaller lighter lenses.

So like tools in a tool box, each has it's place, based on need and use.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Balance and compromise.
Too weighty and it becomes a logistical issue.

On vacation, my kit is selected based on weight and size.
The big/heavy Olympus pro lenses stay at home, in favor of smaller lighter lenses.

So like tools in a tool box, each has it's place, based on need and use.
Agreed. I used a ZD 50-200 SWD for a long time on my EM1. It was the lens I used for shooting kids soccer games, etc. But, it was way too big and heavy to consider taking for travel. I kept my little plastic fantastic 40-150 R for my travel kit. That was when I had a 12-40 Pro. But, I replaced the 12-40 Pro and the 40-150 R with the 12-100 in my travel kit. I have a 40-150 Pro now, which I use more than the 50-200, but it's still too heavy for my regular travel kit. I'm hoping that the 100-400 will be small and light enough to consider taking for travel, as well as use at home.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I rather expect this lens to be comparably sharp to the PanLeica — close enough that there won’t be enough difference to notice. I also expect it to have lens IS and compatibility with the TCs and Olympus proprietary features.

As it is, the aperture range is a bit too slow for what I would like. I don’t worry much about diffraction, but I prefer to use higher shutter speeds than this lens would usually allow. A lot of Olympus Pro lenses are sharpest at their widest aperture. Perhaps this one will be as well, even though it is not going to be a Pro lens.

My wife uses the PanLeica 100-400 because it is lightweight (and she doesn’t need much speed), but for me it is a non-starter due to the lack of dual sync IS and limited or incompatibility with important features such as Pro Capture L as well as the TCs. I have my eye on the 150-400 for myself, but this lens could be a replacement for her PanLeica.

The 300 Pro is great and sharp (though something may be wrong with mine), but we prefer the flexibility of zooms.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A lot of Olympus Pro lenses are sharpest at their widest aperture. Perhaps this one will be as well, even though it is not going to be a Pro lens.
I sure hope so.
When I look at the proposed F stop range of the 100-400 to me it looks like a 5.6 lens. Third of a stop each way will make no difference to me, my skills are not good enough to utilise what looks to me to be one third of a stop each way.

About a stop slower than the 150-400 F4.5 pro, looks good enough to me as long as it is as sharp and the Panasonic.
I just hope that in real use the light going through is not less than 6.3

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hope in can take the TC, but somehow I think they will keep that for the pro lens, hope I am wrong.

This lens is sure generating a bit of interest, good to see.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I’m hoping the 100-400 will be a good lens. Olympus really need to release the Pro 150-400 soon they have teased it since forever. I really need a good long zoom something better than the Panasonic 100-400. I’m tempted to get a hold of the Sony 200-600 and try that with one of the crop sensor cameras and compare the autofocus and image quality to what I have now. That 900 mm effective focal length would be handy to me. The price of the lens and body isn’t that much dearer than getting a 300mm F4 here.
The 300 f4 lens has gone up to around AU$4000 now (less from some suppliers), so pricing doesn't make me feel confident for a low price, but I'm hoping. It may come this year, but I won't be able to think about it till next year though (just paid for an updated laptop) so at least I will see all the feedback by then.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 300 f4 lens has gone up to around AU$4000 now (less from some suppliers), so pricing doesn't make me feel confident for a low price, but I'm hoping. It may come this year, but I won't be able to think about it till next year though (just paid for an updated laptop) so at least I will see all the feedback by then.
I have no basis for this guess but based on current prices I am thinking the 100-400 with be about $2500.00 if it is any good with weather sealing and dual IS. But this is just pure speculation, but hopefully we will see soon.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I sure hope so.
When I look at the proposed F stop range of the 100-400 to me it looks like a 5.6 lens. Third of a stop each way will make no difference to me, my skills are not good enough to utilise what looks to me to be one third of a stop each way.

About a stop slower than the 150-400 F4.5 pro, looks good enough to me as long as it is as sharp and the Panasonic.
I just hope that in real use the light going through is not less than 6.3

View attachment 831047

Hope in can take the TC, but somehow I think they will keep that for the pro lens, hope I am wrong.

This lens is sure generating a bit of interest, good to see.
I think I can be confident in saying it won't be compatible with a TC. That would be reserved for use with Pro lenses only.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Nice picture, @ac12 .

It does show the 75-300 to good advantage, and your copy seems to be like mine - sufficiently sharp out to 300. I have seen no difference on mine between 270 vs 300, even with pixel peeping. I suppose if I went back to say 220 or some such, it might be sharper, but I haven't bothered to test it because I wouldn't want to do it anyway, at least when I am using it for telephoto shooting where I need all the magnification I can get. I suppose if I were taking closer shots where the composition and other factors are more important than reach, then perhaps I would care. But I mostly use the 75-300 for long reach, as I think most people do, so I don't want to be backing off anyway.

I am interested in your use of ISO 2500. I have always removed those "intermediate" ISOs from the choices on my cameras, leaving just the "f-stop" ones - 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, etc. I do this because I have read that the ISOs in between are some kind of a fudge (to use a technical term) - I mean something like tweaking the shutter speed or some other operation to give you what you asked for, but not really giving you that ISO itself. This may not be true, may be true only for certain brands, may not matter even if true, etc. etc. But I am interested in what others think.

(We are getting pretty far-afield in this thread, I suppose. Sorry if this is a hijack!)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom