Updated: 100-400 may be imminent, new camera registered, Olympus to be sold. What next?

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
We can always hope, and it better be better than the 12-200. I so want this to be at least as good as the Panasonic 100-400.
If it starts at f5, I would think that it probably won’t. My thoughts would be that it will fall between the O75-300/P100-300 and PL100-400. Likely leaning more toward the quality of the former, since there is a pro version that goes up to 400 that should be coming as well.

It will be larger, heavier, and more expensive than the Panny, but it will also have better image quality.
I doubt it. At the wide end it's slower than the Panasonic. Olympus staded some time ago that they want to go with smaller lenses. So I think it will be smaller and lighter than the Panasonic. Don't know about the price. What I do know is that my next lens is going to be a 100-400. And if Olympus doesn't deliver it's going to be the Panasonic. And that would be my first non Olympus lens.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
It will be larger, heavier, and more expensive than the Panny, but it will also have better image quality.
Actually I think it will be smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the PanLeica since it won't be a "Pro" and PanLeica is Panasonic's Pro line. But I also think it might not be as good either.

Hopefully it will be a little better than the Oly 75-100 and Pan 100-300.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That is what I am hopeing as that is one of the reasons I purchased the EM1.3 over the G9.
Time will tell if I made the right decision. Really likeing the EM1.3 so far, and keep my fingers crossed that the 100-400 does not turn out to be a larger 12-200

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
That is what I am hopeing as that is one of the reasons I purchased the EM1.3 over the G9.
Time will tell if I made the right decision. Really likeing the EM1.3 so far, and keep my fingers crossed that the 100-400 does not turn out to be a larger 12-200
Olympus is not going to let Panny hold the best lens in this range. Sure they have the 150-400 f4.5 Pro coming out (sometime), but that is a low volume lens and they know the real money will be in the volume from the 100-400 being better than the Panny and giving Dual IS to OMD shooters.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
It will be interesting to see which camp is correct about the size/weight/quality of the 100-400. I'm not even sure I know what I want myself (except, yeah, I would like it to be at least as good as the Pany 100-400). One question, though - if it is going to come out in August, shouldn't we start to see early reviews coming out in July? (from "Olympus Visionaries", etc)? If so, the excitement builds!! Should we be expecting early reviews?

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m hoping the 100-400 will be a good lens. Olympus really need to release the Pro 150-400 soon they have teased it since forever. I really need a good long zoom something better than the Panasonic 100-400. I’m tempted to get a hold of the Sony 200-600 and try that with one of the crop sensor cameras and compare the autofocus and image quality to what I have now. That 900 mm effective focal length would be handy to me. The price of the lens and body isn’t that much dearer than getting a 300mm F4 here.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
It will be interesting to see which camp is correct about the size/weight/quality of the 100-400. I'm not even sure I know what I want myself (except, yeah, I would like it to be at least as good as the Pany 100-400). One question, though - if it is going to come out in August, shouldn't we start to see early reviews coming out in July? (from "Olympus Visionaries", etc)? If so, the excitement builds!! Should we be expecting early reviews?
I suspect it will at least be lighter than the PL100-400, as I expect a more plastic construction. The E-M5.3 is almost all plastic, so they aren’t afraid of that material. I don’t know if they’ll be able to make it a short lens though. I’m also curious what the minimum focal distance will be. I’m always looking for a good butterfly lens.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I have the PL 100-400 and I'm still interested in this new lens. But, at f/5-6.3, you probably can't go beyond f/11 before you run into defraction issues. That's not many stops to work with.

But if image quality is at least better than the Oly 75-300 and the Panny 100-300, it might still be worth picking up. Especially if it's light and perhaps more compact than the PL 100-400. I expect it to have WR since even the 12-200 has it. If it doesn't, that could be a deal breaker.

As for the 150-400 f/4.5 PRO, I don't buy lenses that expensive anymore - even if I don't really know what the price will be.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
It's the 3 other pro lenses on Olympus's roadmap that I chompin' at the bit for, especially that 50-200ish one.
Olympus is not going to let Panny hold the best lens in this range. Sure they have the 150-400 f4.5 Pro coming out (sometime), but that is a low volume lens and they know the real money will be in the volume from the 100-400 being better than the Panny and giving Dual IS to OMD shooters.
I don't think they will either, but I don't think this is the lens they will do that with. It's the others on the map I them doing it with and they are the ones that interest me more.

If these "WildA$$" guesses are anywhere near what they are planning, the upcoming 100-400mm can just be a nice consumer zoom. "A" would be compatible with both the 1.4 & 2.0 TCs giving you 400mm at f/5.6. I think "B" would also be TC compatible though f/8 would be pushing it. "A" & "B" would also be full Pro with OIS, lens function button, and snap back AF ring.

"C" might be scaled back; probably missing the AF ring and lens function button at least. I think it should have OIS, but that may come down to if they make it TC compatible. I could see it as not being TC compatible since that should really help keep the size and weight down (made even more than OIS would).

One reason they could go this way is that (unlike Panasonic) the TCs are very good AND you can actually get them AND at a reasonable price. P2.0 TCs aren't too hard to find, for about $600. And you seem to be able to get the P1.4 off eBay for $600-$800 or with the PL200mm for $2,500 - $3,000. You can get both Oly TCs for $700.

I might end up getting a 100-400 simply because I'm not going wait if I can use the focal length. I don't need it now, just like I don't need the new 12-45mm Pro right now, so I can wait.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have the PL 100-400 and I'm still interested in this new lens. But, at f/5-6.3, you probably can't go beyond f/11 before you run into defraction issues. That's not many stops to work with.
I think diffraction kicks in a lot earlier than f11 on m4/3 lenses. I have long heard that for m4/3, you get some diffraction at above 5.6, which is why most m4/3 lenses's "sweet spot" is around f4, whereas for APS-C it is f8. (Of course, I am speaking in generalities; depends on the lenses, etc)

According to an article that caused much heartburn in this News and Rumor forum because of its discussion of fiancial problems:

https://luminous-landscape.com/a-pr...nd-some-notes-on-lenses-especially-slow-ones/

There was a discussion of lenses encountering diffraction at maximum aperture. In this discussion, it mentions:

"F6.3 lenses are diffraction limited around 20 MP Micro 4/3, 30 MP APS-C, 60 MP full-frame."

It has a list of a "roll of dishonor" of lenses, where it says:

"Among interchangeable lens cameras, slow telephoto zooms and kit lenses are the most likely lenses to be concerned about. Most of these lenses are not only diffraction-limited wide open, they also need to be stopped down a couple of stops for best performance, worsening the diffraction problem.

"Here’s the rogues’ gallery of interchangeable lenses that can’t fully use your sensor due to diffraction alone, without any regard to whether the particular lens is sharp."

For m4/3, it has:

"Olympus lenses (diffraction limited on 20 MP bodies – the f8 lens is limited on 16 MP bodies as well)
M Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7
Fisheye Body Cap 9mm f8 (special shame because it’s a prime, but some credit because it’s a weird lens)
M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-200mm f3.5-6.3"

Nobody said anything about this part of the article in the thread, because they were talking about the finance part, but I found this pretty interesting because I have heard other people on this forum complaining about diffraction issues with m4/3 lenses as a reason Olympus had insisted on making their Pro lenses fast (and big and heavy). This has always annoyed me because I wanted smaller. But it is a persuasive reason why you cannot make slower, smaller lenses for m4/3 without having diffraction rear its ugly head.

Regardless, I still want the 100-400 to be fairly small. I can live with some diffraction, I guess. Life is full of trade-offs.

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
From past experiences, how long it normally takes since a new product gets registered until it is actually released? Waiting for this lenses for a long time...

As I don’t like to buy products just after release, I might wait now until next springtime to buy it, depending on the reviews and price.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK let's try this.
With the 75-300 at 300mm, at a high school softball game.
This is full frame, shot from about 75 feet outside the outfield fence of the softball field. So quite a distance from home plate.
Sorry, but I had to remove the ID of the batter.
1592679180685.png

This is the ball just before the catcher caught it. I can see the stitching on the ball.
I think the focus was on the batter, so the catcher and ump are slightly OOF.
1592679266436.png

EXIF details: ISO = 2500, 1/1600 sec, f/7.1

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
I think since this is a non-pro lens, Olympus is going to release it without much fuss leading up to it. I expect to see reviews, meaning when the embargo is lifted, on the same day that the lens is released.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom