1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

UPDATE: You need to know this...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Apr 15, 2011.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I love Olympus products, always have, but this behavior is making me rethink the company.

I put in for an email notification a few weeks back to be notified when the MAL-1 Macro light became available (it was out of stock). I got the email a couple of weeks ago, and ordered literally within 10 minutes. The funds were set aside for the purchase by my bank, Olympus showed the order as complete. After a few days, I checked on status, and nothing had changed. I inquired and was told it was out of stock. Upset, I emailed customer support to cancel the order, and get access to my funds again. The Supervisor emailed me that she was sorry, it was her mistake, that never happens, and here's a 20% discount. I'm not fond of discounts when performance is lacking in the first place ("Fool me once..."), but took her at her word.

Yesterday, I received email notification that the hood for the 40-150 was back in stock, and within 20 minutes had ordered it (I'm going by times shown on the email from Olympus and the Order Details.). This morning, I checked status, and got the same "We're sorry..." email, that it had gone back out of stock before the order could be filled.

TEN MINUTES! Really? TWENTY MINUTES? Really?

Ordering from the Olympus Store is a joke. Especially when we're all waiting for these accessories that never seem to get released, ask for email notifications, and then get a complete runaround once we order. I understand that big camera houses get most of the stock when it becomes available, but if you're going to maintain an online store, shouldn't SOME stock be put aside for those who have been waiting on YOUR site? At the very least, the order should be rejected upon placing it if stock is no longer available, you shouldn't place a hold on the funds and then wait for customers to have to ASK before finding out it might be "over the next 2 to 4 weeks" POSSIBLY.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can take, "it is out of stock" a whole lot better BEFORE they take my money. And I don't want BS notifications to get me to order things that aren't available.

The Supervisor was pleasant the first time (more than I was), and I took her at her word that it was an isolated incident. Now I see it is more their way of doing business online.

If you're thinking about ordering online with Olympus, just be informed that their in/out of stock status isn't reliable.

2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

If you think you have problems try to order Olympus stuff from Canada....hopeless!!

3. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Same experience here.

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am surprised you ordered from Olympus. They are usually more expensive than other retailers.

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Considering how much we all use the web to order things, I agree behaviour like this is unnaceptable. I've had much the same experiences as you with other companies and now I ring up to check. Which kind of defeats the whole point of ordering online!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I assume that these items were not available from Amazon? At this point, I never buy anything from anyone else, until I have checked to see if Amazon has it. Have never recieved the run-around from Amazon, and they seem to know what they have in stock For me it is worth it to pay the Prime charge once a year, and get free two day shipping and also to be able to return things no questions asked. In my view, anyone doing online business should have to take a class with Amazon before openning their store.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Amazon has 10 MAL-1 accessories in stock right now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I mistakenly thought I could get a bit ahead of the curve for these items by going to the source. You're right, I'll stick to Amazon from now on.

Things come and go from stock, I get that. It is the whole insult-to-injury "email notification" that irritates me. And their handling of it all, as if waiting 6 weeks or so is acceptable without notice or chance to opt-out in the pre-ordering stage. They've said they don't charge my card, but the funds are allocated from my account, so to me there is no difference.

I guess years of stellar NPS service have spoiled me.

9. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    In the defense of Olympus... I've had the unlucky opportunity to test their repair service (in France), and I've been very pleasantly surprised at having somebody easily on the phone, my EP1 repaired in something like three days, and I have not even been charged !

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's very reassuring, but a different aspect of the company.

Another supervisor has emailed saying that the sales person who sent me the out of stock email, didn't really look, and sure enough, one magically appeared.
    Somehow that makes it worse.

I've been copying the President of Olympus USA on these emails. Not that he reads them, but what the heck... if we, as consumers, allow customer service to go to h*ll in a handbasket without speaking up, we get what we deserve.

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    UPDATE: Apparently copying the president of Oly USA on emails has made someone take notice. A very nice VP has been emailing his apologies, and supposedly the Macro Light MAL-1 and LH-61D are on their way. It'll be a few days before I see them, so I'll post again. He says they're addressing these problems, and that the store is still relatively new in its new format. Upon hearing that, I saw that the LH-40 was available, so I ordered it too. I'll let you know how it goes with this one...

12. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

No retailers keep stuff in stock i.e. lens hoods, lens covers, lens bags, lenses!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    LOL!! On Amazon, one retailer in Japan has the LH-40 for $90 shipped!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    YES!

I just ordered the LH-40 lens hood. I thought it never would be in stock. If they would have had the VF-2 in stock I would have ordered it also.

Thank you for the info!!!

Randy

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I guess I'm on their "DANGER" list as a chronic complainer now! They just called to verify that the lens hood was going out today, and to give me the FEDEX numbers for the other two orders! I think I put their new store through the ringer on these three. I just hate bad customer service, and LOVE to call it to task. I have a personal sales rep assigned to me now... doh!

All in all, they stepped up very well. Admitted the flaws in their system, said that they've elevated us individuals ordering online OVER their big retail sales orders, and will fulfill the individual web store orders first. We'll see, but that's a positive step.

Thanks Olympus, for listening.

16. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Do you have the address? Same thing here, I ordered the macro light and extra rear cap with the 20% off. Yesterday I checked my paypal account and my purchase from March 29th is still listed as pending, I sent an email to the email account associated with the payment but have yet to hear back.

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If the big boys do not have them yet, olympus most like will not have them yet. As they need the dealers get the first orders generally. As they place the larger orders.

But olympus is not the only company that complete mess up with new items. Have had it other other companies as well.

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Try this, and I don't mind if you say you're emailing because of my posts:

Albert.Diaz@olympus.com

This guy is at the "do" level, if you don't get a good result, try:

Daniel.Mastellon@olympus.com

He's the mover and shaker, a VP. I heard from him after sending emails to the president of Olympus USA.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Thanks SRHEdD, I sent an email and noted your forum post in my email.

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...and after complaining, I now have TWO of my three ordered products, the third is coming via UPS.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1