Update on the 12-40 f2.8 Lens shipments

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I spoke to Olympus Store today. They are the 1st to be allocated the lenses prior to the dealer network. They began shipping earliest pre orders yesterday. I just ordered mine on the 24th and he said it should ship by the 8th of November. As for dealers having them, more likely very end of November at the earliest. 1st week of December more likely. I was told to call next Wednesday for a update or confirmation of my shipment of the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  2. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    My local store has them. I just picked one up at lunch today.

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I spoke to my dealer today. Previously they had said December 7. Now they are saying first week in November. So I don't think the end of November for dealers is correct.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Oh there will be dealers that will get them in no question. However that first (and in some cases 2nd) batch allocation are already spoken for in pre orders. So you can't just waltz into a dealer and buy one out of stock or off a shelf. They don't have inventory and won't for a bit yet due to demand

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Pre-ordered, or did you just buy off the shelf?

--Ken

6. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    Got mine yesterday at my local camera shop.
    I had it pre-ordered since day one.

7. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Earlier today, I stopped by my local dealer and ask about my Olympus 12-40 2.8 pre-order and the salesman laughed and told me that as soon as it arrived they will call me. I left the store and my car got blocked in by a large delivery truck that was delivering boxes to the store. After I got home, I no sooner walked in the door and my phone ringed, it was the dealer telling me that the truck had just unloaded my lens and I could pick it up. I had a really great time with my EM1, grip and my 12-40 out in the park. That is one nice sweet lens.

8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Pictures please????????????????????

9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    LOL I Love the people that use the term "My Dealer" but NEVER name them. Are they afraid others will call them and want to buy the same thing? Or that they are in some exclusive club? Hmmmm

• Like Like x 2
  10. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Those people are former drug users and because they traded their drug addiction for GAS, they find it natural to use the same language as in their drug use days. ;)

I can hook you up with my dealer. a.k.a. Keeble and Schuchat in Palo Alto, CA. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Needless to say they don't have any lenses either :-(

12. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    I just picked up my OMD-EM1 body from them, yesterday. Yay! I asked about the lens and they said mid-November, so hopefully that will come true. I'm tapped out at the moment (just had to pay property taxes) so it's a good thing I'm enjoying using my 4/3s lenses with the adapter!

13. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR. I don't know why you think you are the definitive source on this information? Do you work for Olympus? I think I will trust my dealer who delivered an E-M1 to me three weeks before you got yours.

14. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    LOL... and as I posted in other threads I have been using Berger Bros. in Amityville, NY. Picked up my E-M1 last week and at that time put in a pre-order for the 12-40. So, yes, mine was pre-ordered... but only on 10/22.

Have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    NO need to get testy there bcaslis you didn't read what I said correctly. I was stating if one is going to make statements about having received a piece of merchandise the least they can do is say from WHOM they received it instead of just saying "my dealer" as if it's a private thing. I spoke to several dealers back east today and all said they are expecting another shipment in after Nov 5th. They didn't however state how many were presold. Your dealer Pro Photo Supply in Portland didn't have any either and have 10 presold so not likely to have any for sale that aren't spoken for for a while. I've been to that store before getting some filters and stuff. Nice place.......

16. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    They are not very well versed in M4/3 unfortunately. Thank god for this forum.

17. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Since you already have a 12-40 f2.8 lens, I really did not think that you wanted to know where I purchased it, but if you need a second one, I will be more than happy to ask them to contact you when they get another one in if you will give me your private contact information. They only got in two, one was for mail order and the other was for me, and I did not think that it would do anyone any good to know which dealer had them in stock but immediately sold out....

18. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Funny. I too called Olympus this morning. The woman I spoke with told me my pre-order would ship late November, early December. I told her that's not what I was told when I ordered it weeks ago. She told me I misunderstood my salesperson. Even the web site says late Oct. She was clearly having a bad day, no reason to argue.

I told her thank you, hung up, and called back. Got a different guy this time. He put me on hold to call Customer Care to get an official date. After a short wait, he comes back and tells me, and I quote... "any time", "possibly this week", "one to two weeks", and "maybe more than 2 weeks" all in the same amazing sentence. I thanked him for his time, then banged my head on the desk for a while.

BTW, I was also informed it was not possible to pay extra for next day delivery. I informed him there was an option for it on the web site for $25. He informed me it was a bug, and even if I paid $25 for next day shipping it would still be shipped ground. He said pre-orders can't have next day shipping. They all go out ground as soon as they're available.

When I first ordered the 12-40 back on the 7th, I was told it would ship on the 9th. Now I'm just hoping I'm not stuck shooting exclusively on a 75mm for the next 5 weeks.

This is my first Olympus product (switching from Canon). In hindsight, switching systems during a pre-release wasn't the best idea. Had the salesperson just said November or later to begin with, I would have waited to switch over. I'm just glad he didn't offer to sell me beach front property in Ohio. Apparently I'm pretty gullible.

I love the E-M1 and my 75mm 1.8, but I'm not really feeling the warm and fuzzies about dealing with Olympus employees yet. I think going forward I'll skip the pre-orders and buy my gear through the regular channels when stuff is actually "in stock".

Oh well, Here's hoping for good news for all on the 12-40 soon.

/cross fingers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sounds like a much less stressful plan. B&H's pre-order system, while not perfect, tends to run a bit more smoothly, especially with respect to shipping when the product comes into stock.

Good luck,

--Ken

20. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I am also switching from Canon. I kept it just in case. But I've been happy shooting with a 17 1.8 and 75 1.8