Update on my dropped Oly 45mm....:(

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, May 11, 2013.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    On the verge of sending it to Olympus UK for assessment but decided to take it out this morning to verify in my own mind that the focus is definitely out. Well- it now won't focus at all- either AF or manually. So a definite return to base camp and see what the experts say. I have a horrible feeling that this repair may be a bit pricey. If so may ditch the lens and eventually get an alternative- possibly the Pana 20 mm f1.7. Would love the PL 24 mm f1.4, but having just replaced my broken E-PL3 with an E-P3, the credit card is straining a bit...;)
    Onwards and upwards as they say, and having fun with my legacy glass meanwhile :):)
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Ohhhhhhhhh, so sorry.

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your Oly 45mm. The PL 25mm is an excellent lens. Just got mine yesterday and while it was an extremely hard pill to swallow at $550 if you have use for that focal length it will be worth it in the long haul.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Awww, not good. One of my favorite lenses. :frown:
  5. Totoro

Totoro Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Bummer! After about 1.5 years, mine quit working a few weeks ago out of no where. It worked perfectly one minute, then I swapped to another lens for about 15 minutes, and when I swapped it back, nothing. Just a black screen. No amount of tinkering could get it working again. So I filled out a form on the Olympus USA's support site and mailed it in for service last week. The online quote was $139. It still makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. I hope the actual repair comes in less...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    The latest is that I took the lens to a Camera repair dealer who reckoned there was nothing wrong with it.....meanwhile got an ex -display Pana 20mm f1.7 which for me isn't a patch on the 45mm. So am using the lens again but it still, for me, isn't as good as it was, But that could be my perception and not reality....
  7. Arcturus

Arcturus Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Sorry to hear :( I've dropped my 45mm as well but it landed on my foot before bouncing to the carpet. Luckily it seems fine, nothing is rattling in there, focus is quick.