Update on B&H workers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TNcasual, Nov 6, 2015.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Such behavior by the company is distressing!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Like many unionization stories only the people directly involved will ever really know the whole truth.
  4. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I dislike B&H practices and unions even more. I deleted my B&H app and I'm moving on to Adorama and Amazon.
  5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I hope it doesn't mean we need to pay more due to the rising operation cost in the future.
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can easily see this thread going into "political" which is against forum rules so be careful people.

I will second what Halaking said and hope this doesn't cause a rise in prices but I bet it does!
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    oh and you think adorama and especially Amazon are working to a different business model ?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agreed on both counts... there is no such thing as a free lunch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Keep us informed, it may alter my buying practices.
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    When I first saw the article about B&H, I didn’t know what to think. About a year and half ago I ended up going to the Navy Yard warehouse to pick up the correct item I had ordered. While I was there I saw many hand trucks, dolly’s, forklifts, many were wearing waist belts and hard hats. It is a warehouse and not an office space, any issues were not obvious to this one time visitor.

After the article I did some more research on the lawsuits – 1 successful, 1 settled out of court, several others dismissed in court. I also called a friend I know that works there and he said that most of the protesters at the protest had never worked there and he also mentioned that were often outside inspectors in the warehouse often doing inspections. I’m much more inclined to believe this is the long ongoing struggle of the union trying to get in and established.

As such I’m not taking the couple of news items at face value and will continue to do business with a company I’ve had a long and trustworthy relationship with. I have found it amazing that over the years this business has been able to support their Jewish heritage to the full extent and not only stay in business but prosper.

Whether fact or fiction, these issues have B&H in the hot seat with regular inspections form government agencies - if there were/are issues, they will be corrected. This trial by media stuff just does not cut it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's only the warehouse workers who unionized. The B&H public face, store sales folks, of which there are lots, and the back office staff, lots of those too (Years ago I interviewed for a job there.) didn't unionize. The folks in the warehouse were almost certainly the lowest paid workers they had, so the costs of raising their pay and benefits, probably doesn't have a big impact on their cost of doing business. Now, if B&H doesn't own the building their showroom is in, then a rise in their lease or rent rate would have a big impact. Real estate used to be pretty cheap in that part of Manhattan, but not anymore.
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's a bit strange to complain about the perceived way that B&H treats some employees and to worry about rising prices brought on by improved treatment in the same thread.

I have no idea what B&H may be "guilty" of in this situation, but I really think that we have to take at least some of the blame for retailers feeling the need to cut every corner and save every penny they can. It seems like I see threads every day where someone is looking to buy a $1500 camera or lens and wants to be sure they squeeze even the last $5 out of whatever retailer they are looking to buy from.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My nephew worked in the Las Vegas Amazon warehouse and despite the hard work, he seemed to like the job and had good benefits/perks working there. He only left when he found a job better suited to his college degree!