1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Update GH2 to ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by byushooter, Jun 22, 2016.

1. byushooter

byushooter New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    I have an original Canon 5D (and bag full of lenses) as well as a GH2. I'm ready to upgrade and am looking for better high ISO noise and more dynamic range. Wondering how the newer m4/3 cameras compare to the GH2 in regards to both of those. Only used for stills, no video.

Thanks!

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 16MP sensor that Panasonic debuted in the GH3 and GX7 was really a very nice step up in terms of both DR and high ISO. Really all of the current models will be a nice image quality upgrade, so basically pick based on feature set desired.

Are you looking to jump to the latest and greatest, or looking for more of a used bang-for-the-buck type upgrade?

3. byushooter

byushooter New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    I tend to keep cameras for a while (the 5D) so would like something that is a significant upgrade. Panasonic or Olympus or ? I tend to grab the GH2 over the 5D unless I need high ISO, dynamic range or one of the Canon lenses. I like the looks of the more retro cameras instead of mini-DSLR types like the GH2. I love the tilt screen and touch screen for AF with the GH2. Really miss that on the Canon.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Wait for Photokina announcements in September at this point. The gh5 and EM-1, mk2 should advance the format. If you can't wait, gx8 or EM-5 MK II should both exceed the 5d. In the case of the EM-5,2, the hi res mode adds detail for static subjects that rival the best.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    My GH3 has a lot more dynamic range than the GH2, much better high-ISO noise, and seems more reliable regarding colour and whitebalance than my older Panasonic bodies.
    Controls are excellent.
    Buy used : bargain!

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The GH2 was actually a step back in terms of still photography when compared to the GH1. The GH1 has better exposure range and ISO performance than the GH2. The GH2 clearly placed a higher priority for video.

The latest top-end M43 bodies will be a step up from the GH2 for stills. But a big step? I'm not so sure. For example, the 16 megapickle, AA-free sensor in the GX85 is quite nice but it's still behind even entry-level APS-C competitors. Most say that the 20 megapickle sensor in the GX-8 is better but not by a whole lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. byushooter

byushooter New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    Hmmmm, a step up but not a big one. Maybe I need to think on this a while longer. Thanks for the replies.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  9. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    I also started out with a GH2, and upgraded to a GH3.

Something that will make a big difference in terms of upgrades is IBIS. It won't do anything to make your shutter speed faster, but in certain situations you will be able to use a lower ISO, and hence have less noise/more DR. Also focus peaking can be nice, depending on what lenses you have. If you want to stick with Panasonic, I'd go for the GX85/80 since the IBIS is supposedly almost as good as Olympus.

10. byushooter

byushooter New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    Are there Olympus models I should be considering also?

11. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
    Depends; what lenses do you have? Dual IS on the newer Panasonic bodies might be appealing. Also how important is a fully articulating screen to you?

12. byushooter

byushooter New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    I only have the 20mm 1.7 and the 14-45. I like the articulating screen but have never used just a regular tilt screen. I guess I'm trying to find out if I will see a significant reduction in noise and increase in dynamic range with the newer bodies vs. the GH2. Enough to warrant an upgrade. Thanks to everyone for your input.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    absolutely

but actually hold one and try the menus ... but for sure the OM-D 5Mkii is a formidable tool

14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Most of the improvements of the current cameras are in terms of features, not sensor improvements. Now, these can significantly improve image quality: IBIS makes longer shutter speeds realistic, Panasonic's DFD autofocus means you are more likely to get the right focus more quickly, and newer cameras produce better jpegs, if you'd like to skip RAW processing. That said, the sensor isn't inherently a lot better (it's better, just not as much better as you might be hoping for).

Other useful features since the GH2 days: higher quality EVFs and LCDs, wifi connections to get cameras off the camera quickly and to let you use a cellphone as a remote shutter, and silent e-shutter (not sure if the GH2 had that -- my G5 does).

Personally, I plan to replace my G5 sometime in the next year (maybe when there's a good E-M10ii or GX85 sale), just to get all the snazzy new features. Until then though, I'm happy with the image quality.

15. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
    I would say the sensor improvement from the GH2 to GH3/current M43 sensors was noticeable, especially in the white balance department. I remember having to carry around a white card for the GH2 and using custom white balance to improve the color rendition.

It's kind of like the difference between 14mm and 12mm - not much in absolute terms, but enough to reach the next level.

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the Gh2 and recently picked up a G7, mostly for video. The GH4 is still a bit too pricey.

The photo IQ of the G7 is very good, and noise is a huge jump over the GH2.

Downside is the lack of dedicated controls. I liked the knobs and dials for just about everything on the GH series.

The G7 also takes the same battery as the GH2.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

17. byushooter

byushooter New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. You've given me a lot of good information to consider.

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If you are used to GH2, then you will get on with the G7 immediately. It will feel very familiar to you, including all the dials and switches you love on the GH2. Performance wise it is far superior in just about every way, high ISO is quite good on G7. If you have a little more cash I think the OMD E-M5 mkII is a very compelling camera, you will gain IBIS and weather sealing.

I loved my G2 (pretty much same body as GH2), and the G7 feels even more comfortable.
    21773818774_4f548b1002_b.
    Family photo
    by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr