Update - em10II to Pen-F

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Congrats on your new PenF!
Check this video where I compare the EM10ii and PenF.

Thanks for that video, Rob.
I too have had the Pen F for a few years now but never realized that the custom settings on the mode dial could be specific to the individual creative dial mono and color profiles.... wow!

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
I would love to have a Pen F, I was dead set to get one, but… viewfinder. I couldn't get used to 1.23x mag. vs 1.48 on my EM1. So I got Em5 mkII as a second body. I really hope they re inroduce some version of Pen F.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I would love to have a Pen F, I was dead set to get one, but… viewfinder. I couldn't get used to 1.23x mag. vs 1.48 on my EM1. So I got Em5 mkII as a second body. I really hope they re inroduce some version of Pen F.

I'm not totally sure of the differences, but E-M5 II at least has TFT EVF rather than OLED in PEN-F and newer Olympus cameras. Magnification is worse, but otherwise it should be better in some ways.

Maybe someone who knows more about it will chime in. It isn't a downgrade in my understanding, depending on some preferences of course.

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
On current/recent Olympus cameras there are two EVF panels:

- OLED panel with lower resolution and magnification - EM10.2 and .3, Pen-F, EM5.3

- TFT panel with higher resolution and higher magnification - EM1 (all variants), EM5.2, EM1X (with slightly higher magnification than others).

I personally prefer the larger TFT panel, but its colour accuracy and saturation is not as good as the OLED panel. The polarisation issue doesn't bother me because I never wear polarised sunglasses.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Not sure where to put this, just a bit amused. I took E-M10 II for a walk this evening for a change. Easy to grab the bag for a bit worse weather and less weight.

What I found out is that the LCD screen goes black when I turn it downward. Straight or upward it shows the picture.

So my upgrade had good basis, I just didn't know it until now. :rofl: Seems someone is trying to sell used PEN-F in Finland for over 800 €, so very happy with the 550 €. A bit sad otherwise though.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Not sure where to put this, just a bit amused. I took E-M10 II for a walk this evening for a change. Easy to grab the bag for a bit worse weather and less weight.

What I found out is that the LCD screen goes black when I turn it downward. Straight or upward it shows the picture.

So my upgrade had good basis, I just didn't know it until now. :rofl: Seems someone is trying to sell used PEN-F in Finland for over 800 €, so very happy with the 550 €. A bit sad otherwise though.

Lucky timing

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular
I guess i am not getting s pen-f after all. The camera has not arrived and the seller refuses to answer any more emails etc. paypal report has been filled out. Hope i can get my money back.

this happened on another forum so nothing to alert you of on here.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I guess i am not getting s pen-f after all. The camera has not arrived and the seller refuses to answer any more emails etc. paypal report has been filled out. Hope i can get my money back.

this happened on another forum so nothing to alert you of on here.

That’s a bummer, hope it works out for you.
FWIW, Olympus refurb.outlet has black Pen F for $699. I bought mine as a refurbished unit from the Olympus site a few years back and it was like new...no complaints.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
FWIW, Olympus refurb.outlet has black Pen F for $699. I bought mine as a refurbished unit from the Olympus site a few years back and it was like new...no complaints.
I've also bought several things from the outlet, most have been fine.

Sadly the Pen F I got during the cyber Monday was not one of them. It was a Silver one and had dents and scratched in the metal dials, it also had more than 21k shots.

The outlet has a no question return so I would still say it's very much worth the chance. But be aware the return credit can take a while. Just something to be aware of.

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular

thanks for heads up. Fortunately paypal ruled in my favor and my money is in the process of being refunded. Unfortunately its not all here yet and $699 is likely out of my price range.

Latest threads

Top Bottom