upcoming wide angle lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by travelbug, Nov 17, 2014.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    new to mft and topside photography/videography in general (shoot more u/w photos/vids).

i just bought an epm1 with an underwater housing (the housing for the epl5 was too expensive). im looking to complement my kit and 25mm oly prime with a wide angle. i was looking at the 9-18 oly originally but the small aperture could be an issue for me since i intend to use it for low light video and photos (underwater, indoor, night, stage/event). my choice then would be the oly 12mm f2 although i was looking for something a little wider and a little cheaper since weatherproofing is not necessarily important to me.

so my question is, (1) are there w-a low light native lenses that will be offered by q2 2015? (2) would i be better off just getting a used oly 12mm/2.0 for 500 usd ( 1 1/2 years old) adn is that a decent deal? (3) are there any other low light w-a lenses that one would recommend aside from the oly 12 that gives good sharpness at widest aperture, auto focus not a requirement but would be a plus.
  2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    If a lens as fast or faster than the 12/2 comes out but even wider, expect to pay significantly more for it than the 12.

The Olympus 7-14/2.8 should be out in 2015, but expect that to be in the $1500 or so range.

The Panasonic 7-14mm/4 is a very nice lens but not cheap either, and at the wide end, only slightly faster than the 9-18mm

There is a Kowa 8.5mm 2.8 if you want want and fast-ish, but its large, manual focus only and still quite expensive.

I am not aware of any other lenses, officially announced or rumored that would fit your criteria.

You could try a wide angle adapter for the 12 to get even wider if you need the speed for video (image quality degradation is likely less of an issue for video).

$500-ish is a decent price for a 12/2.
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Perhaps the 14mm f2.5 + GWC-1 wide adapter will suit? It comes to about 11mm

I have found image quality acceptable.

There are also other reviews finding similar.

PTLens plugin also fixes the corrections at the camera firmware for the 14mm can't (like because there is no way the camera knows the adapter is mounted :)

best wishes
  4. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    tyvm for your reply.

i actually tried the slr magic 12mm t1.8 and the good news is that it fits into my underwater housing. however i find it not very shop when aperture is fully open and ive seen videos that it is sharpest at f4 which kinda defeats the purpose of a large aperture lens.

im excited for the oly 7-14, but as you say it may be a pro lens, and that is beyond my budget atm. i was hoping that oly would come out with a prosumer version of the 12mm (non pro) and hopefully the 7-14; but chances are probably quite remote...
  5. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    The current Olympus 12mm f2.0 is very sharp, and can be had for decent prices (in comparison to when it came out) on the used market. The current one is a prosumer model, not in the "Pro" series, but with near pro optics and build.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  6. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    If you want it REALLY WIDE for underwater, I recommend a Fisheye lens, get the Samyang or Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 set it to almost infinity and that will be as WIDE as it gets. Many UW photographers use it. Don't forget you need the dome to go with it. Not sure which and how it would fit on the Oly housing, as I use a Nauticam. Jump over to Scubaboard or Wetpixel forum have a look around and you will find plenty info there.
    On a side note, I use the Oly 9-18 and it works perfect for WA underwater. I don't think you want or need it faster than F/4. Get some great video lights and strobe! Be prepared to spend $$$$$ for UW photography / video!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    thanks for the suggestion zulfur but i am not looking for a fisheye lens. i have been a member of the scubaboard forums since 2007 and i got some good advice there also - ie the 9-18 actually fits the standard housing/dome but not at 9mm. the standard dome is spacious, and it can fit the slr magic 12mm, oly 25. im not sure of the actual size but it may be big enough to fit the samyang/rokinon 10mm.

for oly 12mm/2 users, when you set your manual focus to near infinity and aperture to 2.8, what distances remain in focus (ie 3ft to infinity)?
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I don't know what your time situation is (need in now or can wait) but Olympus is going to announce the E-M5 replacement in February and they will probably announce some fast primes at that time. I think their fast prime gap is obviously in the ultra wide angles and longer telephoto ranges. The only rumor I've heard is a 9mm f1.8 which I would love but it is only a rumor and if true will probably be expensive. If you can afford to wait (3 months) you might want to just sit tight for a while. Of course there's always a delay between announcement and actual availability to consider too.