1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upcoming replacement hood for Oly 45mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Fish, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    I have been in contact with a person at JJC and the good news is, they are producing a copy of the Olympus 45mm lens hood. They usually add a "J" to the model names, and this one will be called the LH-J40B

There is already a page on their website and they plan on starting sales in mid-November.

JJC Professional Camera and Photo Accessories Manufacturer remote shutter release lens hood remote control flash diffuser

If you are looking to buy a hood for your lens, these should start to appear on eBay shortly. I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this. The $60 optional hood from Olympus is an insult and the only negative side to an otherwise great lens.

- Chad

• Like Like x 3
  2. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks Darren,

Good find! And here I thought I had some inside information :tongue:

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Huzzah! Long wait though :(

5. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I ordered this hood yesterday, and just reveived a shipping confirmation today.

6. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

Me too. We'll see how long it takes to arrive.

7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I received the JJC version of the LH-40B lens hood this afternoon. I don't have the Olympus OE version to compare to, but the fit and quality is good. Others had reported that the OE version was very loose and prone to falling off, but this JJC version has a snug fit. Like the OE, it's made of plastic, with the outside painted silver to mimic the plastic areas of the lens just above lens mount. The inner part is painted flat black. For $15 including free shipping, it's a good value.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the JJC LH-48 replacement hood for my 12mm.

[​IMG]

8. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Are my eyes fooling me, or are the 12mm and 45mm hoods about the same diameter and height?

9. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I ordered mine the same day and yesterdays tracking showed it as being in LA. I hope it makes it to Texas tomorrow. What is the front diameter of the hood?

10. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Now that you mention it, they practically are. The 45mm hood is a smidge taller and a tad wider (because it's circular). Here's another view:

[​IMG]

Of course, the 45mm hood is a bayonet mount, while the 12mm hood uses a ring and screw to tighten onto the lens barrel.

11. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    60mm wide. No vignetting at all, which is what one would expect from an exact replacement hood.

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for the link. I ordered mine just now, and negotiated 50 cents off the asking price, too! :biggrin:

13. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    I got mine today. It fits perfectly, looks good on the lens, and has a nice matte coating inside the hood to prevent reflections. Not bad for $15 including shipping.

Shame on you Olympus. You would have gained some good-will if you'd included a hood with the lens, but even if you had to sell it separately, you shouldn't have tried to charge $60 for it. JJC could still make a profit selling it at 1/4 of that price and I didn't even have to buy a lens from them first.

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    +1
    IMHO, even if Olympus were to charge an extra $20 for their lens, but include the hood and a lens bag, people would have paid for it without any gripe, and Olympus would still have gained some goodwill.