Upcoming Panasonic Lenses (and Oly too)?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xvvvz, Jul 16, 2013.

1. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    As someone new to m43, I am trying to develop a long-term lens purchase strategy. After reading a comment about an upcoming "42.5mm f/1.2" it got me wondering what Panasonic and Olympus lenses are believed to be on the horizon. I searched the forum here and didn't find anything. Any insights on highly probable new lens models would be appreciated. I know a lot of people who are new to m43 would find the information beneficial.

2. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    43rumors.com is always good to browse for rumors (some reliable, some not so much.)

If there's a public roadmap by either company, it will be found on that site.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Neither company has released (or leaked) a lens roadmap that I'm aware of. Beyond the 42.5, Panasonic has also announced a 150mm f/2.8. The only rumors of a lens from Olympus that I have seen involve something like a 12-40 zoom which would be faster than the kit lenses, but that lens has not been announced.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are rumors of Olympus making a 25mm. The problem with rumors is that they often don't happen and sometimes when they do they are let downs.
  5. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    To save others some time, here are the lens rumors (some are reality already) from the most recent 10 pages from the rumors blog (the text is not mine, it is just some intro text from the rumor blog):

Well known 20 mm 1.7 Update
    (FT5) Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 II will be announced tomorrow (June 27) at 5am London time. | 43 Rumors

Rumors about a possible release of a new Olympus 25mm f/1.8 MFT lens are floating around since end of 2012.
    (FT2) Is that the design of the upcoming Olympus 25mm f/1.8 lens? | 43 Rumors

But will there be some new lenses too? The two 42,5mm f/1.2 and the 150mm f/2.8 lenses will hit the stores in early 2014 only. But there price and first preorders may be announced along the GX7. Today a trusted source told me that also a couple of current zooms will be updated like it just happened with the 14-140mm lens. No other “completely new” lens will be announced this year.
    (FT4) More current Panasonic zooms will be updated within 2013. | 43 Rumors

According to trusted sources the launch of the new Schneider MFT lenses has been delayed by at least six months. The reason for this are the limited production capability. But don’t worry they will come for sure :) One of the sources also told me that the lenses will cost less(!) than 1.500 Euro. As you know there will be three of them, the 14mm f/2.0 the 30mm f/1.4 and the Macro 60mm f/2.4.
    (FT5) Delay on the Schneider MFT lens release. | 43 Rumors

Black Olys - Prices in YEN of the new Olympus Black Lenses:
    The 17mm f/1.8 will ship in September for 62,475 yen
    The 45mm f/1.8 will ship in June for 36,750 yen
    The 75mm f/18 will also ship in June for 124,950 yen
    (FT5) Black Lens shipping info and YEN price. | 43 Rumors

Voigtlander Nokton 42,5mm f/0.95 lens:
    The lens will ship in July for 1199 Euro. And according to the poll results it looks like only 10% of our readers are going to buy that lens.
    Panasonic super small MFT and Nokton super fast lens. | 43 Rumors

Samyang 16mm f/2.0 UMC CS lens. It will be made for both, Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds mounts.
    Samyang will soon announce the 16mm f/2.0 for FT and MFT mount! | 43 Rumors
  6. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Wouldn't it be nice if Panasonic produced a 12mm pancake.

My first digital camera was a Nikon CP8400 which had a 24 to 85mm (equivalent) lens. It served me well for eight years before failing. But I shall never forget how useful I found the 24mm end of the zoom range.

I am aware that Olympus make a 12mm (24mm equivalent) prime but (a) It is overpriced, and (b) The test reports are not all that encouraging (my Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 outperforms it and cost a good deal less).

Anyone else waiting for a miracle - perhaps Sigma will come to the party ?
  7. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Isn't there also a Tamron 14-150mm coming soon?

I hope to buy the new Panasonic 14-140mm before the end of the year and use that as my all-purpose lens.
  8. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Here are the Olympus Zoom patents from a couple of months ago. I would expect to see some variation of these coming soon.

12-40mm (f2.8-4 or f2.8 constant)
    Patent: Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8! | 43 Rumors

40-200mm f4
    Olympus 40-200mm F4 ã￾®ç‰¹è¨±ï¼šã‚¨ãƒ³ã‚¸ãƒ‹ã‚¢ã￾®å—œã￾¿ï¼šSo-netブãƒ*ã‚°

An interesting rumor is the one where Olympus is designing a 400mm f4 for the Sony A-Mount and the A-Mount will be going mirrorless in 2014. Could this lens be brought to m43? Or will Olympus design something like a 300mm f4 for m43.

(SR4) The 400mm f/4.0 lens will be the first designed with Olympus! Coming early 2014. | sonyalpharumors
  9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    40-200/4 is interesting. All of these rumours.
  10. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    The 40-200 f4 is an actual patent. So Olympus is considering it.
  11. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I'd really (really!) like to see this one become a reality. A 300mm f/4 would be even better, but anything with at least a constant f/4 would be a vast improvement for wildlife shooting.
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unfortunately, if this is designed for the A mount, that means APS-C, or even 35mm FF, image circle. That would be a big lens if designed for APS, and a huge lens for FF. Not sure that's something I'd really want to use routinely on my m43 gear.
  13. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    The 40-400mm f4 patent was specifically for the m43 mount. Only the 400mm F4 was designed for the A-Mount. Although at longer focal lengths and similar apertures the difference between m43 and even FF is minimal as the largest front element would be the same size.
  14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The size of a relatively long telephoto lens is dominated by the Max aperture and focal length. Having to cover a slightly bigger image circle doesn't make that much difference for any 200mm f4 lens, compared to the constraints that it be 200mm, and be f4. That's the main reason why 4/3 telephotos were really not any smaller than APS-C or even full frame telephotos of the same focal length and aperture.

Olympus and Panasonic obviously realize this, and that's the main reason all of the compact telephoto lenses in m43 tend to be 1 stop slower than the closest comparable lenses in 4/3. Interestingly, the one lens for which this is NOT the case, the 75mm f1.8, is both as large as comparable full frame lenses of the same speed, and it's also the sharpest lens in the system.
  15. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I don't really understand all the *fast* wide-angle primes. Something less expensive at 2.8 or even 3.5 would be fine, although I guess it would compete with the zooms. But I don't need fast wide-angle enough to pay the prices for them. But then I'm happy with just one fast lens (the 20mm), since I'm always trying to get *more* DOF out of the others. :)
  16. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    For m43 a relatively fast wide angle prime like a 7-8mm f/2.8 would be very useful for indoor shots and landscapes since at f/2.8 you already get relatively big DOF for such a short FL.

But making at a 7-8mm f/3.5 and putting the price close to the Oly 45mm f/1.8 would be great.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app