Upcoming Olympus 17mm f/1.2 Pro Lens - thoughts?

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Looks to be big and heavy. But the lens does say Pro so it's pretty self explanatory. For everyday carry there are the Oly 17mm f1.8 and PanLeica 15mm f1.7. There's an option for everyone, a sign of a healthy well rounded system.

MillsArt

Mu-43 Regular
How much does the average Joe need an F-1.2mm 25mm? The M-43 format is cursed with DOF mania. Get a full frame.

Why do you seem so overly concerned how folks choose to spend their money ?

Suppose someone like myself had FF, selling his A7rII and choosing to go for a EM1.2 because its feature set is greater than its sensor size ?

Suppose I also bought a 25mm f1.8 for when I want a lightweight kit, since its a good lens and its so cheap used, and yet still enjoy the 25mm f1.2 at other times???

Not allowed to enjoy fast glass if I'm a m4/3 shooter ?? I'm sure on FF it would be fine to go and drop $2200 or more on a 50mm f1.2, but a m43 shooter wants to spend a moderate amount of money on a high quality lens costing just over a grand and its "DoF Mania".....

I'll be sure to get your approval before making any more MFT purchases so I can make sure I'm holding up the status quo =)

MillsArt

Mu-43 Regular
Since I have the CV17.5 and PL42.5, I'll probably wait to see if Panasonic might make a 17mm Nocticron. 35/85 are so useful as a combo, I'd like the rendering to match closely.

Don't let DrDave catch you owning not one, but TWO, ridiculously fast lenses for m43. He'll turn you into the Average Joe police and they'll force to you buy a FF camera lol

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why do you seem so overly concerned how folks choose to spend their money ?

Suppose someone like myself had FF, selling his A7rII and choosing to go for a EM1.2 because its feature set is greater than its sensor size ?

I'll be sure to get your approval before making any more MFT purchases so I can make sure I'm holding up the status quo =)
Ok you can get a Panny Lieca 25mm f1.4 like me but nothing any faster.

Lenny

Mu-43 Regular
How much does the average Joe need an F-1.2mm 25mm? The M-43 format is cursed with DOF mania. Get a full frame.

The average joe is content with their smartphone, shooting EVERYTHING in portrait ¬_¬

In all seriousness, I'm not massively bothered with DOF especially being as I treat the 17mm focal length as medium wide-ish (?), what excites me most is the ability to video in lower light with the added bonus of shooting stills with a faster shutter. Can't wait for the release of the lens! Although it'd most likely be many many months before I muster the courage to fork over the cash for it...

Hamsong

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bradley Hanson
Having left Fujifilm after 4 years, it's weird to see the 17 f1.2 so long and skinny after the tiny Fuji 35 f2, which was also weather sealed. I love the idea of pro build quality on fast primes as that's all I use, but I wish the lens was f1.4 if they can't make it shorter and wider to balance better with the cameras. I have the 25 f1.2, which looks positively WEIRD on the Pen F. It's honestly one of the best lenses I've ever used (including Leica primes), but no fun as a day to day lens. I keep my 25 f1.8, which is also a shockingly great lens, for that. I would have preferred a shorter lens, but it is what it is. I may be convinced to try it as it would have practical applications in low light weddings, but it's not going to be a replacement for my beloved 17 f1.8, which is a perfect day to day lens with lovely bokeh already.

Last edited:

Hamsong

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bradley Hanson
One of the undervalued assets of a fast prime is A) The flexibility to have additional DOF control if needed, B) The ability to have a faster shutter speed in low light and especially for M43 systems, which gather noise slightly faster than larger sensors, C) The ability to use a lower ISO. The IBIS is wonderful for making sharp images in low light, but if the subject is moving, you need to let in more light and have a faster shutter speed to stop the action. Even the difference between 1/30th and 1/60th can make or break the shot.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I really love these pro lenses for build and quality, but I have no need for f/1.2. It gets too shallow for me. The only exception is a ~45 for a portrait (even then, I rented the Panasonic and couldn't justify it at the time). I'd much rather have a weather sealed/well built (physically and optically) f/1.8 that is sharp wide open. But since it costs a lot, I'm guessing they pushed for f/1.2 because they'd get more interest. The current f/1.8s are "close enough".

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
<snip />
In fact, I almost always use zooms on my E-M1s. The smaller Oly primes go on my Pen F.

But more power to anyone who finds the PRO primes speak to them.
Ditto. The 12-40/2.8 is the default on my E-M1, alongside the wider and longer f/2.8 zooms. The 17/1.8 is the default on my Pen F, alongside the other primes. The 75/1.8 is special and can't fit on either body.

I do like 17mm, and if I were to be tempted by an f/1.2, that would be the front runner. I'm just not convinced that I'd want to displace the little 17/1.8 on my Pen F for a much larger 17/1.2.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
These are probably going to be rather expensive lenses, so only people with more money than sense will buy then. So who cares?

Someone should check this out with the Photographic Equipment Procurement Police.

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran

The average Jo(e) needs nothing more than the camera built into her/his smartphone these days. Actual cameras are for hobbyists or professionals in modern times.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
The average Jo(e) needs nothing more than the camera built into her/his smartphone these days. Actual cameras are for hobbyists or professionals in modern times.
Or for $300, you can get an Olympus Air to put on it and take freaking great pictures with the advantage of having a really good touch screen you can actually see in the daylight. Why can't M-43 make their screens this good.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Crap I don't want this lens but I'm doing a duck hunting project and this lens is freaking PERFECT for shots in the blind. Low light, weather proof, and decently wide. Perfect for the environmental portraits I want. dammit lol

Latest threads

Top Bottom