Upcoming Olympus 100-400 price and size?

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I have some questions after reading this part of the M43 Forum. Is it a FACT that the new announced Olympus 100-400mm lens is a modified Sigma Lens or is this speculation? I currently use a G9 with the Panasonic 100-400 lens and I am NOT satisfied with the performance of the lens at 400mm. It excellent at shorter focal length, but IMHO, at 400mm, the resolution is just not there. So what are the informed expectations for the new Olympus 100-400mm lens ar maximum extension (400mm)?
Finally, is there any good guesses as to when the Olympus 100-400 lens will be available and what are the guesstimated pricing for this lens in USD?
My posts were based upon info from Photo Rumors website where it listed many specs, the price as $1,499 and the delivery date of Sept 8th.

Far as the sharpness at longer focal lengths, this is what I want too. Many who own the Panasonic 100-400 say that it is soft at the long end, others say their copy is fine. I considered buying it for my G9 last year but this is what kept me from doing it. Now that I have the EM1.3 I want a Olympus 100-400.

And whether or not the new Olympus 100-400 is based upon a Sigma 100-400 design, Olympus has already made many improvements to the design, so who cares? It will be an Olympus lens, not a Sigma lens, and better because of it.

Last edited:

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
Just received an Olympus email: AUD$2,299.00 and available end Aug. Also teh OMD 10 Mk IV $1,299.00 in Mid Sep

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I made the point sometime ago that this lens would have to be cheaper than the PL100-400 in order to compete effectively. It turns out to be cheaper, and has a number of unique selling points to make it a very attractive option. But it will be interesting to know how it performs with a Panasonic camera, especially with one of the converters fitted.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I made the point sometime ago that this lens would have to be cheaper than the PL100-400 in order to compete effectively. It turns out to be cheaper, and has a number of unique selling points to make it a very attractive option. But it will be interesting to know how it performs with a Panasonic camera, especially with one of the converters fitted.
In Australia I can get the PL100-400 for $1549 (genuine dealer) while the RR for the Olympus is $2,299.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
That is one of the problems with Olympus. You hear the promises. Wait. Read the rumours. Wait. See the reviews. Complain about the bad ones, cheer the good one. Wait. Hear the price. Wait. Wait for a price drop. Wait...waiting.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Apparently no Sync IS with this lens. Quote from the Olympus spec:

IS Performance
Lens IS: 3 steps*
* According to CIPA standards; with yaw and pitch applied and focal length set to 400mm.
* 5-Axis Sync IS is not supported

I think this is disappointing and I hope Olympus will fix this with a later firmware update.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Cross posted due to the Sync IS concerns:

I found the real world stabilisation explanation from Gordon Laing pretty helpful

So not Sync IS but still can use lens+body IS. Not the best explained in Olympus’s own material.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I’ll have to look at some of these videos in a bit to seek out more clarification. However, some of these omissions might be showstoppers for me, since I already own the PL. Sync IS and pro capture low were the two main reasons I would’ve upgraded. But the first is not supported and the second is not a part of the fw upgrade like focus stacking is. For stacking purposes, I prefer to use bracketing.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Short changed with the lack of Sync IS. Did they rush development or is it price cutting in view of recent lack of developments. Too many rumours not enough facts.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Short changed with the lack of Sync IS. Did they rush development or is it price cutting in view of recent lack of developments. Too many rumours not enough facts.
My quick guess [based on nothing] is the lack of Sync IS is to differentiate the 100-400 to the 150-400 pro only.
We will have to wait and see if the IS provided on the 100-400 is a good as the Panasonic 100-400 or good enough.

When I tried the G9 & Panasonic 100-400 I was impressed.

I hope the Oly lens IS is OK, if it does match or come close to the Panasonic offering I think Oly may have missed the boat. But still hoping the Oly version will be OK as it was one of the reasons I purchases the M1.3

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
My quick guess [based on nothing] is the lack of Sync IS is to differentiate the 100-400 to the 150-400 pro only.
We will have to wait and see if the IS provided on the 100-400 is a good as the Panasonic 100-400 or good enough.

When I tried the G9 & Panasonic 100-400 I was impressed.

I hope the Oly lens IS is OK, if it does match or come close to the Panasonic offering I think Oly may have missed the boat. But still hoping the Oly version will be OK as it was one of the reasons I purchases the M1.3
Check this article for a direct comparison to the PL 100-400.
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/micro-four-thirds-lenses/olympus-100-400mm-vs-panasonic-100-400mm/

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I’ll have to look at some of these videos in a bit to seek out more clarification. However, some of these omissions might be showstoppers for me, since I already own the PL. Sync IS and pro capture low were the two main reasons I would’ve upgraded. But the first is not supported and the second is not a part of the fw upgrade like focus stacking is. For stacking purposes, I prefer to use bracketing.
While they did a lot of comparisons (in lock down) they didn't get to do a video comparison, however, the Olympus shines in comparison to the PanaLeica at wide open apertures for sharpness. https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/mi...RZTX0cfBvGCXT3tELLk0639IXmCnQd1SzlpIvuRSsRtE0

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom